ETF a sham?!

restricted24

I switched over from AT&T in February 2016 after a T-Mobile sales person said all the ETF's were going to be covered. I bought a new phone and submitted my information rebate as I was told to. Not thinking anything of it.... I never received any information about it so I naturally assumed everything was taken care of.

Come 6 months later!... I opened my mail today to find a debt collector had sent me a bill courtesy of AT&T for $803.00. Um what? I thought T-Mobile had taken care of this as we had discussed in the store and now a debt collector was sending me mail saying it was unpaid?! I called T-Mobile to follow up and they lady I spoke with said my rebate was declined. She then asked me why I didn't follow up after I was declined. I'm not even sure what to say to this as I have had ZERO contact with anyone about this. NO text, NO email, NO piece of paper had come to me in snail mail form to notify me that my rebate was DENIED?! I would not have even switched carriers had I known it wasn't going to be taken care of, let alone poorly effect my credit.

Anyone know how I should take care of this? I was mislead into moving carriers only to be denied a ETF then no one ever followed up with me. Now I have this huge bill sitting in with a debt collector. I'm furious and I refuse to pay this bill. Bait and switched?

All replies

• oriems

Re: ETF a sham?!

That's ridiculous - I've never heard of anything like that before.  I hate working with debt collectors and feel your pain... I hope T-Mobile has some type of response and they should take care of everything... Sorry to hear that

• e2k

The salesperson misrepresented the Carrier Freedom program.

To clarify, T-Mobile does not pay your ETF or EIP directly. You must be prepared to pay your previous carrier's final bill out of pocket. The amount of reimbursement that you receive from T-Mobile depends on whether you have an ETF or EIP, the type of device you buy from T-Mobile, and the trade-in value of your previous device.

I suggest reading through the details of the Carrier Freedom program, and calculating how much you should get vs. what you received. If there is a discrepancy, contact T-Force.

To contact T-Force

Go to the Contact Us page and use the Facebook, Twitter or Google Plus link under in the “Social Support” section.

• tmo_mike_c

Ouch! This should have gone much better for you.

I agree with e2k's suggestion of contacting T-Force. They're a great group of account experts and will do everything they can to help you out with this.