Best way to mirror to a tv

mmoverton03

So recently got a tv and bought Screenbeam. It works well for my LG G5 but when I connect it to my Tab S it works for about 20 mins then freezes on the tablet and the tablet reboots. The only Internet I have at home is via my phone and tablet. What is the best screen mirroring device that would work with my tab S? I've checked for updates for the tablet and configured the device. 

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Best way to mirror to a tv

I'd say that the best way to show a phone's screen on a TV is to buy a phone that supports a video output cable. I understand that current iPhones do this via an adapter and some phones have had micro-HDMI jacks on the side of the phone.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • I have honestly found the best luck using a Chromecast.  I can send video to my TV from my Chrome desktop browser and my LG G4 and can also mirror the screen to the TV from my phone no issues.  Most all apps have a "cast" button and most Android phones (newer, mid-upper level) have an option to cast or mirror from the share and connect settings screen.

• smplyunprdctble

I second the casting idea.

In my world, I have Rokus that have apps with an acceptable interface to watch things as long as it's in the "suggested" section.  Searching [especially Youtube] is a PITA.

So, I cast from Youtube on my phone to the TV.  It's pretty sweet.  Even do it with music (Subsonic's smartphone app is billions of times better than the Roku app).

Although, rereading your post, it sounds to me that you probably don't have WiFi set up at home since you're saying the only internet is on your phone and tablet [I'm assuming data plans].  At that point, you need something that supports the HDMI option that drnewcomb2 talks about.

I'm wondering if you can do tethering and casting together.  Set your phone (or tablet) up as a mobile hotspot and have your TV connect to it and cast that way.  If this is something you really want to know, I can try it when I get home tonight [if asked], or if one of the other folks in the forum knows, I'm sure they'd answer.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • mmoverton03

Correct I only have a data plan via tmoblie and no home internet. If I tether would that take up more data than mirroring?

• drnewcomb2

Probably not. You'd just be accomplishing the same thing by different means.

• bradgrant

Casting uses WiFi direct technology and neither uses a WiFi network nor stops your LTE from working. Casting should generate a closed circuit using low power WiFi like how bluetooth works. It has nothing to do with tethering and it also has nothing to do with a display out or anything like that. A perfect example of a perfect WiFi direct casting device is a microsoft wireless display adapter. It uses WiFi direct standards. So, you only need a HDMI port that supports the relevant HDMI handshakes. If it does not then it will simply not cast. You must click cast to make it cast. You cannot go through the WiFi direct in your WiFi usually for whatever reason because it will handshake backwards. Casting is intended to be super simple and only mirror. If something doesn't work it usually means:

!) You are doing it wrong. Read instructions.

2) The port on the back of your TV might not be able to correctly configure the signal and handshake. DRM can cause handshaking issues.

3) Everything is correct but you have your TV sourced wrong.

Those are usually the major problems.

• smplyunprdctble

Darn -- casting while being WiFi Hotspot doesn't work.  I tested my phone being a hotspot and connected my Roku to it.  Cast wasn't an option. 

• drnewcomb2

Does Roku support screen mirroring?

• sportygrly

Hi.  Do you yhink you can help me?  I purchased the connecter to mirror my phone to my tv to watch T-Mobile Live app.  However, every time I try to watch something, I get an error message, basically telling me I am not allowed to watch on the screen.  If I'm paying for the service, why would it matter if I want to watch on my tv?  Thank you. (* I am using my phone hotspot.)

• bradgrant

You are wrong. You don't  need a hotspot to vast. You do not need a WiFi network. You only need WiFi ditect.

• nelfar212

Screen mirroring isn't casting. Casting is streaming content independent of the device while acting as a controller, Mirroring can be done two ways "wirelessly" and "wired"...using the wireless method mirroring can be done via "Wi-Fi" or Wifi direct "Wi-Fi direct" is merely a "mobile Access Point protocol" that provides point to point commutation between two supported devices this is optimal in cases when the no internet is available/cell signal or using a "non binge on" provider being that most of us have limited mobile hotspot plans and unlimited data to our phones. The only reason the Gen 1 Chomecast doesn't support Wi-Fi direct, Google requires it's to have an active connect to the internet. The only reason for mirroring in my view is streaming from "Torrent sites". which is not legal. every major streaming service is on the binge on list. so mobile hotspot usage isn't an issue.

.I do understand how this works. as I said, my Samsung products have this feature built in, I don't use those features any longer, nor do I use my chomecast .My XBOX ONE is DNLA "complaint" so nothing else is needed. If you prefer to use Screen mirroring, great, it works .I Prefer UPnP/DNLA vs. Screen mirroring,because it doesn't tie up my device.  

The "wired" usb to hdmi methods drawback, depending on the cable you may not be able to charge the device while mirroring. It all boils down to personal preference.         

• bradgrant

Okay first of all MIrroring and Casting are virtually exactly the same in most instances because we have no specific definition of what each other them are doing. Casting is can literally be mirroring.

