Branched to a new discussion.

T-mobile illegally locked non t-mobile iPhone 7

ameenansari

T-mobile illegally locked non t-mobile iPhone 7. I bought iPhone 7 from target mobile. This is non t-mobile device. T-mobile should not lock this device. But it is locked to t-mobile since t-mobile sim card was used one time. Please note this iPhone was regionally unlocked in USA. But t-mobile locked this iPhone illegally. Whenever I insert non t-mobile sim card, I am getting Invalid sim card error. T-mobile escalation case number for this issue is 1331391. I need the status of this escalation. I am trying to get this unlocked for last 3 weeks. T-mobile is not unlocking it. every time they promise they will unlock it. But they never unlock. Its a nightmare for me.

Apple customer service informed me that this iPhone is locked to t-mobile. Apple do not unlock the phones. They advised to contact t-mobile to unlock the phone

All replies

• tidbits

That's impossible for more than one reason.

Apple servers controls unlocking it.  The device has to be LOCKED out of the box as there is no mechanism for carriers or Apple to sim lock devices remotely.

Target sold you a locked device.   I have a feeling if you bought it recently and used a MVNO(that piggybacks off T-Mobile), and/or T-Mobile initially is the reason why you didn't know from out of the box they sold you a already locked device.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • ameenansari

It was not locked. Originally it was regionally unlocked.I got this phone on AT&T NEXT PLAN. Why t-mobile should lock it illegally?

• tidbits

Like I said before T-Mobile does not have the tools to unlock it...  Apple has no such tool which they give to carriers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • ameenansari

If you don't have knowledge, please do not respond. All AT&T iPhone 7 are regionally unlocked from out of the box and it will be locked to first sim carrier.  Apple don't unlock iPhone , the carrier do .

• gramps28

ameenansari wrote:

If you don't have knowledge, please do not respond. All AT&T iPhone 7 are regionally unlocked from out of the box and it will be locked to first sim carrier.  Apple don't unlock iPhone , the carrier do .

http://www.imore.com/how-unlock-your-iphone-att

• ameenansari

AT&T is unable to unlock this phone since it is locked to T-MOBILE. Here the problem is that AT&T phone is locked to T-MOBILE but it is not registered in T-MOBILE database.  T-MOBILE should not lock non T-MOBILE phones which is AT&T phone in this case. Now only T-MOBILE sim card is working on this phone. I am getting Invalid sim error for non T-MOBILE sim cards

• tmo_chris

With most carriers, including us, if the phone was purchased directly from us we do have the ability to unlock it. It is totally possible that Target grabbed the wrong box when selling it to you and the phone was a T-Mobile iPhone. I can see how this is putting you in a predicament here as your purchase receipt shows that it was purchased from AT&T but it is locked to T-Mobile so AT&T will not be able to unlock it as it is not their phone and we will not be able to unlock it as you did not purchase it from us. I believe your best bet here is going to be going back to Target and asking to speak with a manager as you were sold the wrong phone.

• tidbits

ameenansari wrote:

I work with iPhones every day.  I work with the ADC program.  About 3-6 months out of the year I work directly with Apple.  There is absolutely NOTHING Apple has that allows ANY carrier to lock devices.  They are the gate keepers.  If you want to unlock your device, a carrier has to send a request to Apple to unlock the device.  Once a device is unlocked there is no way for a carrier to lock it.  If this problem was real the more people would have problems.

Now if that is a bug then Apple would be able to unlock it. Then the problem isn't T-Mobile because it is an Apple bug.  T-Mobile has no way to lock or unlock it due to the fact the device isn't even in their system to even request an unlock.

If it is in fact a bug then Apple needs to issue a fix for it.  Apple right now is passing the buck to people who have no control.

• ameenansari

I would put in different way

Go to any at&t store or target mobile. Get iPhone 7 on AT&T next plan. Insert t-mobile sim card for first time. It will allow because AT&T iPhone are regionally unlocked( supports all carriers in USA).

Once t-mobile sim is inserted, it will be locked to t-mobile carrier., If you try to insert any other USA sim card, you will get "Invalid Sim error".

