slbaker84

My device is an iPhone 7 Plus.  My neighbor is having the same issue with his new phone.  Also, assigned contact ringtones changing back to default ring tone.  Is this a known problem and is there a fix coming soon?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Hey slbaker84 - these are two issues that don't sound fun to deal with.  Is this still happening?  We don't have any reports here yet and it's not listed as a known issue, so I did a little digging online and so far I'm coming up short on reports of the phone going silent without notice.  By any chance, do you have a case on the phone that could be toggling the ring/silent switch?  Do you see the moon shaped "Do Not Disturb" icon when this happens?  How do you get the sound to come back on?

Looking for details on the ringtone issue you mentioned, I was able to find this - Why does my ringtone keep reverting to default |Official Apple Support Communities.  Although this post isn't regarding the iPhone 7/7 Plus, it seems to insinuate that the issue is related to how the ringtones were added, so I thought it might be useful.  Did you set your contact ringtones up on your phone, or on iTunes? 

- Marissa

• slbaker84

Re: sounds and alerts arbitrarily going silent

I had to convert them to the right format and put them in my iTunes library

under ringtones and now they are staying. They are ringtones that I had on

my android. And they came from an app that is not compatible with the

iPhone.

• tmo_marissa

Well, I'm glad you found a resolution!  That doesn't sound user intuitive, so kudos to you for converting the files!  Is your phone still going silent without warning, or does that seem to have been related to the ringtone issue?

- Marissa

• slbaker84

Re: sounds and alerts arbitrarily going silent

It seems to have resolved itself.  Thanks for checking on both of these

issues for me.  Now if you had a magical solution for removing the 2000

duplicate ( and some triplicate) photos caused by the migration from iPhoto

to photo ( arbitrarily changed the dates on the photos so they are all over

the place now and duplicated in the cloud with the second date) exacerbated

by the migration from Android to IPhone, I'd have all my current issues

settled.  LOL!  Unfortunately, I already know it's a manual process so it's

just going to take awhile.

• tmo_marissa

Oh no!  I wish I did have a magical solution to that!  Yikes. That's the kind of device maintenance that I would do while hanging out on the couch with Netflix.  Have you already tried looking into duplicate photo apps, or does the file name issue render those options useless?

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Yowch.  My head is spinning now, too.  At least you've given a cautionary tale for what to watch out for when hopping OS platforms!  I hope you're able to clear them out quickly and keep what's important.

- Marissa