weak signal

rhsortho

wondering if anyone else is experiencing weak signal strength with the Note7.  mine only pulls in a 1-2 bar (dBm's vary between 115-122). My note5 in the same room can pull in an almost full signal (upper 80s-low90 dBm).  I am also assuming this poor signal is the reason for my dismal battery life. I haven't even loaded apps yet so it's been pretty much stock for the past week.

I bought the phone outright online, and am also wondering if a return is possible/how to go about it?  it's a nice device, but as a "phone" it is disappointing:( my note 5 performs better than the note7.

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Re: weak signal

Oh man, that's disappointing. It's not something I've seen reported on elsewhere, so I'm sort of wondering the possibility that it may be a manufacturer defect.

Depending on where you purchased the device, you typically have 14-20 days for a return or direct exchange.

Please keep us updated if you end up on an exchange route, I do my best to try and keep notes like this on devices for users when they ask about purchasing!

-Lauren.

• rhsortho

Thank you for the reply Lauren! I too have not seen any similar issue on the various forums. i preorded it via the t-mobile website. the device is really nice but so far it's not living up to a "phone":(

As far as exchanging goes, do you know if Tmobile will exchange it or do i have to inquire with Samsung?? can i initiate an exchange process on tmo website? i have my Note 5 i can use in the meantime, but i will use the 7 for a few more days to see if there's any improvement.

thanks again!

• tmo_lauren

If you purchased it through us, you can return it to us! Since it was through the website, you'll just need to contact support, get the return info for your specific order, and then we'll get you through the return process and out a new phone! Exchanges aren't able to go through the site itself, but if you prefer not to call, we have representatives on FB and Twitter that can access your account (I can't since this is a public facing forum and not secure for days collection) and facilitate the exchange. 

This should help https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2624

• rhsortho

Thanks again for all the info Lauren! I will probably try and exchange it, as I really like the device!:)  I'm hoping it's just a fluke with the radio in mine as no one else seems to be having an issue.  even when out and about, it'll never grab a full signal, it'll just fluctuate between 1-3 bars. my note 5 in comparison pulls in a full signal (80dBm)

• notethis

I TOO ON BRAND NEW TMOBILE, BUT PORTED TO TMOBILE. HAD 4 BARS BEFORE TMOBILE.

• platinum439

I too have experienced the low signal. I used to get great signal on my LG

G 4. However, on my note, I'm getting 2-3 bars. Inside the airport, it

barely works. At my job not so well also. Used to get great signal on my

older phone.

• haidery110

Me and wife having the same issue of getting low signals of LTE on our Note 7. The places where I got strong LTE signals with my Note 5 before, getting one bar or 4G signals (very slow). This is annoying for both of us as we can't use the data when needed. I don't know if this is a hardware or a software issue but needs to resolve soon. 

• tmo_lauren

The plot thickens now that others have chimed in!

Hm.

Does anyone have side by side comparisons where one device is getting stronger signal than their Note in the same location at the same time?

-Lauren

• haidery110

Unfortunately, I have returned both of my devices as I did JUMP upgrade. The experience is based on everyday use in home, office and other common places. Me or my wife didn't have any issues with weak signals on both Note 5 and S6 Edge Plus. I don't want to return the devices and get the same issue with the new ones. T-Mobile/Samsung should perform testing and come up with a solution.

Muhammad Haider

• notethis

im getting 3 max//avg 1 bar in city.LOST ALL MOBILE DATA LAST NIGHT FOR 13 HRS PERIOD. IM NEW CUSTOMER. ITS SICKENING

• rhsortho

it looks like there are others out there with a noticeable weaker signal like me:(  Wondering if you're devices were an early production batch? did you pre-order/order early?? I reached out to twitter and they referred me to telesales. I have not called them yet as I haven't decided wheter to exchange or return.  I too would hate to go thru the exchange only to receive a device that can't pull a usable signal. I like the device but I may just have to go back to my note5. if it's a hardware issue I would assume there would be lots more people experiencing this. and I'm running the note7 completed stock with no apps so surely the weak signal is killing the battery.

