"GPS signal lost" - constantly!

bpshark

When I'm driving and using GPS location high accuracy for Google Maps on my phone, I very very often get the 'GPS signal lost' error happening while using the maps.  So often in fact, that I believe there is something defective with my device.  This has happened from Day 1 of having this phone.

It happens in suburban and rural areas, whether I have a voice and data signal or not.  I just drove from Phoenix to LA, 400 miles straight over 6 hours, and it happened to me 15 times.  Everything else was active and working normally at the same time this was going on.

This is my 6th Android phone and 4th Samsung and I've never experienced anything this bad or often.  It's ridiculous!   The 3 Galaxy S's I've owned almost never had this problem. Now it's always happening.

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: "GPS signal lost" - constantly!

That's a little weird (and super annoying) that this would be happening since day one.

In order for GPS to work properly you'd need a solid data connection. I'm wondering if it's possible you may have temporarily lost your data connection or had trouble connecting to a roaming partner during your trip.

There are a few steps you can take on the phone to help get the GPS work better. You could try clearing app cache and data then giving it another shot. Making sure your APN settings are correct and testing out the data is a good idea as well. You may want to give the phone a restart and see if you have a strong connection then test out the GPS again.

We having gotten any known issues from Samsung saying this would be a problem. Keep us posted on this so we can help you further with figuring this out.

Thanks!

• tmo_amanda

Good morning, bpshark!

I hope you're enjoying your weekend. Have you had a chance to try out the suggestions that Mike made? I know you're eager to get your GPS working ASAP. If you've tried the steps above have you seen any improvement?

• bpshark

I wanted to let you know that in the last week it has not happened.  however, the previous 2-3 weeks it did happen 2 times on average. 

Of those 5-6 incidents the first couple of occasions I was driving and could not look at the problem.  Then the next 3 times I looked at it, and the signal was always strong, 4G LTE and typically 4/5 bars or better.  And wasn't near any tall buildings.

I also installed available Android updates 3 weeks ago and it still happened a few times after that.

The next time it happens I will report it, and try clearing cached data as suggested to see if it stops occurring.  Since I use my GPS for navigation about 6 times a week and usually experience two issues a week, this is a good frequency to gauge it against.

When driving to AZ and back, I definitely did not have a reliable data signal about half the time, so that partially explains it.  But the random drops, I am still trying to understand and rectify.

• bpshark

APN is correct and the default setting.  I already checked this a while back when I was having an MMS problem, and have never changed it before or since.

• bpshark

Yep it's still happening frequently.   Occurred yesterday 3 times on my 30 minute drive home.  Phone fully charged and plugged in, maximum bars on signal indicator and 4G LTE data.

This was 1 day after I installed new updates, so no available updates have helped.  I'm now running Android version 6.01 on my SM-J700T.   Build number MMB29K.J700TUVU2APK6