When is paid off NOT paid off?!?!

eddiewill9@gmail.com

I see a LOT of this kind of issue on the site and no 2 answers are the same... That's a bad sign.

Last month, I paid my bill (we'll say $100). The next day, having a bit of extra cash, I decided to go ahead and log back in and pay off the EIP on 2 of my phones. So... Bill paid and ZERO now owed on the two phones.I'm happy; next month's bill will be lower, or so one would think.

Fast forward to THIS month. Not only is my bill NOT lower, it's CONSIDERABLY HIGHER due to some new "Final Charges". 

I called t-Mobile. Spoke to a very nice young woman who seemed to that repeating the same thing that made no sense would somehow cause it to magically make sense. She said that the money didn't go to the the phones, it went to the bill (no, it's very clear as BOTH of those phones show ZERO balances and are marked as "Closed" on my EIP account page (not to mention my regular bill would be lower this month as I would have overpaid). Also, what would have triggered this "Final Charge" if I had NOT paid on the EIP amounts.

Doesn't make sense on several levels here, folks...

My eyes got crossed weeding through similar issues on the site. Hoping someone actually knows what's up here and how to proceed. Many thanks!

All replies

• tidbits

Re: When is paid off NOT paid off?!?!

Do the math it comes out correct. The problem the EIP is paid forward but you habe credits. It's a weird way to do things.

What happens

You pay $100 for EIP

You have -100 credit

Bill happens $100

0 balance

Next bill $100

EIP $100

you owe $200 for current month and EIP as the previoud $100 paid went into the previous bill.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • eddiewill9@gmail.com

Then how is it both phones are now marked zero balance and closed? It

appears as rhough the money did go into EIP and not the bill. Am I missing

something?

• tidbits

By regulation there has to be a "bill" sort of thing.  On the system it shows you PAID it sure, but there is no paper trail.  Since they have to post a bill it ends up being the next billing cycle.  Since they already have  your money they posted a credit.  So it happens like the above example I gave.  There's other threads like this one, and the results have always been the same when you do the math.

Pay EIP ($200)

-$200 credit

First Bill(No EIP posted) $100

-$100 credit

Next bill (EIP shows up) $200

$100 due

no matter which way is sliced 2 months is still $400, and $100 of it wasn't paid for over the 2 month span.  A lot of people have posted about this frustration, but the timing of the EIP is what goofs people up the most.  I have paid roughly 15 EIP's in the past 2 years, and the first time I got the sticker shock as well.  After that I realized how it's done.

• tmo_amanda

Hey there! I totally get how this can be confusing. tidbits has done a great job of breaking down the bill after an EIP payment is made. I understand what you're saying about the phone showing it is paid off. The reason for this is because the EIP that was due (that you made a payment on) should be showing as a charge on your most recent bill. If you're showing the remaining EIP balance as a charge and a $0 balance owed on the EIP then everything is fine and dandy.

You may also find this helpful. At the bottom, you'll see: "Before you make an extra EIP payment, we suggest you make a note of the amount due; this amount is still due for your regular monthly service. The extra EIP payment applies at the end of your bill cycle. This payment creates an offsetting charge on the following bill and the net result is a reduction of your EIP balance by that amount. Your extra payments do not reduce your monthly installment; instead, they reduce the number of installments left to pay."