Full bars, no service

mlagran

My phone has full bars, but when I try to call it gives me the error message " Not registered on network," and when I try to text it gives the error message "Unable to send this message. Your device is not connected to a mobile network. Connect to a Wi-Fi network and try again." Restarting my phone does not fix this issue.(Wi-Fi calling is set to Wi-Fi Preferred, but changing it to Cellular Network Preferred doesn't help) Both texting and calling work when I am connected to wifi or have 2g/4g. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy on5, with Marshmallow. Does anyone have ideas on how to fix this or ran across a similar issue?

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Full bars, no service

Sometimes when a phone has no T-Mobile signal, it will show the signal strength of whatever GSM signal is seen, even though not connected. Are you in an area with a known-good T-Mobile signal?

• mlagran

Not particularly, so that's probably it. When I search for networks, it just shows AT&T. The weird thing is that sometimes I can call but the error pops up for texting, I would have expected it to be the other way around.

• drnewcomb2

If you do a manual search and it only shows AT&T, that means that the bars that are shown are for AT&T. If you're not in an area where AT&T roaming is allowed, it will do you no good.  If you can sometimes make a call on that signal  all I can suggest is that you are either 1) actually calling on WiFi or 2) right on the edge of an AT&T LAC where roaming is allowed and were able to connect via a tower in the roamable LAC.

If you find yourself frequently in this situation and want to stay with T-Mobile, I could suggest doing what I do. I keep an old CDMA flip phone active on a PagePlus (Verizon coverage) PAYG plan for about $31/year. I forward my calls to this phone for when I'm out of T-Mobile's coverage + roaming + WiFi calling (CFC-No Service). In the two years I've had this phone I've made about 5 minutes of calls on it. So, it's mostly for insurance, if I break down somewhere in the boondocks.

• magenta2163563

I just got the S8 and am having this trouble too? Is there a work around or solution? It gets to be aggravating. I can download an app and use Facebook messenger just fine (no wifi available).