You can return the phone in 14 days if you want to test this scenario

• magenta1416513

Edit - Advertisement

• barcodeable

I hate when businesses pass the buck

and nobody ever can actually fix the problem.

IF worse comes to worse you can always trade the phone in and perhaps start from scrtach,  Im unsure who is responsible.... this actually sounds like a mind numbing riddle. Bottom line you have a brick for a phone now.

T-Mobile or TARGET

AT&T or APPLE

One of these companies should be held responsible for this debacle....   

• tidbits

It would be Apple if they have unlocked devices, or devices locked through official means locking based on the sim installed. 

As a programmer that's poor planning on Apples part.

• ameenansari

I am not getting customer service email from t-mobile. I have case manager's email contacts from Apple, target mobile, AT&T. But every time I need to call t-mobile and explain this problem from beginning. They are poor in customer service, They never call me back as they promised. Any one t-mobile manager email address so that I can put them all in one loop in email. Here each one is simply pointing to others. Today I visited target mobile store where I bought this phone. Found the sales manager who worked on this case and closed without taking any resolution. He was running away from me and trying to avoid me today. He asked me to leave the store since he closed this case. Then he called the store manager and escalated to her. He was very panic since he lied to me in email conversations. He never imagined he would be me In-Person. Ridiculous.

• tidbits

It's out of their control.  T-Mobile has no way of locking the device irregardless of what the Apple and AT&T reps say.  You can keep going back to T-Mobile and you will get the same results.  This is a problem if you search you will find out it happens more often than people think, and it comes down to how Apple coded their phones as carriers have NO control on who locks the device unless the IMEI is in their system, and it has to phone home to Apple to do anything, and since there is no locking mechanism that carriers have and Apple doesn't code their servers that way then Apple created the bug and they have to fix it.  AT&T has the IMEI in their system, and you have the receipt.  Apple should easily be able to go into their system and unlock it without the need of a request from T-Mobile unless someone LIED to you when they sold you the phone, and it was originally locked to T-Mobile and they hacked it to work on other carriers and the update broke the hack to do so.

• ameenansari

If I start using this phone on my wife's t-mobile prepaid, will this phone's IMEI be updated to t-mobile database ? AT&T claim that this device is non AT&T device. Currently  this IMEI is not in AT&T or T-MOBILE system .

• ameenansari

Where should I file complaint for this problem? My BBB & FCC complaint did not work out. FTC would be able to help me ? I am afraid about attorney's fee if I proceed to file law-suit

• tidbits

Apple it's their system.  If the device is supposed to be unlock and their bug is stopping it from being unlocked, and their system has no failsafe for things like this from happening then they will probably just give you a new device.  I believe this isn't the first case.

• ameenansari

It will not be in the database even if you use the phone on their system sadly.  The only time T-Mobile inputs IMEI's into the system is when manufacturers give them IMEI's.  That's how they differenciate between carrier versions and

unlocking terms.

=> If this is true, then AT&T should have this IMEI number in their system but they do not see it.

Message from AT&T when I submitted unlock request

Hi, Ameenansari.

Thank you for contacting about unlocking your Apple iPhone 7 A1660 device.

We're unable to approve your request because the IMEI number provided doesn't match a device that's currently on the AT&T network.

To make sure you have the correct information, recheck the IMEI number by dialing *#06# or check the device settings.

Please try submitting a new request .

For more information about unlocking a device, check out our device unlock support page.

Thanks for choosing us,

AT&T

This is an automated email. If you reply to this address, we won't get it.

• tidbits

It will not be in the database even if you use the phone on their system sadly.  The only time T-Mobile inputs IMEI's into the system is when manufacturers give them IMEI's.  That's how they differenciate between carrier versions and unlocking terms. 

• tidbits

If that's the case then you never had the iPhone on a next plan as the next plan you would have to request AT&T to unlock the device and the IMEI would have to be in their system. 

• barcodeable

There is another active thread where another t-mobile customer is having a similar issue as it relates to a blocked phone that can't be unlicked.

