Note 4 having issues after latest updates from Tmobile

gp311
    • Android version 6.0.1
    • Baseband version N910TUVU2EPG2

Last week my phone did the update and now has the above as the latest update. Since then it has given me nothing but problems. It is constantly freezing, restarting itself, won't load, and apps take forever to load when it does seem to work for a bit. It is a real hassle as it renders the phone nearly unusable and super unreliable.

I first disabled the fingerprint. Then tried removing the sd card, wiped the cache clean, and finally today did a master reset. After getting everything back in order and set up, it still continues to have these same issues. It will work fine for a few then it freezes. I have disabled all the google apps as I read it might be an issue of compatibility with Google Now, but that doesn't fix the issue. From what I have read here others are having the same issues. Any idea if there is a fix in the works?

I have just finished paying this phone nearly off and I am not wanting to upgrade. Especially with all the problems the Note 7 is having. Please help..

All replies

• gp311

Correction on the Baseband Version:

N910TUVS2EPG2

• tmo_marissa

Hi gp311.  It's such a bummer that your equipment doesn't seem to be responding to the update well.  It sounds like you've devoted some decent time and effort to troubleshooting, too.  I noticed that you disabled all Google apps, but was wondering if you tried operating with third party apps disabled, also?  When your equipment is almost paid off, there couldn't be worse timing for a malfunction of any kind.  Were you planning on waiting for the (revamped, less scary) Note 7 and switching?
          As a last resort, you can download and use Samsung Kies/Smart Switch software to dial back the update and return to the previous version of the OS - Official Samsung Support

Thanks!

- Marissa

• gp311

I've been messing with it for a few days now, between researching on the internet and trying different things. It's time consuming and when you need the phone it's frustrating when it's not working. I don't have any third party apps, nor do I have the option enable as far as I can tell.

I was not planning on upgrading at all in the near future as I was content with the operation of this device.

I will look into the Samsung Kies/Smart Switch software to see if this helps alleviate my problems. I wasn't aware that you could choose to revert back to previous software.

• tmo_marissa

Please do give it a try, gp311.  I remember using Kies to take my equipment back to factory settings, and then selectively move through each OS update, stopping before the most recent.  To be honest, the software has changed since that time - so if you've been doing research and haven't seen that option mentioned, then the process may have changed as well.  I'm sorry if I spoke too soon.  Our official support focuses on troubleshooting existing equipment issues - and in your case, it sounds like you've done everything we would have walked you through, including a Master Reset. 
                  If you're unable to get back to the software version that you want, we may need to look into an equipment replacement through our warranty program - with all the work you've put in, it sounds like the issue may be device related.  If Samsung recognizes any known issues with the update, they'll typically introduce a patch, but there's no timeline.  You can reach out to our technical support team over the phone here: Contact Us to discuss the exchange process.

I'm crossing my fingers that this works, though!

- Marissa

• tmo_chris

Hey gp311 Have you received your replacement yet? If so, how is it working for you?

• gp311

I did receive a replacement Note 4 shortly after. The new device has worked fine up until today and is now having issues also. It's a vicious cycle. It is stuck in the boot up mode. It shows the "Samsung Note 4" screen then resets and continues to do so. Until I plug in the phone, then it will reset and boot up fine. Once I remove the charger it cuts off again and goes back into the boot loop. I have done all the same steps from before trying to wipe the partitions, and taking out the battery and trying another one I have, and it also does the same thing. Next step will be to reboot the phone to factory settings again to see if that works. But I am now led to believe through more research that this replacement phone may be defective too. Maybe the charging port chip is messed up. I dont know honsestly. I will be headed back to the tmobile store when I can now to see what I can do. Super frustrating. 

• tmo_chris

Oh my goodness! I'm sorry that your replacement is acting up too! I appreciate you doing all that troubleshooting again on this new phone. I do believe your assumption of the phone being defective is right. This is not something that happens often but you can rest assured that we will take care of you. The phone that you received will have the same warranty that your original had or an additional 90 days (whichever is longer). Let us know how it goes at the store