Screen keeps freezing and fading to black

otrangels

so this started only today, and frankly i'm already pretty upset about it. earlier, i was scrolling through a social media app when suddenly my screen started flickering and eventually faded to black. naturally, i thought it was some sort of glitch so i restarted my phone and everything seemed to be back to normal. about an hour later, the same thing happened, but this time the screen would not light up. i could feel vibrations from where i was pressing keys, but the screen was not functioning (it was responsive yet unresponsive, if that makes any sense). this has happened several more times since then and the only thing that will help for a while is taking the battery out and putting it back in. i don't know what it possibly could be or if t-mobile will replace it, as i still have not finished paying it off. can anyone help? thanks.

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Re: Screen keeps freezing and fading to black

Hey there!

Sounds like you are having some screen issues. Have you tried a reset on the device? Is there any physical damage or water damage? How old is your device?

-Lauren

• otrangels

I haven't tried a reset. There's no physical damage or any water damage that i'm aware of and my device is only a year and 4 months old

• claysellers2

otrangels I too have this issue, bought though phone about just a year ago. and 3 weeks ago this happened. I did a factory reset, and did not install any of my previous apps just the ones that come on the device and the issue did not go away. I've been on the phone with support 3 times and now T-Mobile is willing to replace it because I have the insurance, the phone is not physically damaged. I have a circle case and a screen protector phone is in excellent condition, but one problem, they will try and send you a Samsung GS5, , not happy I want the LG I like it and  what do I do with my case and extra screen protectors.  tmo_lauren can you explain why T-Mobile is offering Samsung GS5 as a replacement and not the LG G3 or even the G4. If I wanted a GS5 I would have got one when I bought my G3 it's not like it wasn’t available I did not want it. I like the LG.

• tmo_lauren

otrangels do you happen to have insurance or an extended warranty on your device?

claysellers2 That's got to be frustrating. Exchange stock has several factors, and if we have your actual device in stock we will always exchange it for the same device, however, unless the manufacturer decides upgraded stock will be given for warranties, you won't get the model up and instead will be offered a comparable device. Have you tried contacting LG directly to see if your device is eligible for repair and been able to see if there is an option to send your device directly to manufacturer?

-Lauren

• dujucell

Lauren the issue is build D85120d. It has several issues

Screen fading to black

Constant restarting

Not being able to turn on Wi-Fi

Freezing

Boot loops

Please ask T-mobile to fix this or provide a way to allow us to go back to Lollipop

• tmo_lauren

It's LG, not the manufacturer who releases the updates, dujucell

That said, we want to champion those changes, so we will reach out and see if there's any info!

-Lauren

• dujucell

Hi Lauren:

I just spoke to LG and they said they don't develop software. They only manufacturer devices based on a specification. They say that it is still Google that develops the software at the request of vendors (in this case carriers). It seems that both entities (carriers and LG) are giving conflicting information to customers. I don't know who is giving us the correct procedure. I can send you my transcript with them if you wish to see it.

Nevertheless, thanks for your response and your continued support in helping us. Please keep us informed. The Wi-Fi not being enabled issue has rendered my device useless. It is also the source of the freezing and the rebooting when I try to enable it. It says "Turning on WiFi" perpetually. Then the toggle switch goes back to off once I leave the screen and go back to it.

Maybe you guys should consider pulling the update (as you did with a lollipop build) to prevent more customers from ending up in the dilemma. It seems the G4 people are also having similar issues since Android 6 updates.

• tmo_lauren

Unfortunately that's not correct.

Google releases the base info for a software update, however it IS the manufacturers that takes that and makes it compatible with their devices. Google doesn't support the software on every device that uses Android and that is indeed left up to the device manufacturer. That said, there are specifications that the manufacturer makes for the carrier, for example we request devices to have WiFi calling as an agreement to sell their devices in store etc., but it is the manufacturer that does the developing.

This is the case with all carriers as no carrier develops in house, and if Google did the development for devices, they would take more of an Apple approach where there is a VERY limited number of devices where there are hundreds if not more different devices using Android. Google doesn't make money on the device sales themselves, which is why they go through manufacturers where Apple makes Apple iPhones. Google has Nexus devices which are a different beast, but in your case, an LG G3 has their software developed by LG.

I can certainly still pass along the feedback for considering a software reversion, but speaking candidly I have never seen that happen, rather pressure for the manufacturers to provide a better update!

-Lauren