chris13

Has anyone been charged or know what an "Upgrade Support Charge" is when buying a phone from a T-Mobile store?  I was charged this fee of $20 when I recently bought a Galaxy S7.  I will admit I should have looked more closely at the paperwork given to me AFTER everything was completed, but the rep casually mentioned it, charged my credit card, and then gave me the paperwork.  I guess I was thinking it was an initial $20 towards the phone, as I've never been charged any additional amount on top of a phone when purchasing and I've been with TMO for almost 15 years.

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Upgrade Support Charge?

It was achange that happened roughly 2 months ago. Over the phone and in store sales there is a fee for upgrades.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • chris13

Thank you tidbits and barcodeable.  I honestly think this is a complete BS charge and it seems TMO is starting to act more and more like the typical "Carrier", than the "Uncarrier".  I've stuck with TMO through thick and thin and stuff like this from companies to their most loyal customers is very irksome.  And companies wonder why there is no loyalty anymore.

Off my soapbox now.   Live and learn.  Thanks again!

• tidbits

Have to consider this too. They need money and throwing all these perks isn't helping.

• barcodeable

Throwing all these perks at the consumers does help T-Mobile make money.

#1. By getting a free phone or tablet over 2 year credit deal locks you to T-Mobile for a full 2 years.... so you won't be jumping ship to no other carrier anytime soon without losing all those free credits. And If you are happy with your plan and services there is no real reason to depart from T-Mobile.

#2. T-Mobile will be stealing so many customers from their competitors.... this is a Carrier War and T-Mobile has an unbeatable strategic plan that is working. The other carriers have to scramble to come up with a solution before all of their subscribers leave them.

• tidbits

barcodeable wrote:

Throwing all these perks at the consumers does help T-Mobile make money.

#1. By getting a free phone or tablet over 2 year credit deal locks you to T-Mobile for a full 2 years.... so you won't be jumping ship to no other carrier anytime soon without losing all those free credits. And If you are happy with your plan and services there is no real reason to depart from T-Mobile.

#2. T-Mobile will be stealing so many customers from their competitors.... this is a Carrier War and T-Mobile has an unbeatable strategic plan that is working. The other carriers have to scramble to come up with a solution before all of their subscribers leave them.

Let's consider this.  Let's say that "free" promotion they make over the 2 year period $100 total.  Do that to 50K people who took advantage of it that's $5,000,000 they got gross.  Now factor in how much ut costs to put up a single tower (range can go as high as 5M to do so.  The one near my house costed $7.6M the company I work for help build and get licensing for that tower, and is probably the best/strongest tower on the islands).  Was it completely worthwhile?  They yielding a marginal profit far less than Verizon's $33 per $100.  They are making little to no money right now.  This $20 fee is more than likely to help compensate the fact they make marginal gains.

Competition is getting cheaper sure, but if you notice the bigger companies are still more expensive and less perks because they know it isn't sustainable.  There's only so far you can go with a 1-5% profit gains especially when new technology is around the corner.  Legere knows it'll burn him later if he doesn't find ways to increase that profit margin.  A lot of us talked about this over the past few years.  We are starting to see it with the One Plan.

• stevetjr

Yeah I just got hit with it also.  My son's G4 which is owned and out of warranty just got the dreaded boot loop issue so needed a new phone for him. It is just him and me with no land line so going online and waiting a week wasn't an option since I can't have him without a way to call me or 911 god forbid.....

I used T-Force and got them to give me a credit for the $20.  Argued I have been a customer for 13+ years and this was a little nit picky when I needed a phone immediately for which I was already paying a $40 premium because there was a web only sale that I couldn't take advantage of.

• barcodeable

I went to buy an iPhone SE from a T-Mobile authorised resseller and they didnt mention to me about an upgrade surcharge at all. I was concerned with them charging me $20 dollars for a sim card,  so i explained and showed the customer service rep that i have 5 sim cards right here so please dont charge me for $20 dollars for a sim card. She laughed and explained to me that they do not charge $20 for simcards if you are upgrading your line. I was relieved they didnt charge me for a simcard I already have. Well anyway she gave me the phone and told me how much it would cost today $56 dollars. I paid it and I walked away.... but wjile i was sitting in the mall reviewing my receipt and i noticed a $20 charge with abbreviated symbols and words next to it with a statement displaying that i did not qualify for a discount. I quickly went back to the customer service representative approximately 25 minutes later and confronted her about the charge. I asked "Why was I charged $20 Dollars for a simcard when You told me because I was upgrading my phone the simcard was free?" her reply was, " you werent charged $20 for the sim card, thats a $20 upgrade fee" GOTCHA .

SHe never explained about this upgrade fee, she did not show me the receipt until after i paid and signed the electronic display panel. I felt like i was tricked. And as tidbits stated if you purchase a phone through the Tmobile 1-800 number you will be charged an upgrade fee or whatever else name they call it "UpCharge" or whatever..... They charge you this fee because you are getting help from an actual representativ, your best bet in the future will be to order it online yourself without chit chatting with a customer service representative. but if you purchase your phone through the website you will not be charged this fee. I see this fee as a way of making extra money.... i needed the phone and I didnt wanna return it because of the $20 fee... because if i ordered it online it would take a week or so to get it.... so im just $20 dollars lighter now....