ocmetalhead

I have the new Note 7 and I can say this, I absolutely hate this phone and am about ready to switch back to my note 3, this device is so half baked its not even funny.  I have a new problem with this device and I think its actually an issue with Android 6.0.1 and Samsung not tied to the Note 7 specifically if I read right on the internet.  I cannot get hyperlinks to open from a text message, they open up in sub browser (Custom Chrome Tab), and I cannot get any link load at all, I have to click on the 3 Dots and click open in browser to get anything to work.  I use this feature a lot and this is very annoying to not have it work.  I have reset all the defaults that I can find, did a factory reset, cleared the cache, disabled "Internet" so that only Chrome would work, set chrome as the default and all of this has resulted in nothing, I still cannot open text message hyperlinks.  Anyone find a work around?  I have had it with this phone and I am about to send it back!!!

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Note 7 Hyperlink in Text won't Open

Use another text app. The no open hyperlink in messages app is a Samsung limitation.

• ocmetalhead

If that is the only way I'm sending this POS back, this functionality works just fine in my Note 3.   I've had it with this phone this things not an upgrade but a significant down grade of basic functions that worked before don't work now.

• tidbits

That's the only way. The reason why the Note 3 could do it is because it doesn't have the newest version of Samsung sms app. It's been this way since the Note 5 and S6 line.

• tidbits

As far as it not loading in the chrome tab sub browser I have no idea why it doesnt work for you. It works for me .  Can you share a link that won't open?

• ocmetalhead

It can be any hyperlink that is sent via text message I have tried so many different sites, I get a bunch of texts with hyperlinks that I have to open every morning for work, and they worked fine on my Note3, started using the Note 7 last weekend and starting Monday none of them would work.  The browser would open and it would be blank, I would have to click on the 3 dots and select open in browser to view the link, or drag the window down and reopen the browser for it to show the content.  It too late now, I called and am sending this thing back, spending $850 for a POS that doesn't work without using 3rd party apps to use basic functions is uncalled for.  I have verified that it is also not carrier specific, my finance has the same phone on VZW and it does the exact same thing.  She doesn't care about this issue, to me this was a deal breaker and the last straw with this phone.  It's going back, and I am no longer buying anything from Samsung.

• tidbits

That does work. I am willing to put money down it's something installed that is causing the problem and not thw actual app itself.

As silly as it sounds. Anyway hope you find something you like in the near or later future.

• ocmetalhead

There is nothing installed, no apps, no themes, nothing, I did a factory reset and didn't download anything and it would not work.  Thought it was a glitch between it and chrome, so thats why I did the factory reset.

• tidbits

Did you use your Samsung or Google backup?  If yes then some things and meta data was installed.

• tidbits

Just for reference to show it does work which gives me reason to believe it's something to do with what you are installing or using a backup of some sort with corrupted data.

Screenshot_20160827-144008.png

Screenshot_20160827-144025.png

• ocmetalhead

I had logged in after the first Factory Reset, so I attempted it again before I posted this thread with out logging in to either account and it was still not working.  Like I said I can get it to work by dragging the screen down and back up for what ever reason that makes it work for that attempt and that attempt only.  Upon opening the same link again, or a new message it fails to open directly.

Thanks for your help, this phone has been nothing but issues since I turned it on last Saturday.  Perhaps I got a bad phone, I know I got a bad SIM card right out the gate, but all the issues I have had with this thing have soured my experience with this phone and I'm going back to my Note3 for now, maybe when Android 7 get released I will check out this phone again, but as of now I just need a phone that works and with out having to jump through hoops to make it do what it should do naturally.