• bradgrant

There are several things I would like to clear up with your all knowing attitude. First of all screen casting can be screen mirroring. We are not talking about a Chromecast. We are not talking about a Firestick. The OP mentioned they were using a screenbeam. Okay, screen beams only cast a mirror image. They do absolutely nothing illegal and I have no idea why you even brought up something that might be illegal because that is complete nonsense. There are billions of usages for screen mirroring/casting. Sometimes people only have just their phone. Some people want to use DeX the desktop that Samsung has now. Sometimes people just want to use their phone as their main computer CPU and do all of their word processing, watch all their videos and interact. There is nothing illegal about using a casting device and is in fact encouraged for simplified usages. WiFi direct does create a connection like a Bluetooth pairing but at a much more stable higher rate of transfer with direct sight of each other. Some people like me have absolutely no cords and is effectively 100% cord cut. Sometimes people just want to watch their movie on a big screen TV. There is nothing illegal about that. It has nothing to do with torrent sites. There are billions of usages. Saying it is somehow not useful is complete and utter poop. I am not trying to be mean at all. But come on man. You might have home WiFi through your phone or cable company but not everyone can even get internet out to their place with a physical fiber line because they are out in BFE. Casting literally casts whatever is on your phone. You are over thinking things with your Chromecast and whatever. We are talking about only sending a mirror image cast. There is nothing illegal. There is no reason why people shouldn't do it. You have a phone. It runs all the android apps perfect. Great! Watch your shows. Casting should be encouraged and saying anything about it being used illegally is silly and nonsense. All the Microsoft WIreless Display Adapter and Screenbeam do is cast a mirror image. It does not use a WiFi home network. It runs off your LTE. It does not tether!

• nelfar212

Thanks, But I don't need you to clear up anything with me. You obviously didn't read my post. this kind of reminds me of the whole IOS, android debate. look I could careless what folks go with, their pocket book,and they can chose whatever works best for them. One of the posters inquired about Hotspot/tethering working with streaming devices, and if it incurred data usage. The answer is Yes, it will work, but it's dependent of the device whether it will work  with or without an app. So I gave a suggestion as to a lower cost($5) option for an app that works 100% of the time Bubble UPnP. The is nothing wrong with mircast, I just don't prefer it. same was I don't prefer IOS. and I don't have to have a reason why, I just don't. The MSDA is around $50, I'm sure it can be found cheaper. Once again, I have a chromecast, I don't use it, I have a Firestick, it's collecting dust as well.

Let me clarify Mircasting isn't illegal you are correct mircasting has other uses. I said "many use mirroring to cast "content" from torrent sites, or apps like "showbox"  which is illegal(the content)and a reason for doing so, because many have unlimited smartphone data plans, and mircast works around the tether/hotspot limitations. The official answer from TMO for those who chose to tether like myself, as long as your streaming from a binge on provider, the binge-on should work the same as on the phone. providing TMO's network can detect the stream.  I stream/tether from You Tube and Netflix daily with no issues.  

Both methods have limitations depending on what content you are trying to view. So the purpose was to help others who like myself figured out Mircast doesn't work in all situations. Back when I used Mircasting to cast higher quality content "1080P" uncompressed,it posed a challenge sometimes even for my NOTE 3, "which at the time", was one of the fastest phones out with all the bells and whistles Also tethering to a steaming device ie Chromecast,roku etc does have issues as well.especially if trying to use one device to tether and control it. they tend to forget theHotspot wi-fi password if not used for extended periods of time. Which requires running the setup process again.  .    

• bradgrant

The One Plan has no Binge-On feature at all. Binge-On is only a feature on some Simple Choice Plans.

• nelfar212

You are correct TMO ONE standard subscribers hotspots/tether feature is limited  due to the 3g speed restriction. As you pointed out, Mircasting is an optimal workaround for those situations. .

• bradgrant

melfar just to clarify. We are talking about only mirror casting our devices to a larger screen. Not using Chromecast not AppleTV nor anything like that. We are not talking about hotspots, tethering. Tmobile One standard is 480p on device which means it would cast at that. If you want full HD you would need to upgrade to Plus or Promo Plus. But for casting you do not need to hotspot or tether at all. The original poster was talking about their casting not functioning properly. I was curious if the person had a line of sight. You are almost on topic but still a little off.

• nelfar212

I know what mirror casting it's not my preferred, I was merely offering a suggestion to an alternate method of casting in my opinion is more stable and cheaper. I'm aware of  the 480p streams , which is why I don't stream, I download HD/4k content and cast.     

• bradgrant

Use Microsoft WIreless Display Adapter for best usage. If you have a Windows machine with Wi-Fi direct than you will be able to set it up and everything with no problem usually. It has almost no lag and works perfect. It does nothing but cast.

