Does GPS even exist for this phone?

goose7000

I have already replaced the G5 once because the power button stopped working. My replacement phone is having the same issue, but now does not have any kind of reliable GPS location and tracking. Per several troubleshooting blogs and articles, I downloaded the GPS Status App to see what was happening. Spoiler alert- the phone is constantly looking for a satellite but unable to lock on to one. Waze and Google Maps can give me only route previews, no real time data. I have also done a factory data reset and booted in Safe Mode ( very painful process when the power button works 1 in 100 trys) with no greater result. Any suggestions?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Does GPS even exist for this phone?

Ugh goose7000 - what a bummer.  I don't know what I'd do without GPS... if I rely on my sense of direction I'll be lost as soon as I hit the highway.  There are a bunch of reasons GPS can fail, but for the network or your account to be the issue, you'd have poor signal everywhere, be roaming on a partner network, or your data would be nonexistent, and GPS would be the least of your worries. 

Deductive reasoning says that this is being caused by your device.  The troubleshooting steps you've already completed are the exact ones we'd recommend - removing third party apps or testing in Safe Mode, completing a factory reset.  The only thing you didn't mention is checking to ensure that the OS and specifically the maps app are up to date.  I'm thinking that you're not hanging on to any stray system updates, though - right?  This is going to sound so silly, given everything that you've tried, but do you have some kind of case on the phone that could be obstructing the GPS? 

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Re: Does GPS even exist for this phone?

Hey goose7000 - just wanted to check back in with you!  Is this still happening?  Were you able to reach out to Tech Care?  I was thinking about this thread yesterday while my phone completed a Maps App update... I spent 24 hours only getting turn-by-turn directions on my V10 instead of active navigation, and then - woot! - update fixed it.  Is your phone functioning any better?

- Marissa