• pinman

I too have been having severe Signal issues with my TMobile Note 7.. I have owned Android phones with T-mobile since the G-1.. MyTouch3G... all the Notes before this one..etc.

And this phone will show 4 bars and when I try to do something it says not connected to a network... or It will have cellular, but not data connection.. or I will make a call and use data and be fine like tonight...set it down...and pick it up 30 min later wondering why I never heard back from my girlfriend...and it showed not bars with an "X" and no data... had to force reset it...and then had cellular but no data... had to have t-mobile customer care reset my phone from their end... Exchanging the phone tomorrow ( if the store has any in stock)... This phone is having severe issues with connection and data in places my Note 5 had none. 

• haidery110

Getting no data in the morning, can see LTE signal bars. Restarted the phone in order to get the data. @tmo_laurenThis is a serious problem.Screenshot_20160831-073930.jpg

• notethis

oh my goddddddddd finally SOME WHO HAS THE SAME NIGHTMARE. IM 4 DAYS IN NEW CUSTOMER, AND ITS INSANE FOR US BOTH. IT TELLS ME WHETHER im a post or prepaid, there IS a major problem.

mine does no internet and sometimes 4g icon jumps ship even with 3 or 4 bars. im sure you agree. sad part is i ordered a replacement sim.., im gonna be livid is same happens. they gotta stop blaming our phones and fix root issues.

• notethis

and to the nice moderators, where did edit button go. i swore it exists.

• tmo_lauren

Edit button is there! Just not in your inbox (which is where I assume you may be viewing from) and you have to be on the page itself.

I know notethis had a similar issue but was able to get it fixed. What was it you had to do? Was it a SIM swap?

-Lauren

• notethis

tomorrow ITS SIM OR SINK/IF CS ever ships overnight. its been a battle.

• haidery110

Let see if this is a SIM issue. Note 7 owners on other Carriers also having the same issue with weak signals. Looks like a bad investment to me. Samsung needs to fix this issue otherwise people will go for Iphone 7. The is my 5th Note device and I am satisfied with all of them except this (Note 7) one, at least for now.

• stevetjr

notethis your issue could be something different since you don't have a T-Mobile branded Note7 and there for it has a different radio in it since Verizon is one of the only carriers in the world that use CDMA so it has a unique radio even if it does support some of the same LTE bands as T-Mobile. 

It has been reported that the Note7 (at least the T-Mobile version) has a 4x4 MIMO antenna versus the 2x2 all the carrier networks support including T-Mobile. However T-Mobile has said that it will start launching 4X4 MIMO sometime late 2016 so hypothesis number one is since it has been disabled since it hasn't been FCC approved yet that something in the software logic got over looked in its signal progression priority similar to how the current line up of devices will hunt for Band 2 or 4 first and when or if their signal drops to low will then look for Band 12.  Because of this Band 12 will generally only ever have 2 to 3 bars (unless you are in a Band 12 market only which I don't believe there are any yet) since anything above 2 to 3 bars of Band 12 usually means you will get a strong enough signal on the primary bands which are significantly wider channels.

Also understand the bars displayed are and can be just software representative projections and from device to device and theoretically even from band to band could be different and actually looking at the actual signal readings is a much more accurate way.  For those with Samsung phones you can go to the dialer and dial *#0011# and it will take you to the service mode menu which will show you what band your phone is on, signal strength and other information on the tower and radio.

As mentioned by @tmo_lauren mentioned if anyone with a Note7 but also has a family member, friend or etc that has T-Mobile and a Samsung phone (other than a Note7) and then both go into the service mode then see what is different will probably enlighten as to what is most likely the cause.

• rhsortho

this has been one of the worst experieces just trying to exchange a phone!!!  called customer care, was fine, he transferred me over to tech support, was fine. however he could not locate my order in the system (even though I have the order number.  so he transferred me over the telesales....clearly outsourced help!! -  and obviously reading a script, but htats understandable I guess..."the warrantry is expired but I will do everything in my power...." .  So, one of my options was to go back to "place of sale"..ummm, I ordered online..OR, "go to a Samsung store"...REALLY?!?! 

was in the process of doing an order and put on hold...call dropped. rep left me a voicemail he'll call me back.... doubt it. 

