paulr243715

I'm trying to get Wake on Wan working and having a hard time because I haven't been able to telnet or access the ARP table. Has anyone found a way to do this? Thanks!

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: TM-AC1900 Wake on Wan?

Hey there Were you able to get this set up? If not, would you be able to explain a little more about what you are trying to set up here?

• tmo_marissa

Hey paulr243715!  Just wanted to check in - as Chris said, are you able to give us a little more information on what you're trying to set up and where you're bumping into issues?  We're happy to offer any help we can, or maybe with a little more detail one of our amazing Pillars or superusers will be able to provide some input!

- Marissa

• paulr243715

Ah I'm sorry, I tried to respond a while ago but the forum was giving me an error when trying to send the reply. I just realized that it's because my profile had some required fields missing info.

I have not been able to get this set up unfortunately. I run a Plex server on my computer so when I want to watch a video from outside of my home network I like to be able to wake the computer up remotely. With my old router I was accomplishing this by sending a magic packet to a DDNS address that was tied to my external IP address. I had some issues with it at first and found that I needed to add an entry to the routers ARP table for the PC. This step is what I haven't been able to accomplish this time around, so I was wondering if there is a way to do that with this router. Thanks!

• drnewcomb2

You'll find that T-Mobile provides only limited support for some of the features of this router and will refer you to ASUS for assistance. Have you tried to set packet forwarding in the router to forward the Wake-On-LAN packet to the server in question? You may also have to open a pin-hole for that port.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • paulr243715

Oh ok, for some reason I didn't think to ask Asus first, whoops! I just put in a support ticket with them,

I have set up port forwarding, but I haven't seen anything about packet forwarding in the settings.

• drnewcomb2

I have not used port forwarding myself but understand the theory. You authorize an incoming port (protocol) to be handled by one of the machines on your LAN. When an incoming packet matches that port number it just gets routed to the specified address. (It may help if you set up that machine to use a static IP address.)

My understanding of Wake-On-LAN (WOL) is that the machine sleeps, listening to the Ethernet port for a packet that contains a string with 6 bytes with all bits set. (i.e. FF FF FF FF FF FF) to trigger waking the processor.  This is normally an Ethernet broadcast packet. But you can't generate a broadcast packet from the WAN. It has to come from the LAN. That's where it gets a bit fuzzy for me.

There is a Wake-On-LAN tool in the Network Tools page. Have you played with that to see if the device will actually wake. If you set remote administration, you might be able to log onto your router and use this tool. Also, it may not work over WiFi.

1 of 1 people found this helpful