oneidalake

OK, this may seem like a strange question, but should I not be paying extra on my account?  Let me explain.

We signed up for T-Mobile Hotspot Service in the spring.  I prefer to drive to our local T-Mobile store and hand them cash to pay our bill.  Call me old fashioned, but I don't hand out my credit card numbers unless absolutely necessary.

On to the issue.  For the first 3 months, I was in town, so I paid the bill the day it arrived in my inbox.  For those 3 months, there was a note on the Billing page that said 'You have made 'x' # of on-time payments'.

Here's where it gets tricky.  We live on a boat and sometimes we are not near a city when our bill comes out.  So, a week or 2 before our billing cycle ends, when I'm in town, I go into the T-Mobile store and hand them the money for our next bill, plus a little extra money (about $10 more than my expected next bill).  When the bill comes out, it says I have a negative balance (credit) and the money I previously paid covers the bill.  Basically, I always have a credit on my account and the account always says "no payment is due".  So I'm always accumulating a credit.

I noticed that since I've been doing it that way that the "you have made 'x' # of on-time payments" has disappeared and when we get our monthly bill via email, it has an extra comment on there that says "any past due balances may be paid as well".  Is this happening because I always pay a little extra?  In other words, I always have a balance, but its a negative one (a credit).  It doesn't seem to be a big deal, but I just want to make sure the T-Mobile is not looking at this balance as an overdue amount.  It almost appears it could be viewed that way by T-Mobile's billing computer logic.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Jim

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Should I stop paying extra???

That's a great question and thanks for asking.

A negative balance can show when you over pay on your account. As for the past due  comment, I think it would be difficult for your account to become past due with how Johnny-on-the-spot you are with payments. If the account were to be past due, you'd see a distinct warning when you check your balance online for example. Also, I believe you should be getting SMS messages of this too if you're account goes past due. So all in all, if you're wanting to continue to pay early, it shouldn't be a problem.

• gregtrio

Re: Should I stop paying extra???

T-Mobile will figure out a way to screw you. They always do. I hate them.