• rhsortho

update: got a new one ordered and will see if it is better. I certainly hope so. I reached out to T-Force on twitter and they were a BIG help in getting the exchange going. now just hoping the new phone will peform well.

• pinman

I have called customer care and tech support literally 20 times since I've had this phone... I am having the same issue with showing I have signal then telling me I am OFFLINE?!?!... Or will have 3-5bars of cellular signal, and be like 30min-2hrs of no data... I have hard rebooted this phone more times than I did with my Note 5 in the almost year I had that. I was told since I was in the buyers remorse period (14 days) I could go to any T-Mobile store and exchange it for a new one.... problem being I called the 27 closest stores to my house and went by 5 stores and they are all out of stock. I called Customer care again, got transferred to a supervisor and they said there is nothing they can do because I am still within the Buyers Remorse period, so they can not send me another one under warranty ... and all the local distribution chains do not have them in stock. They too told me to back up my phone and take it to a BestBuy store to the Samsung rep there and have them Flash the ROM on it... then work with the phone for a few days with no apps installed at all...and day by day install and app and make sure it doesn't happen anymore. UMMM... that is not an option and not what I want to hear when I just purchased a premium device and within the return period.

I don't have Twitter ...how did you get it resolved that way?... How did they find one in stock somewhere?

Is there any other way?

• rhsortho

I reached out to them on twitter via direct messages. they replied and I explained the headache I was experiencing just trying to exchange my device. customer care and tech support were ok, but they couldn't locate my order so they tramsfrerred me to telesales. got no where with them.  once the folks on twitter took over, they were able to order me a new phone which he said would should ship today for delivery tomorrow.  they will charge for the phone but will refund once they receive the defective device. hopefully it all goes smoothly. from now on T-Force on twitter will be the first folks I reach out to for help!

• notethis

i feel like the center of attention/id rather not be

• notethis

no more comments from me. i dont feel comfortable having every reply moderated. im done.if theres an issue/// moderator pm me.

• stevetjr

you are not being moderated in particular, each of my post is also.  The system to protect from spammers if a thread gets to many comments in a short time period or if you post something that has a link in it the system automatically holds (moderates the post) until a "human" (one of the tmo_'s) can review it.  There is nothing personal about it trust me, even as a "Pillar of the Community" I get moderated all the time.

• platinum439

I finally called Tmobile again and explained that the phone was doing from

4G to no connection. I have to restart the phone just to get data

connection. Tmobile finally is replacing my phone. The issue started to

occur the day I received my phone. Thus, a third party App was not the

issue. Maybe the Galaxy Note 7 does not play nice with the Tmobile network.

• haidery110

I am not sure if the replacement phone works. To me, it's more like a firmware issue. I don't want to replace my device before confirming that the device itself a problem not the firmware. Please post your experience once you get the new Note 7.

I am not getting LTE connection where I was getting with my Note 5 especially in the gym where I stream music. 4G connection does nothing and only works for voice calls.

• notethis

WHY ARE WE ALL HAVING SAME ISSUES EVEN AS I HAVE THE VERIZON NOTE 7 ON TMOBILE SIM.IT TELLS ME ITS NOTTTTTTTTTTT DEVICE

• theartiszan

Well from reading this I would say it is probably something with the radio in this model phone that isn't working well with their network. A different phone in the same area works perfectly fine indicates that it isn't a network issue. I am betting that the note 7 just isn't playing well with the network. I would suspect a radio firmware problem.

• notethis

only way to find out is with next update like nougat android 7.i will notify samsung is they even care

• haidery110

I am wondering if the new/replaced Note 7 could perform better in terms of signal strength. I didn't see anyone got the replaced device and have no weak signal issues. I am seriously considering to return at least my wife's Note 7 and get new Iphone 7 Plus. If I get the confirmation that the signal issue is resolved then I can stay with Note 7, otherwise move to Iphone 7 plus. Any advice??

