Note 7 recall saga is far from over, right?

gtothewall

Fellow T-mobile customers.  Like many of you, I was and am a member of the all too familiar Note 7 debacle.  I went from a pre-ordered Note 7, to a "loaner" S7, back to the replacement Note 7 and now have an ugly silver bullet S7 edge.  Why stick with Samsung some may ask?  Well aside from waiting two years to upgrade to a Note 7 from my fully paid off S6 edge, I also purchased a fleet of now useless accessories for the Note 7, including the new Gear VR, two cases, screen protectors, wireless quick charging station, and extra USB C cords.  Since there is zero use for the cases, I've attempted to return them through Amazon, where I purchased them and I'm going to assume I'm just S.O.L at this point with those.  Same for the extra screen protectors.  The USB C cords shouldn't be an issue since there are other phones that use these and the Gear VR luckily has adapters to be reverse compatible with the S7 line.

Where @T-Mobile and Samsung need to do right by ALL customers caught in this crossfire, is in our JUMP upgrade programs.  I purposely skipped upgrading to the S7 line because I wanted to try out the updated Note series, clearly from my massive accessory purchases.  Now, after no longer having my previous s6 edge and having no choice but to essentially be forced to downgrade back to the s7 line, I will need to pay 1/2 of a phone that I didn't even want in the first place in order to upgrade to the newer line of phones coming out in early 2017.  How is this at all fair and/or the onus of the customer?  Not to mention, yes Samsung will take a loss on the Note 7 line, but I'm sure there are thousands of customers like myself across various carriers that are caught in the same mess of having to return accessories and settle for a device they truly don't want. Had nothing been wrong with the Note 7, I would have been completely content with having that device for the foreseeable future.  But the S7 edge feels and operates pretty much parallel to my s6 edge. Aside from this post, I plan on writing to both T-Mobile executive customer relations and Samsung Mobile US.

It will be interesting to see if T-mobile has the backs of their Note 7 customers with this concern because it's entirely valid.  I don't feel as if we should be further penalized for the mistakes of a manufacturer because I'm essentially paying for a DOWNGRADE.  I thought the JUMP program was to jump UP and not DOWN.

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Note 7 recall saga is far from over, right?

You have to take that up with Samsung.

Amazon will refund your accessories specific to the Note 7. I returned all mine no problem other than one item because it wasn't fulfilled by Amazon. Your VR will work with the S6 and higher as they have adaptors for it. If course you could have bought an off brand.

As for the USB c those you can save for later. Starting next year I am willing to bet all phones will be USB C. All the major players are there.

• gtothewall

What exactly would Samsung be able to do about the jump program? T-Mobile would have to step up and allow me to upgrade when the time comes because of a forced recall.

• theartiszan

Well instead of keeping the Samsung, you could have returned it instead and the jump would be back. You got a new phone, even though not the one you intended, therefore jump was used.

• gtothewall

I don't think you all understand. If I still had my old phone, I wouldn't be in this position. Obviously I would have kept it and the jump wouldn't have been used. I used the jump for the note 7 and was forced to return it without any other phone to use. I don't mind the jump being used for the phone I waited two years for. I do mind when it comes after the phone I jumped to had to be given back to then have to be forced to another device.

• tidbits

Samsung is the one that caused the mess they should be the one to fix it not the carriers.

Carriers openly expressed they would rather not be selling devices and leave that up to the manufacturers. Often carriers have to pay for the mistakes of the manufacturer as they make little to no money on the sale of devices(this has backing from Class Action lawsuits admittance by carriers and manufacturers).

Samsung offered $100 credit to move to another Samsung phone or $25 credit moving to something else.

Call me a shill or whatever that's fine, but the fact remains Samsung made the devices, and did the recalls. If they took their time, and had 3rd party testing instead of in house maybe none of this would have happened.

• tmo_marissa

Hey gtothewall.  I just wanted to drop in on this thread and thank you for taking the time to outline this situation.  You make an entirely valid point about the specific impact that the recall could have later on for users who JUMP!ed to the Note 7 and had already returned their previous equipment.  It's true that there's a possibility that JUMP! users may not have reached their 50% MSRP requirement when another device they want comes out.  I think that's valuable feedback and will pass it along - I can't guarantee if action can be taken, but I think it's a worthy suggestion for sure.  In the interim, of course I can't help but apologize for the situation you find yourself in.  I wish you had the phone that you truly wanted.  I'm glad to read that you contacted other channels for resolution as well, but still, thanks for choosing to post here on Support. 

- Marissa

• vhjrmba

Thanks for the original post gtothewall! Like you, I went through the wringer with the Note 7, replacement Note 7, and ended with S7 Edge; the phone I had before the Note & was launched. Having ordered the initial Note 7 through the Jump program, I expected that throughout this entire dilemma, the only changes made were that I ended up with an S7 Edge, and lower purchase price. Well, I found out last week that TMO didn't process the S7 Edge order as Jump, but as a regular upgrade. So, what does that mean? I now, due to an error on TMO's fault, have to wait until my phone is 50% paid off before upgrading to the S8!! I've been with TMO for over 13 years, never late, always upgraded to the most recent Samsung, or Xperia(miss them), and no representative offered to look into the order history and make this right. Marissa, I hope you do escalate this to the appropriate decision maker in Bellevue. This is not a situation we got ourselves into! Somewhere, along the chaos and challenge the Note 7 was, someone didn't think how upgrades AFTER the Note 7 replacement fiasco settled would be processed. Make this right and give me the upgrade option I deserve!

• tmo_marissa

Hey vhjrmba!  I did pass this feedback along when the Note 7 recall was in its prime, but I am totally OK with forwarding the concern one more time.  Again, I am not able to make any promises - but I do think that it's valuable feedback and I appreciate the time you've taken to chime in here with your experience.  Thank you!

- Marissa