Galaxy S6

shima1970

Hello, I will be activating service with Tmobile in a couple weeks.  We are coming from Sprint and have a galaxy S6 and Note 5. The phones are unlocked, and I tested the s6 at a T-Mobile retail store.  The service worked, but it stayed on 3G, but was rather fast.  8 down and 2 to 3 mb up.  Does anyone know the proper APN settings I will need to add once we activate our SIM cards?  I do know that the Sprint s6 will work on bands 4 and 12, but not 2.  Also, for updates will they simply come OTA once we are on T-Mobile?   Thanks, Rob

All replies

• stevetjr

Re: Galaxy S6

Generic T-Mobile data settings   Here is a link for APN settings if they don't auto populate from the SIM card.

As for updates you will have to use Samsung Smart Switch for them.  Since the device is a Sprint Model 920P and not the 920T it won't get OTA updates on the T-Mobile network since it is only looking for "T" devices but when Sprint approves and update it should be available on Smart Switch.

Band 4 is T-Mobile's primary LTE band in most of the country with only some limited markets that use Band 2 for LTE because of lack of Band 4 spectrum in those particular markets. Band 12 is a secondary LTE band in some markets (primary in a few) but is their new spectrum they obtained from Verizon which is low band so penetrates objects better and carriers farther so it is good one to have.

As for 3G, T-Mobile really doesn't have a "3G" network per se, it is HSPA+42 which is 3.5G essentially but was marketed by T-Mobile and AT&T as 4G before LTE really became widespread. HSPA+42 (HSPDA+42) as mentioned 3.5G for all intensive purposes but on T-Mobile's network is backward compatible all the way back to standard 3G but if it supports the full HSPA+42 then it will go all the way up to that.  There are some devices (especially AT&T devices) that only supported HSPA+21 since that was the limit on AT&T's network. But in theory HSPA+42 is capable of 42Mbps (again in theory) but back in the it's heyday I used to get faster speeds on it than my friends were getting on Verizon's LTE network.

• shima1970

Thanks for the info.  If I run into any trouble with getting the LTE to show up post cut over, I will post again. I appreciate the fast response and willingness to help. 

• shima1970

Update, I picked up a GS7 t mobile variant phone and activated over the weekend. I'm impressed with the service so far. B12 at home all the time with great signal, and band 4 pretty much everywhere I go.

For the other 3 phones I will bring over by the end of the month they are sprint.  Do you know if wifi calling will not work since we have sprint variant phones?  If so we may look into selling them and buying t mobile phones. 

• stevetjr

My guess is not, in most cases while some of the Bands are the same Sprint phones can be unique (although not as bad as they used to be).  One way to find out for sure is make sure you get them unlocked if not already and put your T-Mobile SIM card in them and see if you get the same service (and Wi-Fi calling options in settings) and see if it all works and you will know for sure.

• shima1970

They are unlocked and I have the MSL codes for them. I read up about the T-Mobile APN settings, LTE bearer, band priority, and the settings for mms and the like.  I will give it a shot and post back. I guess if everything works without the wifi calling it would still be a win, but better to get T-Mobile phones in the near future.  Thanks, Rob