• barcodeable

After reading these post i was seriously thinking of buying a chromecast device to stream youtube, netflix, etc.,. Until I noticed that my DVD/BLUERay disc player already have it intergrated into it and it works perfectly. Some Smart TV's and DVD players have this very feature. No need for me to buy chromecast now .

• nelfar212

My NOTE 3 can mirror via Chromecast which I rarely use these days. If you want to setup casting from main device to chromecast, you'll need a second device. Phone, tablet, or laptop. 1st turn on mobile hotspot on main device, connect second device to mobile hotspot,the run chromecast set up , make sue the chromecast app is also installed on the 1st device as well. once the chromecast is configured with your mobile hotspot, the 2nd device is no longer needed.

I have a app installed called "Bubble UPnP" paid version. it's under $5, you can cast almost any content you have with this app to any DNLA device on the network. Chromecast, Roko, PS4, PS3,Firestcks,Smart T.V.s Xbox one/360 and the list goes on.  Using this method will "NOT" incur" network data usage if you are casting content you own, that stored on the device or binge on partners, with the exception of HULU.

Bubble UPnP is my GOTO when I want to stream something quickly, otherwise, I use PLEX 99.999% of the time now. Many modern TV's support casting and screen mirroring.  Haven't played with Screen mirroring as much theses days because of Plex.

Plex does require a laptop or a NAS run and preform the server functions, I brought a dedicated laptop(server) built in SSD and two 2TB HDD's to store content on. The SSD allows me to leave on 24-7-365 days.            

• nelfar212

To confirm, a while back I thought having an issue with Plex using data to stream content to my XBOX one,

the mobile hotspot service does indeed function like a typical network by preforming both WIFI and Internet gateway.

WIFI 802. B/G/N and AC router "access point" creates what we call WLAN(wireless area network) this allows all devices to commutate with each other "locally" Point to Point. since local traffic is handled by the access point(AP). sending data from point A to C thru B that traffic is NOT internet usage as does not incur data usage   

example (Phone) >>>>>>(hotspot wifi)>>>>>>>(laptop), the data goes from point A(phone) to point B(mobile hotspot) then on point C (laptop).

changing it up by adding a request for data via the internet in the case of streaming;

(phone Netflix)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(chromecast.etc)

(hotspot wifi) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<(handshake)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<(chromecast.etc) .

(hotspot wifi)>>>>>(request goes to tower)>>>>>>>>(tmo servers)>>>>>>>(back down to hotspot wifi) >>>>>>>>>(chromecast.etc) 

the portion in bold is the monitored(metered) internet data usage. being that TMO's sniffer protocols can detect packets being utilized by binge on providers, that usage should not count against monthly data allotments.      

I'm posting this to help those get a basic understanding of networking, so they can configure their home networks to work using the least amount of data.as I have and enjoy "cutting the cord".

Hope I didn't confuse anyone.

• bradgrant

You honestly don't need to do much of any of that. You can literally just cast using a casting device like a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. And you don't need anything else but a Cast button and just put in the code.

• nelfar212

I agree to a point, Screen mirroring vs. Casting work in similar and different ways which allows uses to decide the best option for them. There are Pros and cons to both methods.

Screen mirroring with devices like "MSDA" cons,

1. user cannot use the phone unless they want to interrupt the video being watched.

2 display rates issues.

Pros,

1. Easy set up

2. No internet required

UPnP(DNLA) "casting" cons

1. Internet may or may not be required

2. somewhat longer set up if using phone as a hotspot(device dependent) 

3. data usage when using non-binge on provider.

pros.

1. phone can still be used while casting

2.  no video issues

3  content can be streamed from any "source", to any rendering screen on the WLAN 

4. Content can be streamed from home to mobile devices while on the go.

I've said it before options like Kodi, and Plex have made above methods kind of obsolete also having a modern streaming box,(roku,chromecast,dnla/Upnp Blu-ray player, fire stick etc) or smart T.V. makes both casting, and screen mirroring very easy without workarounds. 

• bradgrant

Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter uses no hotspot or Wifi. It doesn't use WLAN. It uses LTE and wifi direct. Totally different from e.g. a firestick. You can also use a different device to take your calls by using DIGITS. We shouldn't  talk about Plex either. Screen mirroring/casting is exactly the same. If you want to watch it outside the house, something streaming from your house to your phone, that's  totally going to be way different and needs a server. Even if the server is just a code line. I think we are talking about low powered wifi direct casting. BingeOn is irrelevant if you are just using mirroring/casting locally over wifi direct. The One Plan works seamless. Microsoft WiDi works with Wifi Direct and only does that one thing. Also it is too bad you need to stop playback unless you use digits as I said but that is a sacrifice one makes.

• bradgrant

To kind of put this all together. There is no reason you need a hotspot or wifi connection. You only need WiFi direct, Casting and a capable Casting device like Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter especially V. 2. Other than that you can cast using LTE. It does not generate any new data. It isn't breaking the law or trying to get around anything. All it does is mirror. You do not need to create a wifi network. You do not need any of that fluff.