How is it showing in my usage the my husband was texting me, but they didn't come to my phone?

lmckeown

I was looking in my view usage and it showed incoming and outgoing texts from my husband, but they didn't come to me. Is there a way he can make it look like he's texting me, but it's someone else?

All replies

• tmo_chris

This is pretty strange as there is no way to alter the usage details on my.t-mobile.com. When a phone sends a text message to a certain number, the network records which number the message was delivered to and which number is was received from. Are there any messages in your usage from your husband that do sync up with what you are seeing on your phone?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_chris

Hey there! I just wanted to check in with you to see if you were able to get any additional information on this?

• barcodeable

im trying to understand what is occurring.

you checked the usage on your husband's line and you see in his call log that there are text messages to your number ? And you also stated that you checked his line further and it appears that he has been receiving text messages from "your number"????? and you have not made any text???? 

I think i know what could be the reason, but you have to provide me with a little bit more information for me to be certain.

#1 What phone do you have ?

#2 What Phone does your husband have?

#3 Have you confonted your husband about these abnormalities concerning these text?

#4 Did he show you his phone so you could see the content of these socalled text ?

#5 Who is the tech savvy person in the house?  

#6 Do you share your google or iTunes account with your husband?

i need all of these questions answered in order for me to give you my synopsis. I think i know whats going on, but i wanna be sure.

• amandafrost

I'm having a similar issue with my husband's and my phones. I'm hoping you could give me your thoughts as to what could be going on. To answer the questions you asked the original poster, he and I both have the Samsung Galaxy S8. I confront him about Web and app activity regularly (since there's often activity logged in the middle of the night... which he always claims is inaccurate). We're both tech savvy,  but he is more so.  He's a Web designer and programmer. And lastly, both of our phones are logged in to his email address as well as mine.  Any insight you could give would be GREATLY appreciated.

• barcodeable

Hello amandafrost , Here are my 2cents Based on the information you have provided concerning you and your husband's issues as (similar to lmckeown inquiry).

I have to first say im not a huge fan of particular electronic devices and the flaws you inherit due to owning these said devices. I prefer Apple IOS over Google Android... but i do have several phones and tablets with the Android operating system.

I believe you and/or your husband have "Android Apps" on your device(s) that are doing all of this activity. Google allows it . When you download these apps, you give them permission to text, use your wifi, even when you are not even usung these applications. I will not go down the list of the apps I suspect... but almost all messaging apps want this exclusive permission. Many of these apps want permission to use your microphone and camera of your device (even when you are not using your phone) and with the permission to text and use your wifi... all sorts of data can be transmitted without your knowledge. It is basically up to the consumer who is allowed these permissions and if you don't want to grant these exclusive "Big Brother Permissions" then delete these apps and don't use them. Some apps cone preinstalled on your device, and unless you are savvy enough to jailbreak your phone and delete these apps, you will have to live with your phone being used by companies and individual. You have to keep in mind, millions of these apps are created by regular people, if your next door neighbor created an app, and if you downloaded their app, and you give them permission to use your microphon, camera, and wifi and texting features of your phone.... let's just say your private business wouldn't be so private anymore.

There are apps that can check your phone to see what apps have permission to use your camera, wifi connection, texting. Some apps even ask for permission to use your email. I believe that would be my first start to narrow down who is using your data and texting. i don't have any of the new android devices.... so i have no idea what new features it has in it's systems setup to control the permissions you grant to the owners of these apps. Even the so popular POKEMON Go app.... mindless people walking around looking for "creatures".... they are unaware that they are filming their surrounding too!!!! all of that video data gets sent back to the owner of the app and who knows how they use that data. In my house we believe in "Pokemon No".

hopefully i was able to steer you and your husband in the right direction. If you owned an Apple Iphone my reply would of been a little bit different, but Apple apps also ask for these permissions too, so beware.

• smplyunprdctble

barcodeable wrote:

Hello amandafrost , Here are my 2cents Based on the information you have provided concerning you and your husband's issues as (similar to lmckeown inquiry).

I have to first say im not a huge fan of particular electronic devices and the flaws you inherit due to owning these said devices. I prefer Apple IOS over Google Android... but i do have several phones and tablets with the Android operating system.

I believe you and/or your husband have "Android Apps" on your device(s) that are doing all of this activity. Google allows it .

<snip>

hopefully i was able to steer you and your husband in the right direction. If you owned an Apple Iphone my reply would of been a little bit different, but Apple apps also ask for these permissions too, so beware.