A T-Mobile rep has eluded to there may be a glitch of some type when the phone get locked. I guess all I can say us try and be patient, maybe T-Mobile will fix all of our problems

• barcodeable

On the other similar thread, the guy lost his phone contacted T-Mobile to let them know it was either list or stolen. T-Mobile Locked the phone to prevent someone from accessing the phone and using it due to it being stolen goods. So the guy actually found his phone a week or so later and contacted T-Mobile to alert them and to remove the BLOCK. But they informed him due to his phone being an AT&T phone they can not unblock it.

Similar issues - Similar results

• tmo_amanda

Hey ameenansari!

I'm just stopping by to see what the status of getting your iPhone unlocked is. It has been just a little bit since we've heard from you.

• joerudyg

I'm happy for those of you who have resolved this, but I'm also having the same issue and still not resolved.

I started my own thread here:
                                                      Purchased an UNLOCKED iPhone7 from Best Buy, activated it with a T-Mobile Pay-As-You-Go and now has subsidy lock with T-Mobile

• claus14302

Good morning,

I have the same problem like the original post. I purchased my iPhone 7 Plus from Best Buy in December 2016 and I paid it in full at the time of purchase. I purchased the AT&T version of the phone. However, I did not use it with AT&T. Right after I got home, I inserted the SIM card from my cell phone company, Walmart Family Mobile. They are using T-Mobile network, they are an MNVO of T-Mobile. The phone worked great with Family Mobile. All this time I thought that my phone is unlocked, since I bought the AT&T version and I'm using it with Family Mobile.

Last night I wanted to my number to H2O Wireless, an AT&T MVNO. When I inserted the H2O SIM into my phone, I got the message "SIM Not Supported".

This morning I contacted Apple chat and they told me that they do not unlock their phones and I have to talk with T-Mobile. They told me that since I used a T-Mobile SIM initially, it is now locked to T-Mobile. The phone is paid in full and I believe is not right for T-Mobile to lock my phone. Please help me !

Thank you very much.

• drewfly

I just came across this thread and I must say it reads like a blockbuster. Wicked for real. People pay full price for their new phone and they have to go through this nightmares of using it on the network they want because of some code bug? I still can't believe this.

• magenta2466327

I to just read this whole thread.  It is amazing how people who work for a company have no clue on how things work.  Though everyone on this forum tries to help.

T-Mobile and most any carrier have the tools to block/lock any IMEI.  For example friend had his phone stolen.  His Nexus phone bought directly from Google was IMEI blocked by mistake.  T-Mobile was able to fix mistake but the front line rep didn't even know that was possible.  Once escalated the mistake was eventually corrected.  Took about 2 weeks time.

• tidbits

magenta2466327 wrote:

I to just read this whole thread. It is amazing how people who work for a company have no clue on how things work. Though everyone on this forum tries to help.

T-Mobile and most any carrier have the tools to block/lock any IMEI. For example friend had his phone stolen. His Nexus phone bought directly from Google was IMEI blocked by mistake. T-Mobile was able to fix mistake but the front line rep didn't even know that was possible. Once escalated the mistake was eventually corrected. Took about 2 weeks time.

Blocking is completely different than a subsidy unlock.

• magenta2962942

Same thing with my case. The iphone I bought from walmart was originally unlock. I transferred my prepaid sim in it and then it got lock to T-mobile. Very unfair. Called apple and they say only T-mobile can unlock it. This is very unfair! Got an email from T-mobile saying that they cant unlock my phone now because I already transferred to another carrier. Why do I need to submit to their policy wherein the iphone that I have is not theirs in the fist place. This is a scam they're doing.

• tidbits

WalMart sells phones under the iPhone Reseller Flex Policy.  It is real and one of the most moronic policy Apples has. If Apple didn't have this policy and sold just unlocked phones at resellers then none of this would happen.  Also Apple doesn't give IMEI's to carriers when they sell a phone and someone pops a sim in these devices.  Welcome to the rock and a hard place.

magenta2962942 wrote:

Same thing with my case. The iphone I bought from walmart was originally unlock. I transferred my prepaid sim in it and then it got lock to T-mobile. Very unfair. Called apple and they say only T-mobile can unlock it. This is very unfair! Got an email from T-mobile saying that they cant unlock my phone now because I already transferred to another carrier. Why do I need to submit to their policy wherein the iphone that I have is not theirs in the fist place. This is a scam they're doing.