So, I guess it's official, no more updates for the Galaxy S5...

sam9978

T-Mobile released a list of devices being upgraded to Android 7 and the S5 is not on there: Software updates. But then again there are no LG devices listed either so maybe the list just isn't complete yet?

If this is then end then I guess it was a fairly good run, from 4.4 to 6.0.1 or something like that. I was looking forward to some of the features in 7 and an "official" release, but what can you do.

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Just because something isn't on the list doesn't mean it's for sure dead in the water! It's not the best sign it's not on the page, but there's still a possibility it will be updated.

-Lauren

• smplyunprdctble

Two years is generally the support time frame manufacturers give.

Well, it's more like 18 months.  So, that's exciting it probably got a couple more months than that (April '14 through October '15 would be 18 months, and I think 6.0.1 was after October).

I don't know what Samsung's "monthly security patch" policy is.  Hopefully they'll continue a bit longer.

I probably wouldn't expect Nougat to appear on this device though.

The philosophy I've had was to keep a phone for the 18ish months it's supported.  After that, I start looking into what's coming up and what I might want.  I then root my phone and install a custom OS to play with things until what I'm waiting for will come out, with the understanding if I brick it, I'll be buying a new phone sooner, so hopefully there's something out that I'd like as well (or use my older backup phone until what I want comes out).  Rooting isn't supported by T-Mobile, and voids any warranty [you probably don't have], and you cannot use that device for trade-in / JUMP, and you'll get [little to] no support from the T-Mobile community if something isn't working -- so, because of that, I cannot officially suggest you doing it.  But, if you're savvy, like an adventure, enjoy random weird things, and don't care about possibly having a new paperweight, you might want to go look into it.  Especially as Nougat starts to come out.

Disclaimer:  T-Mobile doesn't support rooting.  I don't encourage the lighthearted to root.  You CAN brick your phone with it, although most devices have a way to restore back to factory.  Rooting can be detected in some devices even though it's been unrooted.  I'm not telling you to root your phone, I'm just providing an idea for you to research

• destroky

From what I've been reading, any phone with a Qualcomm snapdragon 800 or 801 (which includes the galaxy s5) won't be updated to nougat because Qualcomm isn't making drivers for them. It has something to do with not having the hardware for some of the newer stuff. Or they just want everyone to buy new phones.

• sam9978

Yes, I read that too. I'm guessing someone will start working on a custom ROM with custom drivers in the not too distant future. I guess we'll see.

Sad thing is that I spent $600 to buy this phone less than 2 years ago and now if I want security updates or the latest version of Android I have to shell out another $600+ (not to mention the fact that, over the last two years, Samsung refuses to fix the crappy releases of Android 5 and 6 that they've given us which have basically reduced the phone to junk). Just think if Microsoft released a new version of Windows every 2 years that would absolutely not work on any computers older than 2 years, everyone would be outraged and Microsoft would be a huge villain, but for some reason that doesn't seem to apply to Google and the phone manufacturers -- and desktops can be bought for even cheaper than mobile phones these days.

I get that it's just the way it is but it still never ceases to amaze me...

• smplyunprdctble

sam9978 wrote:

Just think if Microsoft released a new version of Windows every 2 years that would absolutely not work on any computers older than 2 years, everyone would be outraged and Microsoft would be a huge villain

Yeah -- they do it every three years

The major difference is there's no universal drivers going on with Android.  Think about the old days of Windows -- where you needed to have a driver to get something to work (like when I bought my first CD burner with Windows 98).  I went to update to Windows 2000, and there were no drivers and Sony flat out told me "Yeah, we're not going to support Windows 2000"

Even with today's world of Windows, there's still a ton that doesn't work without manufacturer's drivers.  We have webcams at work that we Skype with and they don't work without the Logitech drivers.

So, it's not so much Android saying you can't update to Nougat, it's Samsung saying "Nope, we're not going to support Nougat for you."

• sam9978

smplyunprdctble wrote:

Yeah -- they do it every three years

Guess it's up to personal experience. I have a laptop I bought in 2008, designed for XP and when Windows 7 came out I put it on and it was just as good as XP now with Windows 10 it runs even better and, except for the audio, there was no need for 3rd party drivers. I also have an old 1.2GHz Core2 Duo with a very low end Nvidia video card and it's happily running Windows 10 as well, just about as good as it used to run XP. I work as a server and desktop admin and I've seen this time and time again with Windows. I know they have had their fair share of duds but they also have managed to put out some very good OS' which were usable one very low end hardware. The support lifespan of Windows also puts Android to shame. For example by the time Windows 7 is EOL in 2020 it will have been supported for 11 years, Windows XP was 13 years and Windows 8 will be around 13 as well.

I know some won't agree with me but I still think 2 years is way to short especially for a feature phone -- I can understand a $100 or $200 phone but a $400, $500 or $600+ phone? No way, it should be supported much longer even if just because of the fact that they are security risks waiting to happen. At the very least Google, the phone manufactures and the service providers should be forced to supply security updates for a good number of years.

• b987

I sent a message to Qualcomm. 36 months of support (Software, Firmware and Hardware support) would be a more reasonable policy for a device that is in the same price range as a PC. These policies are for the most part set by manufacturers if I understand correctly. 18 months from RTM is pretty slim). I think I may consider an Apple device in the future, or very carefully scrutinize the hardware, memory, performance and manufacturer (especially the chipset manufacturer) in the future, No purpose in paying $600+ for a phone. I got a high end laptop on sale for $649.00. It will be supported for quite a few years.

Samsung, as well can be iffy on support.

On a positive note, thank you T-Mobile for updating the software update page (for the Galaxy S5) with a more detailed log and better release notes. This was a problem solved)!

• theartiszan

Yeah it is kinda short period of updated in trend towards computers. Little bit of a didn't beast though as the computer really won't always need new drivers when a new os is released. It is expensive for the manufacturers to keep updated code on so many different products like what goes into the phones. And end manufacturers like Qualcomm get less in profits for their development than the phone manufacturers. Even the nexus devices are looking at about 2 years typically. For Apple, older devices do seem to be updated but they have cut off of around 2 to 3 years as well. Sometimes I have even seen the older Apple devices get updates but seem to sometimes lack the new features that the update brings and makes the hardware slower. I noticed that with my iPod touch which follows the same upgrade paths their phones do. But all good things to consider when purchasing a new product and doing the research on it. Keeping in mind that the industry is really only expecting people to keep them for two years and by then must people would have upgrade. I think that is also part of the reason for the 18 month range. Very little point in developing updates for a phone that must of the original purchasing base is no longer using.

• soapbox55

Here is a really good analysis on why Snapdragon 800/801 devices like the S5 will never get Nougat.

In-Depth Capitulation of Why SD801 Devices Are Excluded from Nougat