Name ID on IPhone 7

newnew1978

I Recently upgraded from a Samsung, and I'm trying to figure out if the Name ID feature is compatible with iPhone. I have not found an app in the App Store.

Thank You

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Name ID on IPhone 7

Name ID is totally compatible with the iPhone 7 and there is no need to have the app for it to work. You only need to have the feature on your account to take advantage of its offerings. I am checking with our support teams on how to get the app if it is available on iOS 10. Stay tuned!

EDIT: Just head back from our support team. There is actually not going to be an app for the newer versions of the iPhone but you will still be able to see the City/State/Number and their Name when they call.

• Re: Name ID on IPhone 7

So apps can only ID a call on iOS after the fact via copy pasting into the app for lookup but TMobile can live ID on iOS while the call is ringing?  TMobile can override Apple settings where apps cannot?

• marshallbaer@icloud.com

T-mobile could provide "In-route" Caller ID. The same thing a home phone service provider would do. When the call is received by T-mobile, before forwarding the call the the recipient, it could Identify the callers information, and forward that data along with the call to the phone.

There is also CallKit api which is apart of iOS 10, which allows apps to provide caller ID information. This is not "override Apple settings" as this function is built directly into iOS that any app can make use of.

This is an interesting subject, since T-Mobile uses Hiya.  Hiya has an app in the App Store.  Apps cannot, however, access your calls in live fashion.  You can copy the number and search within the Hiya app, but the Hiya app (nor any other app) can inform you who is calling while the phone is ringing.  This is an iOS control, not T-Mobile.  So, the question is:  why can T-Mobile's Hiya feature (Name ID) access the call, but the Hiya app cannot?  How is it that T-Mobile can override iOS controls?

This is extremely incorrect. Apple opened the ability for developers to integrate with the device’s caller ID extension.

If the app you are using can not display Callers ID and/or Block a call, then the app is not developed to use the API made available by Apple on iOS.

Also, T-mobile uses Hiya as a "source" list of scammers/robocallers. The hiya app is not whats blocking calls. Carriers are always the ones that provide "Caller ID" aside from those in your Contacts List; Caller ID data is sent along with the call to whatever device it receiving the call. Carriers, such as T-mobile, just charge you to "access" that data. Landline providers have been doing this for years and years.

T-mobile does not access "live" calls on your device to alter the Caller Data. T-mobile is altering the data before it even reaches your device.

Caller Makes a Call > Goes to Their Carrier/Provider > Sent to Receiving Carrier (T-mobile)> T-mobile check for known spammer/caller ID > Tmobile blocks the call or sends the call (depending on what service you have enabled) to the recipient with Caller Data attached (if you pay for Name ID.)

T-Mobile reps on FB and via My T-Mobile app now state that while Name ID is included in One Plus that it will not work with iPhone.

iOS limitation.

However it is still listed as a $4 add on feature.

Confusing.

• tmo_chris

So the name ID app is not available for iPhone but you will still benefit from some of the network side features that Name ID provides like being able to see the name of a caller as if it was in your phone book. The old name ID feature is now grandfathered as the service is now included in the paid version of the One Plus feature.

Tmo_Chris EDIT: Changed word from promo to feature.

Name ID is not part of the One Plus promo; as I'm currently on that plan and I'm forced to pay $4.00 for the Name ID function.

• So Name ID works on your iPhone?

Hiya tells me they use CallKit but that real time ID is still an iOS limitation. It can potentially ID calls from a contact list and from the list of saved numbers in its app file folder.

I get there is is no app for iPhone. And I figure it is T-Mobile sending the calling information.

Also I have noticed more than several times that Hiya misses scam and spam calls that when later researched show as scam and spam in their list of numbers. But the app fails to ID them during a ring.

Tmobile spam ID and scam block also fail on my phone for some reason.

The SpamID and Scam Block are not without failure; T-mobile uses the same database for spam calls as HiYa does, as they have partnered.

If the Phone number for that call is not listed in HiYas database, it won't block/identify it. It could be listed on 10 other apps/websites, but if its not in HiYas then it won't block it.

NameID with T-mobile using IN-ROUTE caller ID. Its Identifies the Callers information when T-mobile receives the call, before the call is even sent to your phone.. Calls do not working Phone to Phone. Its Phone to Carrier to Carrier to Phone. The carrier has access to call call information at that time. Either the Callers carrier sends the ID tag information to Tmobile (your carrier) or Tmobile IDs the call and sends it to the recipient (you.)

NameID works on iOS without the need for the App, but you only get Caller ID. You don't get the other features the app offers like Reverse phone search.

CallKit on iOS doesn't allow checking information against an online database, it will only check it against information that is stored directly on the device within the stored database of the app.

Yes NameID works on my iPhone 7+; but I pay $4/mo for it.

I must be missing something.

It's not an iOS Limitation; and that's the problem with T-mobile reps, their ignorance about the devices they are suppose to provide support for.

iOS added Caller ID function the the CallKit API a while ago.

CallKit | Apple Developer Documentation - Details found under the "Identifying Incoming Caller" section about midway down the page. Or at the bottom of the page under "Caller ID"

Many spam call blocking apps using to add "Possible Spam" , "Spam Caller" or etc to the Incoming Call ID tag.. T-mobile just doesn't want to update their iOS app.