Zenfone 3 imei not recognized

dgilvin

How do we go about getting the new Zenfone 3 recognized by TMobile?

If I give the IMEI number they tell me I don't have a device with LTE or any features which is not true at all.

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Zenfone 3 imei not recognized

Hey there Where specifically are you seeing that it is not recognized? Are you trying to use a T-Mobile SIM in the phone?

• dgilvin

Hi, I've used the online tool and it says TMobile doesn't recognize this IMEI call customer service. Yes, I'm already using the sim in the phone and it's working fine.

Customer service said they do not have the IMEI attached to the Zenfone 3. She also said that the phone on file doesn't have LTE, but it does since I'm using it right now. She also said that if she enters the number I may lose LTE service. I don't want to lose services I'm already getting.

Since the Zenfone 3 has wi-fi calling and VoLTE I wanted them to work.

• tmo_chris

Ahh okay, it is possible that phone as not been entered into our database of non-T-Mobile phones. That is totally fine though since it is working and supports our frequencies. There is not going to be a way that entering a number in our system that will cause your phone to not work

• dgilvin

Ok, so if they enter the IMEI into the system it will not shut down LTE.

The Zenfone 3 is brand new and was just released this month. So it is quite possible it has not been updated into your system yet.

• dgilvin

Sorry, additionally. If the IMEI is in the system does that mean the VoLTE and Wifi calling will work?

• tmo_chris

Nahh, updating the IMEI on our system will not cause you to lose any services that you have. No need to worry.

• dgilvin

Yes I understood that. But my question was if it is updated will the features of the phone work such as VoLTE and Wi-FI calling?

• tmo_chris

Ahh okay sorry for the confusion. So services like Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE are not going to work on the phone as it was not a phone that we designed to work with our network. It is not really a matter of adding an IMEI to our system but rather more of a design limitation.

• dgilvin

Oh ok. That's a shame that TMobile keeps such a closed system when technology is advancing.. VoLTE and Wi-Fi is built in to many phones today with all the same design. You don't carry the phone I need or want, shame your company feels the need to penalize people for not overpaying on a device.

• e2k

It is essentially the manufacturer's doing (or lack thereof), at least with regard to WiFi calling. T-Mobile has released the WiFi calling phone to manufacturers. They can incorporate it into the base firmware, but the vast majority choose not to. Instead, they charge T-Mobile money to put WiFi calling into the T-Mobile specific version of the firmware.

• dgilvin

The Zenfone 3 comes with Wi-Fi calling, it's already incorporated into the phone.

• e2k

dgilvin wrote:

The Zenfone 3 comes with Wi-Fi calling, it's already incorporated into the phone.

Implementations of WiFi calling are carrier specific. What information do you have to suggest that T-Mobile's implementation of WiFi calling is baked into your firmware? If such were the case, it should work out of the box regardless of the IMEI #.

Hey, tidbits, do you know anything about this model supporting WiFi calling? If I recall correctly, iPhone models 5s and later, Nexus 5x & 6p, and the new Google Pixel phones have WiFi calling. I also think you mentioned a couple of other models that don't have to be TMO branded. Can you refresh my memory? I'll add them to my list. Thanks.