Terrible call quality between Tmobile users

brentm77

I have gone to the store and called customer service.  Neither have been able to help.

We just switched from Verizon to T-mobile due to much better plans for the same price.  I am seriously second guessing that decision now.

When my wife and I talk to each other on our Galaxy S7's, there is a hissing notice.  Words sound very compressed.  Like a terrible internet call.  S's get slurred at the end of words.  Noises in the background sound bad too.  If I talk to someone on another network, the sound is perfectly clear.  If I call a landline, the sound is great too.  If I call my daughter's J7, the hissing is back.  But if my two daughters call each other on J7's, they are clear.  In short, it is only when an S7 is on one side of the call and the call is with another T mobile user.

Here is what I have tried to do to fix it without success:

1) turned off wi-fi calling.  Turned on wi-fi calling.  The problem is the same for both.

2) called from different locations - the problem persists no matter where we are on the network.

3) turned of LTE calling - the problem persists. 

I has a suspicion that they have turned up the fidelity on the HD calling so much that it causes the S7 to hiss when trying to output the high treble.  But customer service said there is no way to turn off HD calling.  This seems to be true, because it says HD calling no matter if LTE calling, wi-fi, or other settings are changed. 

Is it possible both S7's are defective?  What else can I try?

All replies

• brentm77

Re: Terrible call quality between Tmobile users

I found a temporary workaround.  I started using Google Voice to make calls to my wife's phone.  Calls are now clear and easy to understand.  But I don't want to have to use a third-party solution.  What is wrong with T-Mobile's HD Calling and why aren't there more complaints?  Is this just an issue with S7's?

• dragon1562

i don't think its the phone being defective if the hissing is not persistent between all calls. One thing that may be happening is some kind of interference. If you wanted to you could try placing a call over 2g i'm positive that it can not support HD calling. However i doubt HD calling to be the reason for the weird feedback/hissing. Also you said the hissing occurs over wifi calls as well correct. I would try checking your APN settings and reseting them to default. You could also try forcing the device to connect to specific frequency by going into service mode. This is odd tbh i haven't heard of people having this problem since the way old school days. Sorry if this doesn't help resolve the issue it just seems like you already tried a lot of the things i have would of suggested.

Also i would dial 611 and talk to customer care and see if they will reset your connection to the network. Also ask them if their has been any trouble with the network like congestion or something.

• brentm77

Dragon, thanks for the detailed response.  I think you are right that the devises are not defective in that they are perfectly clear, other then when making a T-mobile to T-mobile connection.  When I call through Google Voice (which means the phone is calling Google's computer and then dialing my wife), it is as clear as can be, even when she is receiving the call on the regular T-Mobile network.  That means that whatever setup they have to connect HD calls between two T-Mobile users is not working with our S7's.  I am pretty sure it is actually an HD issue since Google Voice essentially bypasses the HD connection by making both phones think they are talking to a non-T-mobile connection.  I think T-Mobile has something cranked up too high for the S7's on HD calls.

I set the APN's back to default, but it didn't help.

Tried having connection to network reset on both, but it didn't help.

Will have to play with service settings now. 

Thanks again.

• dragon1562

No problem i'm sorry i couldn't get it fixed for you. The only other thing i could suggest is using google dialer or something along those lines like you have. Although now that i think about it you should be able to turn of HD voice from your account settings i believe at least you used to be able to.

• dragon1562

So just curious were you able to come to a resolution on what the issue is because i am generally curious in case another thread like this one should pop up.

• brentm77

Not yet.  Samsung support said to do hard resets.  That is a hard pill to swallow after spending hours getting my phone and my wife's phone setup just how we wanted them (programs downloaded, icons and folders right, widgets setup, synced with Bluetooth devices, etc).  But I will give it a go sometime this weekend and see if it makes a difference.  I have serious doubts that it will.  But if it does it will be worth.  Right now, we have both our phones to always dial with Google Voice and are calls sound good.

• dragon1562

Before you jump down that rabbit whole of doing a hard reset back up your phone useing samsung kies. Its simliar to apples i cloud and does a good job at backing up most things on the device. Also be sure to do multiply back ups so maybe one to the PC and one to the cloud. I would also take screen caps of how i had the apps arranged so it will be easier to put them back how i had them.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • e2k

Try disabling VoLTE & see if that helps.

• brentm77

Just a small update.  I haven't found the time to do a hard reset yet.  So I still don't know if that is the solution.

But I was out of town with extended family last weekend and I discovered something interesting.  Whenever I called someone, I could instantly tell if they were a T-Mobile customer.  As soon as they answered, I could here the tinny sound with slurring S's.  I would say, "you must be with T-Mobile!"  And every time they said yes.  Whenever I would call a non-T-Mobile customer, they sounded great.  The other odd thing is that the person on the other end of the line thought I sounded just fine.  So, I have narrowed it down to be a problem specific to my S7 and my wife's S7.  We sound fine to callers on the other end, but they sound terrible to us when making an HD call to another T-Mobile customer.

I will post again as soon as I have time to do a hard reset.

• brentm77

So I finally did a hard reset on my S7 this weekend.  Before reinstalling any apps, I tried the phone and the problem persists.  The problem is greatly minimized when using headphones to make calls (though I think I can still slightly hear it).  I am not certain it has something to do with the high-treble on T-Mobile's HD calls and the S7 not being able to handle it without creating a slurring sound.  The odd thing is that I don't read of anyone else having this issue.  So did my wife and I both happen to get defective S7's?  That seems really unlikely, but since nobody else is complaining, it is all I am left with.

• dragon1562

If possible i would see about exchanging the devices to find out or you could see if anyone else that you know has a s7 and experiences this issue.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey brentm77 you've done a great job troubleshooting this so I just wanted to pop in and share a few thoughts I have.

We don't have any reports that this is something known to happen with this device. I'm thinking this'll be resolved one of two ways. One, the devices will need to be replaced under warranty since the reset didn't help. The second way to address this is by filing a network Trouble Ticket with our Tech Support or T-Force team. They can collection some information from you and send up a ticket to our engineering team to have them investigate the network side.

I'm bummed this has still been an issue for you but for what it's worth you've done a great job trying to fix this yourself.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • tmo_amanda

Good morning, brentm77!

Just checkin' in one more time to see if you have any updates for us. dragon1562 has been a huge help (thank you) and we all want to make sure everything is squared away or if you'll need to have a ticket filed like Mike mentioned above.