LG G5 Nougat

banman

Since I have updated to Nougat on my LG G5 I notice that when I have a VPN running Wifi Calling gets error ER81 Unable to connect, does anyone else get that?

I have tried different types of VPN all do the same, even a local vpn from Adguard Adblock will stop wifi calling, but if I run Adguard as proxy than wifi calling works as soon as there is an Active VPN ER81 show up, never that problem till I updated.

Any info about this would be appreciated,

I have contacted T-Mobile it sounds all new to them.

thanks. 

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: LG G5 Nougat

Wow, that's super weird. I personally haven't heard of this happening but I did stumble across a suggestion found on How to Fix Sprint LG G5 WiFi Calling Issue on Nougat - Androiding.how. I know it's for a Sprint phone, but it may still be of use. It mentions disabling add blocker apps on the phone. Can you give it a shot and see if it helps? Please let us know the results. Thanks!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Hey banman!  How is everything going?  I wanted to drop in and see if the steps Mike was able to find helped you out.  Were you able to solve your Wi-Fi calling errors?

- Marissa

• doubleb

I have a similar question...

BACKSTORY: I was told my area has coverage (per the store manger)... it shows on the map but never can get a signal... verify with my zip 03281! Kinda' lost out on hundreds of dollars. I kept waiting for the signal to get stronger (per the store manger).

Anyway... I want to buy a unbranded LG G5 and I grabbed your tmobile wifi router. But before I jump through hoops and buy a phone on sale... to the above similar question, if the phone has the Android update of Nougat... can I make wifi calls? AGAIN this is not a tmobile branded phone... but a unlocked LG G5.

• tmo_marissa

Hey doubleb - thanks for finding us here!  I'm sorry that you're having trouble getting strong coverage in your area - I did take a peek at your ZIP code and it looks like we have outdoor connectivity on 1900 LTE there, and improved coverage with LTE 700 - but still to be honest I think it's smart to try to plan for Wi-Fi calling for in home service.  I'm glad you asked about an unbranded G5 - T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling is service that's built into our software, not added through manual network settings, so to be sure you'll be able to use it, I would recommend purchasing T-Mobile equipment.  That doesn't mean you have to purchase it from us if you'd prefer not to - but I can't guarantee that Non T-Mobile equipment will be Wi-Fi calling capable.

Doubling back to your service concerns - have you ever contacted our Tech team and had a Service Ticket filed for your area?  Sometimes that can help provide insight into build-out plans for future improvement, and on occasion, even a timeline!

- Marissa

• banman

Yes I tried it but it doesn't work. So I have to disable Adguard cause it creates a local vpn if no vpn is runing eifi calling works once a vpn is runing it can't connect

• tmo_marissa

Got it banman - I'm sorry you're not able to operate both concurrently, but at least there's an explanation!  That definitely may prove helpful for future users, thanks for returning to let us know!

- Marissa