• rhsortho

I've had mine replaced (though not with the updated battery/fix), and it too had a weak signal. so it's clearly a hardware issue on the initial batch.  I'm returning my 2nd one for a refund under the recall.  not sure if I will order the "new" note7.

• haidery110

Did you or anyone talk to Samsung if they are aware of this issue?

• rhsortho

I haven't contacted Samsung. only spoke with tmobile.  they in turn shipped me the new one, but same result. I'm assuing the weak signal is the cause of the dismal battery life. my note5 in the same room will pull in almost a full signal.

• haidery110

My Note 5 performed well in the areas where Note 7 has been dropping signals. Last week, I drove to Buffalo from Maryland and had a terrible experience with signals. Sometimes my wife's Note 7 getting T-Mobile LTE signals and I am getting none, restarted but no luck and sometimes my wife had this problem. Finally, I manually scan the network and select T-Mobile from the list, then it worked.

• stevetjr

If you look at the history of weak signal issues on this site, the iPhones

are the most common. Granted not a Note 7 but S7e and can be standing right

next to a friend with a 6s and I am always stronger signal.

The S7, S7e and Note 7 have that new 4x4 antenna to support the 4x4 MIMO

and upcoming 256QAm tech. The Note 7 has it already and the S7 (e) need a

radio update but have the hardware. That update is supposed to come out end

of month so suspect the firmware for this new tech needs some tweaking.

• mattbuford

Here's a video I took of what my Note 7 does.  I even did a factory reset and didn't install any apps at all, and it still does this.  For me, the signal bounces all over the place.  Up/down/up/down ...

Copy of Note 7 radio bouncing - YouTube

While this video was recorded, my Note 7 was sitting right beside my S5, which has the disadvantage of no band 12 support, yet the S5 managed to hold a stable LTE connection the entire time.

Also, the CPU is always very busy with a process called "imsd".  The phone is very hot at all times, even when sitting idle on the desk with the screen off.  If I reboot, it will be cool for an hour or two, then it goes right back to being hot all the time.

• notethis

the good news is that you're on a tmobile device, and they new faster and maybe stronger update to tmobiles network will benefit you. me in my case, my free phone thats 3 yrs old non smartphone gets steady 5 bars forever, and i get 3 bars briefly then drops to two.i will find out by friday if i have to purchase a tmobile note 7, or samsung exchanges, because old carrier didn't take it back or exchange because im no longer with them.its been a battle. so i get 112 to 115 for signal on a non tmobile device. you will benefit if you do recall and increased network written somewhere.

• haidery110

T-Mobile/Samsung must investigate this issue and let us know if this can be fixed by software update. I don't know if the new(exchanged) device will perform better. I am very confused either continue with Note 7 or ??

• notethis

call cs tech to find out if so. and a newer device always works greater,and not sure if its the nougat update or maintenance update. its best safety first not to toast the note 7. since i dont have insurance anymore because samsung cancelled it without my knowledge and as a way for me not to keep defective battery in it.i would just love to have a tmobile note 7 myself because idiots old carrier, too out 4 settings in device and messed up UI in the way menus look like. your bands comply with radio on tmobile, mines missing one, or channel. its non tmobile note 7.

• rhsortho

it took me over 1 1/2 hours to return the Note7 at the store. they weren't sure how to process the transaction as it was purchased via telesales and bought outright. I would think that would be the easiest transaction just do do a credit back. took the rep many attempts to get the process done. but at least they were aware of the recall. I guess. happily back on my note5 and an almost always full signal:)  the rep said replacements may start showing up in a week or two but think i'll pass for now.

• haidery110

Yesterday got a loner Galaxy S7 Edge from T-Mobile and today my wife tested the phone. The signal strength is fine where she was not even getting the LTE signals. Voice and Data both worked flawlessly. I hope Samsung/T-Mobile will fix the signal issues in the the new Note 7. I still have my Note 7 and I will wait till the relaunch.

• haidery110

Please share your experience once you get the replacement Note 7 especially weak signal issues..