atexit8

I bought this tablet Alcatel OneTouch Pop 7 LTE on eBay. Looks to be brand new.

Tried to activate the 200 MB free data plan, and the customer service rep tells me that the IMEI # is for a phone.

What?!?!   This makes not sense.

She also told me that the IMEI# did not come with 200 MB of free data.

What?!?!

The box says T-mobile.

Can someone help me????

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: why is this tablet considered a phone?

Well we know for sure that it is a tablet so you should be able to get this pass Did you purchase a new SIM card when you got this tablet or is this the SIM that the previous owner used? Also, are you activating a new account (prepaid or postpaid) with this tablet?

• atexit8

The seller kept the SIM that came with the tablet, so

I used an unactivated SIM that I had lying around.

But it is not a tablet SIM.

I have since ordered a SIM kit for a pre-paid tablet.

The CSR was so sure that the problem was with the IMEI# and not the SIM.

Was she wrong?

• tmo_chris

So the SIM card that you have in the tablet is not yet activated or it is activated with a new prepaid tablet account? Can you please try following these steps to create a connectme account if you have not already?

• atexit8

The SIM card that I tried using first was not activated. It was a SIM for a phone apparently. I inserted the SIM and followed those steps. I got nothing. The tablet would not connect. Error message: You are offline. Wifi and mobile data are unavailable. I then called T-mobile, and that was when I was told that my IMEI# was for a phone and not a tablet and thus not eligible for the 200 MB free data.

As a result, I have ordered online a tablet SIM kit for prepaid. It should arrive within the week.

• tmo_chris

What specifically happens when you go to t-mobile.com/connectme on your tablet with the Wi-Fi turned off? I know you said you got nothing but was there any sort of error message?

Getting a new SIM card may help here as there is a stipulation that only one SIM/IMEI combo can be used for a free data for life pass. My recommendation for you would be to call us as soon as you get the new SIM and ask us to active a pay in advance mobile internet account for you. After the account is activated, you can visit the connect me site again to create a new account for that SIM/IMEI combo. 

• atexit8

The error message from t-mobile.com/connectme is

You are offline.

Wi-Fi and mobile data are unavailable. The page can be loaded once the device connects to a network.

The odd thing is that the tablet can "see" the T-mobile network when I do a search for available cellular networks.

Which telephone number should I call to activate the free data?

Is there anyway to check if the previous SIM that was not given to me was used for the free data for life for this tablet?

• tmo_chris

Thanks for clarifying It sounds like there is not an active account with that SIM card that you have now. Once you get the new SIM, you can call 1-877-453-1304 from any phone to get in touch with our customer care team.

Edit: Sorry I didn't see your edits when I first started my reply. Unfortunately we are not able to see if that SIM was already used with a free data for life plan

• atexit8

Are you sure the rep won't give me the run around with the new SIM?

The one today kept saying that the IMEI# was not eligible for the free data.

Is that something you can check for me?

• tmo_chris

We are pretty limited as to what we can do here on a user forum but I sent you a private message asking for the information that we can use to check if the tablet is eligible.

• atexit8

I purchased a prepaid mobile internet SIM from the T-mobile website.

Received it today October 4, 2016.

I called in to activate it.

It seemed to activate okay.

I then went to t-mobile.com/connectme to activate the 200 MB free data, but that did not work.

I got the error message You have switched your SIM card between devices, so you will need to manage your account through My T-Mobile or the My Account app.

I called in to T-mobile again.

I was told that the SIM was activated for a phone line.

How was she able to do that when the SIM is supposedly for mobile internet?

Anyway, I am now waiting for a callback from the 2nd rep.

She says that she can fix the problem.

It should not be this hard.

The tablet is a T-mobile tablet!

• atexit8

The IMEI for this tablet is classified in the T-mobile database as a phone.

The box is a Alcatel OneTouch Pop 7 LTE and says T-mobile.

Is someone going to fix this????

The 2nd rep told me this.

So, since the tablet is classified as a phone and not a tablet, this tablet is not eligible for the free 200 MB data for life.

The 2nd rep gave me one week data pass, but it is useless since it isn't what I want.

T-mobile sure knows how to cheat its customers.

• tmo_marissa

Hey there atexit8,  I'm so sorry we left you hanging after this last response, and that it seems to be such a hassle to get your prepaid mobile internet line established so that you can get the free data for life pass through ConnectMe.  It sounds like the SIM you purchased was activated for a voice line when you called it in, not a mobile internet line - but honestly, since we can't review these details, I can't say for sure.  The steps I'm reviewing for activating a prepaid Mobile Internet line refer to activating the SIM through ConnectMe itself, so that may have been the hiccup?

Were you able to reach out to Chris to provide the info he was requesting?  We don't want you to feel cheated - we'd like to get to the bottom of this! 

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Yikes. I'm glad that you posted in that thread, but unfortunately it's not a space for an immediate resolution - it can take some time to get items added to FDFL eligibility from that list.  That said, I did check your response there, and the IMEI decoder we have access to does recognize the first 8 digits of the IMEI as belonging to a Pop 7 LTE tablet, not a phone!  I do know that tablets that have GSM voice capability are not eligible for FDFL, but I don't think that your tablet has this ability based on the specs available here on Support.

The registration for FDFL is based on the IMEI & SIM combo and has to be completed via ConnectMe on the tablet itself.  If your SIM was used to activate a voice line, then that may prevent it from being eligible for FDFL.  Since the tablet was purchased used, there may be another issue with the IMEI - perhaps it's blocked?  I certainly hope not, though.  We do have troubleshooting processes available to walk through registration issues, but they require account access to complete!  I know you haven't had luck going through this with us over the phone but we'd love to have you give it another shot.  Since you're comfortable online, you could also reach out to T-Force via Twitter or FB from one of the links on my badge below, or if there is one close by, your best bet may actually be to bring the physical tablet into a T-Mobile store near you so that we can walk through the process right there. 

I'm sorry that we're not able to offer more assistance providing the precise backstory for why you're getting these errors.  Thank you so much for being so diligent in reaching out. 

- Marissa

• tmo_darren

Hi atexit8,

I have been working on Free Data For Life issues and I can help.

I can confirm that the tablet is identified as a phone in the T-Mobile network..which is wrong (I will make the required change to remedy that)

I have also responded to you in the Free Data For Life thread.