YouTube data not going toward BingeOn

kru

I recently attempted to stream some YouTube video on my phone and quickly got a notice that I had reached my regular data cap.

I double checked that YouTube is a part of the program and that BingeOn is turned on for my account (through #264#), both of which showed that the data should not be going toward my normal data limit.

What is going on here?  Did I miss something about how the program works?  Is Binge On not finding the right data?  Are the alerts falsely triggering and my data is not yet throttled?

All replies

• kru

Re: YouTube data not going toward BingeOn

Nevermind, it looks like BingeOn does nothing if you have less than 3GB of data on the line which would include my case.

• tmo_marissa

Hey kru - you're right, there are data plan requirements for the streaming component of Binge On.  Depending on how much you'd like to use your device to watch Netflix, YouTube or any of the other streaming participants, it may be worth switching your data plan to 3GB or higher - but that's 100% your call.  <3

- Marissa

• kru

Hey @tmo_marissa thanks for the clarification.  One more quick question for you, I see the 3 GB threshold listed in a few places but when selecting a 2 GB option on my Simple Choice plan it also says that BingeOn is included.  Is this a typo?

For reference:

"Up to 2 GB of 4G LTE data. Smartphone Mobile HotSpot service included. Speeds reduced after 2 GB. Includes Binge On optimized video streaming that saves your data. No overage fees. Recommended for moderate web browsing, email, and social networking."

• tmo_marissa

Ugh - that does read weird!  Hopefully this will clarify a little: Binge On video optimization uses less data (uses your data more slowly) than streaming at the default resolution, so in that sense it is, in fact, "optimized video streaming that saves your data".  A 2GB plan is also eligible for is the 30% discount on Sling TV as outlined in the chart I linked to.  However, the aspect of Binge On that prevents this optimized streaming from counting against your data bucket at all is only available with a 3GB+ data plan.  Does that make sense?

- Marissa