bpshark

I have a Galaxy J7, Unlimited plan, sending MMS over the network with all the default settings (checked them all yesterday)

When I send a picture or pictures as MMS to anyone else regardless of their phone or network, it gets reduced from X MB to about 85 - 175kb.  I can see exactly what they are seeing, by looking in my Sent folder.

I have to email the pictures or videos to people every single time which is an absolute joke and not able to do this reliably (I don't even have all my contacts email addresses and would take ages to send messages this way, but I've been doing it a few times because I'm forced to.)

85k isn't even web quality, Facebook probably reduces my pictures posted around a few hundred Kb.  This is much worse.

When anyone sends me an MMS with a picture it's crystal clear. On my phone, any pix you've sent unless it's a close up, if you try to look at fine details or zoom in anyone's face it's all jagged or blurry.

All replies

• bpshark

Re: MMS sent photo quality is terrible

Someone sent me this MMS pic from VZ. It's 1121 Kb.  When I send the same picture to someone else, its sent as 173k.

1/10th the quality.  Same picture, 90% of detail lost.

Pic as received from Galaxy S5, VZ.

31650.jpeg

Same pic as sent from Galaxy J7, TMb. (not edited in any way)

. Resized_31650.jpeg

Embarrassingly bad for MMS

• tmo_chris

Just wanted to check in here and see if you are still having this issue?

• bpshark

Yes it's still happening, it's just hard to document as @tmo_lauren suggested.

I will send a screenshot later.  Basically before I hit "send" it's taking the photo (say 500kb) and in the middle bottom of the screen it will say "converting to MMS" then in the bottom right above the Send button it will say whatever size the file has been resized to, say 69k.  So it's being reduced almost anytime and is something happening in the software, I can't disable.

• tmo_marissa

Hey bpshark!  This is a long shot - I don't use a J7 so I'm not 100% on the menu - but from this Advanced messaging: Samsung Galaxy J7 it looks like it should be similar to or almost identical to mine on my V10.  Can you go into your messaging app, then check Settings, and then see if there's a menu option for Advanced Messaging settings?  If so, there may be a "Send Images In" option that will allow you to select a percentage, Original, or Best Available.  Can you see which option is selected, and try to select Original if that's not what you have enabled right now, then test again?

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Hey bpshark - just wanted to drop back in here and see if you'd had a chance to look over the photo size and resolution after Chris's last message.  Does it seem possible that the photos are being compressed because of the parameters of the original?

Just as a side note, thanks for hanging in there with all these questions - if it's a default setting, then it is what it is, but sometimes it helps to know why it's happening so that you can use a workaround.

- Marissa

• bpshark

Yes of course,  it's over 1MB.  I don't know any modern  phone which takes photos with resolution below 1MB.  Usually in the settings, the lowest setting available for maximum picture size is around 4MB.  The J7 is no different.

Yesterday I took another photo reduced to 85K via MMS and you can't even read it, which was the point of the photo (see attached).   original photo was 2.51MB and 3264 X 2448.Resized_20161128_172853.jpeg

I also installed all phone updates about 2 weeks ago, hoping there was some fix that would make a difference.  but it's still exactly the same.

• bpshark

I should add it works fine using Textra, but I choose to not use 3rd party apps if possible.  Textra will reduce it to 1MB by default, which is still perfectly viewable for sharing and overall of detail is not very much.

Samsung messaging app should do the same, rather than reducing to 1/10th this size.