auroran

The regular Device Unlock app is not compatible with this model.  Customer Service is utterly clueless--they simply sent me a hyperlink to a page that says, "Use the Device Unlock app."

I have indeed paid off my EIP, and my account does not have a balance due.  How do I unlock this device in order to use it with another carrier if I wish?

All replies

• e2k

Re: How to unlock SIM card

If customer service is not helpful, give T-Force a try. You'll probably have better luck. Just make sure you meet the unlock requirements first. Otherwise, T-Force will not be able to help you.

To contact T-Force

Go to the Contact Us page and use the Facebook, Twitter or Google Plus link under in the “Social Support” section.

• auroran

I do not use Facebook, Twitter, or Google Plus; but it makes no difference, because others who have tried that have not gotten an answer either.

The root problem is that customer representatives of all kinds can only look up the internal documentation.  In this case, that documentation is flat-out wrong.  Somehow we need to break through to technical support, I guess--but we have to convince them that this is a technical problem, not a customer service issue.

The irony is that this is one of the few issues in which T-Mobile is under legal constraints from the FCC.  Other people with this issue are almost ready to file FCC complaints.  T-Mobile eventually has to respond satisfactorily to those, but such a procedure costs all of us time and money.

• e2k

It really depends on which rep you speak with. I've had multiple devices unlocked by customer service without a problem.

auroran wrote:

The root problem is that customer representatives of all kinds can only look up the internal documentation.  In this case, that documentation is flat-out wrong.

How is the documentation wrong?

auroran wrote:

I do not use Facebook, Twitter, or Google Plus; but it makes no difference, because others who have tried that have not gotten an answer either.

By referring to "others," you obviously are not referring to all that have done so. Thus, you have no way of accurately predicting the outcome. If you don't want to use any of the aforementioned social media, that's up to you. I'm just trying to help.

• auroran

Have you unlocked this specific model (the LG G Pad X 8.3)?  The issue we are running into, is that T-Mobile's own internal documentation is telling customer reps that the Device Unlock app should work on this device.  It does not.

I posted this question in the LG G Pad X 8.3 sub-forum because the problem is apparently specific to this model.

If you have unlocked this specific model, please tell me exactly how you did so.

• e2k

auroran wrote:

Have you unlocked this specific model (the LG G Pad X 8.3)? 

No, I have not.

auroran wrote:

The issue we are running into, is that T-Mobile's own internal documentation is telling customer reps that the Device Unlock app should work on this device.

This is why I suggested T-Force. They are what you might describe as "customer service supervisors." They are also one of the few remaining resources you have at T-Mobile to help you with this issue. As you said, you can take it to the FCC or whoever, but that would take a lot of time and effort. Why not try it the easy way first?

• tmo_mike_c

Hey auroran and thanks for posting.

I just want to say, you've made a really good point, and I hear ya. When you contact us, we should've given you steps for unlocking your device instead of the Device Unlock app. That app only applies to certain devices, but not all of them require this to unlock the device. We want you to feel like you can contact any department and get relevant information that you need. That's completely reasonable, and we appreciate you giving us this feedback.

With that being said, I'll bring this to the attention of our internal team. We'll make sure we have the right information in the docs that our Care teams use. As e2k mentioned, our T-Force team is an excellent group that can get the ball rolling on requesting an unlock for you device. I highly suggest registering with FB or Twitter and letting T-Force help with your unlock.

• auroran

Thank you for responding.  Here is what eventually happened:

One forum suggested that I send email to john.legere@t-mobile.com .  (Is that perhaps your CEO?)  Within 24 hours, I got a call back.  Initially, the woman (named Mercedes) said that she could unlock the tablet over the air.  However, she called back again within half an hour to admit that indeed, I needed to enter unlock codes manually.  She sent them to me by email, and waited on the phone while I successfully applied them.  Thus, my tablets are now unlocked.

As you say, the real solution is to update your internal and external documentation to reflect the reality of the situation.

Thank you again for your attention, and thanks again to Mercedes for resolving my issue.