Security Update Error

pguditus

I've been getting prompted to install Software Update 3.39.531.31 (Android Security Update). I've tried installing it and every time I try I get an image of a cell phone with a red triangle with an exclamation point. It finally restarts on its own, but later on I'll get the same update notification so I assume it never installed. But it never tells me WHAT the issue is. The update notification screen looks like all previous ones so I have to think it's legit, but I can't find any info regarding this update. Anyone have this problem? Anyone know anything about this update? Anyone know what could the problem be?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Security Update Error

Hey pguditus!  How are things going with your update?  I did some checking and this is what I found regarding the icon you're describing: Triangle with exclamation point error on an Android device.  Can I ask where you got your M9 and how long you've had it?  Have you been able to successfully complete a software update before?  Hoping we can help you get to the bottom of this.

- Marissa

• pguditus

Hi Marissa,

I've had my HTC One M9 since release day. I bought it at a T-mobile store.

I've done system updates before without any problems. This is the first

problem I've run into.

Thanks,

Patrick

• tmo_marissa

Got it!  Well I'm sorry it's giving you trouble all of a sudden!  When it shows you the icon, do you see a menu with options, or does the phone just restart on its own?  Can you go to Settings > About > Software Information > Software Number and let me know what the current baseband version is on your phone?  How long have you been seeing these prompts?

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Well, that's good - it is asking you to update to the next official Software update: HTC One M9, so at least no worries there.  How are you doing with device memory and battery power when you start the updates?  Is it possible that maybe the phone doesn't meet update requirements and that's why it's not completing?

- Marissa

• pguditus

I cleared some space. I now have 2.02GB available. I tried the update

again. It downloaded the update and upon restarting, it went to about 3%

thru the install (circling arrows) and then it went back to the red

triangle screen again. That's the farthest I've gotten thru the update as

of yet.

The phone battery is normally above 60% and plugged in when I try to

update.

• tmo_marissa

Well, shoot pguditus.  I am not thrilled to be saying this, but if your phone has all of the original software and previous updates and meets the memory/battery requirements and yet this stubborn update still isn't completing, the last suggestion I have is to back everything up, complete a Master Reset and try the update again before setting your device back up.  I can't pinpoint exactly what it is that's hanging it up from completing, so it seems like the best bet is going to be a return to factory settings to complete the update.   Fair warning that resets can be a time consuming process, and I can't stress enough how important it is to back up thoroughly first - but the alternative in this case seems to be living with this error message and out of date software, which is a bummer.  Have you completed a Master Reset before?  Do you have any questions before you walk through it?

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Just wanted to drop by and see if you'd had a chance to do that Master Reset!  How is everything going?  Crossing my fingers that everything's working out for you!

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Gotcha - I know that can be daunting.  We have some pretty great backup and restore steps you can take a look at!  Hopefully that makes the process a little less mystifying - I wouldn't want you to lose any information.

- Marissa

• pguditus

I backed up my phone and did a master reset. I tried to install the update

and it still gave me the same issue as before. It downloads the update and

at 24% thru the install, I get the red triangle. I didn't restore anything

from my backup as of yet. But I am signed into my Google account because I

don't think I had a choice not to.

• tmo_marissa

Hey pguditus - just wanted to drop by and see how things were going.  Were you able to compete your update?  Did you wind up replacing your phone?

- Marissa

• pguditus

I was finally able to update my phone! I backed up my phone, did a master

reset and I had to manually run the update thru HTC's site. I couldn't

figure out what was preventing it from successfully install the update

otherwise. But I'm just happy it's now running properly. Thanks for all of

your help!

• tmo_marissa

Woo!  I'm stoked for you!  I wish we knew the root cause but honestly, after all of your work - it seems like one stubborn mystery.  I'm glad you were able to update it, even if not in the traditional OTA manner.   Thanks for letting us know!

- Marissa