JOD handset pricing question

frederickdawg

Hi,

The prices of the S7 and S7 edge on T Mobile website shows a $50 saving, is this only good for new customers or would the Jump on Demand price be the same - meaning based of the total with saving or without?

I ask , because my wife wanted to JOD on the S7 edge when she saw the price was reduced. The kind lady on 611 mentioned that this was for new customers but she would still deduct $50 from the JOD lease agreement. Looking at the JOD lease agreement, the total amount for the S7 edge was over $799 with taxes, not the currently advertised price of $739 plus taxes. Her monthly lease figure is $33 before taxes.

I feel I am a little confused. The lease part of the billing on My Tmobile shows the S7 edge total lease amount being $594 and purchase option being $110.99. Am I right in thinking the full price of the handset is lease amount + purchase amount ? If so the figure is $704.99 .

The more I look at the past devices we have leased the more I get confused. Example, her previous device iPhone 6splus 64GB was $28 before taxes, my previous handset an LG V10 was $25 per month before taxes . yet the total lease amount was $599.

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: JOD handset pricing question

Hiya frederickdawg - I don't blame you for being confused!  It's tough to tell you exactly what your final pricing is without looking at your account - we don't have that access here, but I can answer a few of your basic questions!  The full price of the device on a JUMP! On Demand Lease is indeed the lease balance plus the purchase option price (plus any down payment you may have - this is rare but depending on the MSRP it does happen from time to time).  The length of the lease is 18 months - so the pricing you're looking at, $594, is consistent with a $33 installment.  The LGV10 example you provided sounds more like an Equipment Installment Plan than a Lease - there's no purchase option price on an EIP, and it's divided out over 24 months instead of 18, although sometimes the final installment is a little higher or lower.  In that case, it makes sense that a $599 device would cost $25 a month on an EIP, because the balance is broken up over a longer period of time.

To get the best answer about your specific plan for the S7 Edge, though, I'd recommend that you reach out to us via T-Force by clicking on either the FB or Twitter icon on my badge below.  That way we can take a look at your account specifics and answer questions about taxes and how this price match was provided, because the plan amount and purchase option price you're seeing definitely aren't adding up!

- Marissa

• tidbits

From my understanding payment stays the same. With JOD the tax is added and that's why the price difference with some states taxes will make the device $40-50 different as you don't pay the tax up front. You just pay that up to 18 months where the last 6 months is lump summed if you want to keep that device.

When you got your iPhone was it last year? If so then you may have gotten it during a promotion and that's why it is cheaper per month. I pay $12 per month due to a trade-in and a credit of $15 iirc. I would have to check my bill for the exact amount.

• frederickdawg

@tidbits;The iphone 6s plus was definitely not the promotion price as that had ended a few months prior, she got the Iphone 6s plus 64GB in rose gold back in Feb of this year on JOD,

@marrisa, I have attached a screen shot of the active and completed leases, also a screen shot of the bill summary, ( previous cycle with iphone 6s plus)

One thing I also do not understand is the column "monthly jump lease payment includes estimated taxes" , shouldn't that column read " ... not inc estimated taxes"? Since if you look at the bill summary screenshot the figure is presented there with taxes. Still dont understand how more expensive devices were cheaper on JOD back in Feb 2016 inc the V10, thats if I am looking at it correctly, which perhaps I am not .Was under the impression as Marrisa said, total lease amount divide 18 = monthly payment.

activelease.jpgcompleases.jpgbillsummary.jpg

• tidbits

Check your detailed billing on your PDF not the summary billing. It will show on that if that's what you pay.

• tidbits

If it was 18month then there shouldn't be a buyout option as you would have paid in full in 18 months. At that point it isn't a lease.

• tidbits

Feb of this year there was a promo for the 6S. As that's what I got in December and I believe that promo was extended until April iirc. Don't quote me on that. I just remember I took advantage of it because it made the 6S cheaper for my stepfather and most of his family used idevices.

• tidbits

Also don't forget down payments.  IIRC back then if you wanted the 64GB iPhone you had to put $99 down and there was a promotion which I don't remember when it was $100 credit which was off the down payment.

• frederickdawg

Yeah, she definitely paid a down payment of $100 for the iphone 6s plus 64GB The promo for the iphone would have given here the credits and phone would have been about $15 or something..She paid $28 plus taxes it would appear.

She also definitely didnt get the promo pricing on the iphone . I dont recall if I paid anything upfront for the V10 or not to be honest.

So going back to my original question, is the $50 off the S7 Edge and S7 just for new customers? I think not.

NewNewiPhonePricingTable.png

• tidbits

OK I think I figured it out. The new JOD doesn't want a down payment. Since there is no down payment the amount per month is going to be higher than a Normal EIP.

Example

700-0/24 = $29.16 that's JOD without down payment. So you pay this over 18 months with a lump sum of $175.12 for the last bit.

700-100/24 = $25 a month due to the down payment and is spread over 24 months.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    • tidbits

Seems like you got a better deal if that's the price it shows. The break down shows you are saving like $80 even with the $50 for new customers you pay less than they are. If you payed full retail it seems you'd be paying $198 instead of $110 at the end of the lease.

• tmo_marissa

Hey frederickdawg!  I just wanted to check in and see if you'd had the opportunity to reach out to a team with account access and have your installment plans reviewed!  Were we able to shed any light on this for you and confirm what the total pricing was for this Leased equipment, and determine whether or not that previous phone was on an EIP or a JUMP! On Demand Lease?  I hope you were able to get some firm answers!

- Marissa

• frederickdawg

Hi Marissa,

I have not called T Mobile up yet or spoken to T Force, been a little busy. So do you see what I am trying to say? Handset was more expensive yet the JOD price was cheaper (iphone)  that was one question.

Question 2, and I have attached a couple of images, under "leases" it mentions "incs taxes etc " but when you see the line item there is tax on top of that , so in essence the so called $28 iphone device which says inc approximate taxes includes none, as the tax is added to bring it up to $33.33 and other example the S6edge+ $20.50 inc estimated taxes and fees, shows a tax amount $4.85 which brings it to $25.35, so unsure why on that page it states incs approximate taxes and fees, perhaps it should not state that. The last image, shows the S7edge, again "inc estimated taxes.." for $33, but I believe the tax ( no screen shot to show ) is about $3.95 to make the JOD price total of approx $36.95.

In a nutshell they were my two questions, why under lease details it mentions inc taxes and also why other phones on JOD were priced cheaper but some were more expensive but cheaper to lease, no promo was done either. Think I figured the price bit out on the iphone, could have been $150 down at the time on JOD to make lease lower hence the $28 per month plus taxes, also the residual could have been better? I dunno.

But the main query being the  estimated taxes, a bit misleading, as I believe the JOD contract also states the lower figure mentioning its with estimated taxes. Thanks.

PHEW>>> Normally dont jabber like this, sorry.

taxesfees.jpgcompletedleaseapple.jpgs7lease.jpg