"No Service"- Japan


    I have an iPhone 5s that I brought over from the US. It seems that I've passed the roaming limit for my T-mobile plan after 3 months, and planning to stay for another three.



    I'm not exactly sure how this works, but how does one get a "SIM" card (for SoftBank for example) and use it, and will it be compatible with my T-mobile phone? Should I cancel the T-Mobile plan?



    If I have to go to a SoftBank store will it be hard to get a new data plan without knowing Japanese? Or should I just buy a new phone?



    Thank you friends

      All replies

      • theartiszan

        Re: "No Service"- Japan

        First your T-Mobile phone will need to be unlocked if you are eligible. You would then want to find a carrier that uses signal that is compatible with your model. You can use frequency check for that. If you are okay with losing your number you can cancel or suspend if you want to keep it.

        • tmo_marissa

          Re: "No Service"- Japan

          Hey saracresp - I'm stoked that your trip is going so well that you're staying for another few months, but sorry that you hit the roaming limit in the middle of your trip.  theartiszan has some excellent tips for how to work this out if you're thinking about using a local SIM for the duration of your trip.  I wanted to give you some links that might be helpful.  You can find out information about requesting that your iPhone be unlocked here: Unlock your mobile wireless device.  I definitely agree that if you want to keep your number, since you have a few more months to go, your best bet will be to complete a seasonal suspension on your line.  Let me know if you have any questions!


          - Marissa

          1 of 1 people found this helpful