Using Talkback

pkahn

Hi,

My dad is blind.  We'd like to try using Talkback.  Does anyone have any experience with this feature?

Thanks

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Using Talkback

Hi pkahn! Welcome & thanks for reaching out. It's so nice of you to help your dad use this!  TalkBack is a great feature for accessibility needs.  What type of device is your dad using?  I'd be happy to help you locate the feature and enable it, and direct you to any more instruction you might need!

Thanks!

- Marissa

• pkahn

Hi,  I'll be giving dad my Samsung Galaxy S5 to use. I know how to turn on

and off TalkBack.  I understand that the commands are different between my

sighted finger movements and the blind finger movements.  I'd like to have

instructions to keep handy while I'm assisting him in learning this new

system.  Which of the motions and gestures should I turn on?  Should I keep

these options basic to start with or should I just turn everything on?

Thanks

Paula

• tidbits

That's up to you and him to decide. You should be able to check Google Groups to see everything possible with Talk Back.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • tmo_marissa

Hi Paula,

tidbits is right, these decisions will largely be a matter of preference, because what works for one user may not work for another, depending on individual abilities and comfort level.  Google's Talkback page is a fantastic and thorough reference.  On the right hand side of the page, you'll see resources listed by topic, including one called Explore By Touch that can help you learn how he'll use it, so you can be an expert instructor for him.  I get wanting to have a reference - if it were me, I might honestly print all of those documents, page by page, so that anyone who might want to help him has access.

Best wishes!

- Marissa

• pkahn

Hi,

Thanks for the input.  I did go to Google's TalkBack site and print

everything out.  Now to learn this option and teach it to dad.  If you run

across any other helpful information, please forward it to me.

Best,

Paula

• tmo_marissa

Hey Paula,

That's great to hear!  I'm so glad that worked for you.  I'll have this thread in my inbox, so if I do come across any other tools or resources I will absolutely keep you and your dad in mind.  I know it's a lot to tackle, but I'm confident you'll have it down in no time.  Thank you again for reaching out! 

- Marissa