GN4 new update

kanehi

Just updated the GN4's firmware yet again.. I hope this new one fixes the frequently rebooting that plague the last MM update, crossing fingers.

All replies

• kanehi

Re: GN4 new update

I guess I spoke too soon because the phone still randomly restarts.  Talking to someone and then it suddenly reboots is quite irritating.  Come on Samsung and TMobile do something.  TMobile is disappointing for releasing an update that's buggy.

• tmo_mike_c

Wow, that's pretty rude for the phone to do that, especially in the middle of a conversation. Can you try something for me? If you test the phone in Safe mode and use it for a bit, does it still reboot?

Keep us posted. Thanks.

• kanehi

When the first MM update happened my phone frequently rebooted.  Someone suggested to do a backup and do a hard reset which I did and reloaded all my apps and the reboots improved.  I don't know what features are with the latest update but the problem persists.  I'll try the 'safe mode' as suggested and will do it for a week and see what happens.  Thanks.

• kanehi

I tried the safe mode but I had to revert to normal mode because some applications aren't available when in safe mode.  I guess I have to live with this reboot problem and my wife's S7 will also randomly reboot, both are MM

• tmo_mike_c

Hmm. Safe mode should only disable 3rd party apps. Were you able to test it out for even a little while to see if it restarted while in safe mode? For example, make a few calls or send some messages? I definitely don't want you to just live with the random rebooting.

• kanehi

I tried Safe Mode for a day and it didn't reboot.  I do notice that if the phone is taxed with multitasking it will freeze then reboot.   When I'm on Facebook posting and reading and a background app is running such as Slacker it becomes unresponsive, blanks out and restarts.   I've read that even users from other carriers had the same problem when they updated to MM.  Too bad I can't revert back to Lollipop. I can forgo the new feature of MM of writing on the screen to take notes even though the GN4 is off.  And I noticed Wi-Fi calling under MM is not as good as when it was with Lollipop, there's more static and people can't hear me.  Oh well otherwise it's still good except when it happens on a call.

• tmo_mike_c

Ah that's interesting. Typically, if you use the phone in safe mode and you don't have any issue, that means an app (or apps) may not be playing so well with the new software. For that, we recommend removing the 3rd party apps and seeing if the phone works better without them. If they do, it may be that the apps themselves haven't been updated to work as well with the new software. Getting the apps updated is something the developers themselves will have to do.

As for the Wi-Fi calling, that's a bit more tricky. Have you tested Wi-Fi calling in safe mode? If so, what were the results? Also, you may want to reboot the router and reconnect your phone then test it out afterward. Trying another Wi-Fi connection (if possible) is another good step worth doing.