corvairbob65@yahoo.com

when i call make or get the screen goes dark in a few seconds and will not turn on again. i then can't end the call so where can i go to change that setting? i did one reset already thinking that would fix it but no. thanks

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Hey there! That doesn't make it easy to use your phone. It sounds like you're referring to the proximity sensor setting. The screen should turn back on once the other user disconnects the call or you take the phone away from your face. You can disable the proximity sensor by going to Settings > System > Accessibility > Select Off. Keep in mind that this may cause your battery life to deplete faster unless you manually turn the screen off.

From reading other user experiences, you can also go to Settings > Display > Screen Proximity > Then move the slider almost all the way to the left. This changes the sensitivity of the proximity sensor.

Once you give these options a shot, let me know how they work out for you.

-Amanda

• corvairbob65@yahoo.com

the screen turns black and then fails to come back and she can't end the calls or anything. we did figure a way around this by touching the area by the light that tells you it is charging. the sensor must be in that area. we did turn off the proximity sensor for when it is clos to your face and it made it worse, so we put it back. i have the same phone and it does not do this so she has a issue going on with hers. thanks

• tmo_chris

I am glad to hear that you found a workaround for the meantime but you should not have to touch the sensor for it to work. Out of curiosity, do you have a screen protector or phone case on that phone that could possibly be covering the sensor area?

• corvairbob65@yahoo.com

i have a screen protector on it but why would it only do this if the phone is next to me? if i hold it a few inches away it turns off and then on again or if it turns off and i move my hand in front of the screen it turns back on? for the heck of it i will take that section of protector off and see if it make any difference?  thanks

• theartiszan

If the protector covers the proximity sensor it could be messing with it's readings.

• tmo_chris

The light sensor can be very sensitive at times. I know in the office where we have lots of florescent lights, the light sensor has a hard time functioning properly. Sometimes having a screen protector or an overhanging phone case can cause the sensor to think that it is near your ear when it really is not.

There are 2 possibilities that could be causing this:

1) There is a hardware problem either with the sensor itself or with the screen protector/case and the type of light setting you are in.

2) The software on the phone does not know how sensitive the light sensor should be when it is away from your ear.

The two fixes we can try are to take off the case and gently peel the protector back from the sensor (near the top of the phone) and test the sensor with nothing obstructing it. If it works okay that way, we will know that it was the screen protector. To rule out a software issue, since we already tried adjusting the sensitivity in the settings, we will want to restore the phone to factory settings which you can do by following these steps.

• corvairbob65@yahoo.com

thanks tmo i did a factory reset already. i will take the cover off the top and see if that help.  

To: bob palmer <corvairbob65@yahoo.com>

Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 11:10 AM

Subject:  - screen goes dark when talking and will not turn back on to end the call

T-Mobile Support Community

screen goes dark when talking and will not turn back on to end the call

created by tmo_chrisl in Kyocera Hydro LIFE (C6530) - View the full discussionThe light sensor can be very sensitive at times. I know in the office where we have lots of florescent lights, the light sensor has a hard time functioning properly. Sometimes having a screen protector or an overhanging phone case can cause the sensor to think that it is near your ear when it really is not.  There are 2 possibilities that could be causing this: 1) There is a hardware problem either with the sensor itself or with the screen protector/case and the type of light setting you are in.  2) The software on the phone does not know how sensitive the light sensor should be when it is away from your ear.  The two fixes we can try are to take off the case and gently peel the protector back from the sensor (near the top of the phone) and test the sensor with nothing obstructing it. If it works okay that way, we will know that it was the screen protector. To rule out a software issue, since we already tried adjusting the sensitivity in the settings, we will want to restore the phone to factory settings which you can do by following these steps.  Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on T-Mobile Support Start a new discussion in Kyocera Hydro LIFE (C6530) by email or at T-Mobile Support Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences.

|

• tmo_chris

Hey hey! Did taking off the case off the phone help out at all? Also, I have sent you a private message (which you can check here) so we can get your user name changed to something other than your email address.

• tmo_marissa

Hi, Bob!  Just wanted to check in and see if our previous suggestions resolved this issue with her phone!  It's so nice of you to be the acting tech support for your family.    Let us know if you still need help!

- Marissa

• corvairbob65@yahoo.com

can't say if it ever will. she turned it in for a new one. she said she was not getting calls properly so she got sick of it and turned it in for a new one. thanks for the help.  

From: tmo_marissa <no-reply@t-mobile.com>

Sent: Monday, October 3, 2016 12:50 PM

Subject:  - screen goes dark when talking and will not turn back on to end the call

created by tmo_marissa in Kyocera Hydro LIFE (C6530) - View the full discussionHi, Bob!  Just wanted to check in and see if our previous suggestions resolved this issue with her phone!  It's so nice of you to be the acting tech support for your family.    Let us know if you still need help! - Marissa Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on T-Mobile Support Start a new discussion in Kyocera Hydro LIFE (C6530) by email or at T-Mobile Support Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences.

|

• tmo_marissa

Well, darn.  I'm sorry that none of the troubleshooting was effective, but it sounds like the phone had more than one issue anyway, so a replacement was necessary!  Hope everything's stellar from here on out - let us know if we can help with anything else!

- Marissa

• corvairbob65@yahoo.com

ok thanks for the help.  bp.

From: tmo_marissa <no-reply@t-mobile.com>

Sent: Monday, October 3, 2016 2:40 PM

created by tmo_marissa in Kyocera Hydro LIFE (C6530) - View the full discussionWell, darn.  I'm sorry that none of the troubleshooting was effective, but it sounds like the phone had more than one issue anyway, so a replacement was necessary!  Hope everything's stellar from here on out - let us know if we can help with anything else! - Marissa Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on T-Mobile Support Start a new discussion in Kyocera Hydro LIFE (C6530) by email or at T-Mobile Support Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences.

|