So, you wrote a huge post saying "Android is bad."  That's not necessarily the case.

Permissions....  iPhone has the same... and you can control permissions similarly with Android as iOS.  So, no, that's not the case.

And, of course Messaging Apps ask for permission to send messages... that's what they do.  It's like a camera app asking permission to use the camera.  Heck, Messaging Apps have to ask for permission to your Photos in order to attach stuff to a text, and your keyboard app has to ask permission to your microphone if you want to use Text-to-Speech features it may have.

Pokemon Go -- They need access to the camera for the "Augmented Reality" stuff.  If you look at data usage, none of that is going back home [in this app's case -- I'm not saying other apps don't do that].  The AR games

I don't totally get why people freak out more about a phone explicitly asking for permission to a camera when software you may install on your PC just automatically grants permission without asking.  At least when a phone asks you, you know what it may do.

What I think amandafrost's situation may be is the fact T-Mobile translates time zones when it comes to calls (since historically talk was rated different based on night/weekends), but text / data is all in PST.  I'm in Atlanta.  If I text my sister before I head to work, it's going to say 4am in my log when it was 7am when I sent it (assuming I have my time zone math correct).

Data is worse to try to pinpoint.  There's not a log of each individual data transaction (in truth, data is the equivalent of hundreds to thousands or more requests that go back and forth.  It's not a connection that stays open like a phone call.  They're making a connection, getting the necessarily piece for that connection, then closing it.  Streaming may leave the pipe open longer, but web browsing is definitely that.  So, T-Mobile shows data activity in "groupings" that has absolutely no explanations that I've been able to see so far.  Basically, the data usage is the total from the last time there was an entry.  So, if there's an entry at 11:59pm, and then another entry in the log at 6:00am, the phone used the amount of data listed at 6am for the entire overnight time period.  That arbitrary 6am could show up at 2am, or 4am -- all because there's no explanation as to how it's grouped.

And, it IS feasible for apps to utilize data while you're asleep and the phone is on the charger (again, this is true for both iOS and Android).  Your email app is constantly saying "Do I have mail?  Do I have mail?" (though the "Push" method has a much longer time in between).  Facebook also is waiting for your friends to status update or tag you.  In fact, Apple Messenger (or whatever it's called) is doing the same thing all night waiting for your friends to IM you.  In most cases, these data usages are negligible, but when there's paranoia about "what is my phone doing?" and folks are looking at data usage, there's a lot of confusion because of them.

Finally, there's the option of hitting cellular data while on WiFi because some apps refuse to utilize WiFi and sometimes a phone will shut off WiFi in the middle of the night (in an attempt to power save) and revert to cellular when an internet request is made.  This tends to happen more on iOS in my recollections, but I'm sure it happens about as frequently in the Android world.

Now, the part I WILL say about iOS vs Android is iOS apps are "QAed" by the wonderful folks at Apple, whereas anyone can publish an app on Android.  This doesn't mean apps for iOS are better (there's about the same number of trash apps on both).  It just means Apple said "Ok, this app plays nicely with the OS and shuts down when asked" and Android doesn't go through this process.  A Solitaire app for iOS can just as easily request access to your camera or microphone as on Android.  But, the iOS app will appropriately close down when asked and not bring the phone to its knees .  That's why apps have ratings where you can see how many stars and how many reviewers (a 5 star app with 10 reviews is likely friends/family of the developer, whereas a 4.5 star app with 100,000 reviews is likely to be a quality app.

• barcodeable

If you have any questions concerning anything I have written please contact me privately. I would like to avoid upsetting others that may intercept messages that was specifically meant for you. Upsetting Android Fans was not my intentions at all. I would like to reiterate that i have several android devices, and Android devices has their pros and cons the same as Apple devices having it's own pros and cons .

Thank You for the contact request

• You say "confront."  Sounds like suspicion. I suppose anyone could enter the number being texted to and from as a different contact number with a different contact photo. Perhaps a duplicate entry of yourself or as added info to your already saved contact info.

• tmo_marissa

Hey there!  Just wanted to check in with you and see if you'd gotten to the bottom of this.  If not, Chris and our very knowledgeable user barcodeable have some great questions that might help narrow down the possibilities.  I also just want to let you know that time zones may be an issue as far as what you see in the use logs vs. what you see on your phone - so if you're seeing texts sent at 3 AM and you got a text at 6 AM, that might be just because T-Mobile HQ are in PST.  Do the messages line up when you take the time difference possibility into consideration?

- Marissa