Pokémon Goooooooooooo

tmo_lauren

So, who is playing?

And for the more important question, what color did you choose, and why was it yellow?

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: Pokémon Goooooooooooo

I am!

I thought a Pikachu was trolling my neighborhood.  I was wrong.

And because it's the color of the gyms by me and at work.

• tmo_lauren

Excellent choice.

And I'm pretty jealous! I haven't Even seen a Raichu yet.

-Lauren

• tmo_mike_c

I just saw a Ponyta next to me but the app locked up and I couldn't catch it. (Sigh) Guess I'll just have to stay on the Poke-lookout!

• smplyunprdctble

The app is crashing on me a lot.  I've missed out on quite a few Pokemon because it crashed in the middle of catching.

I walked my neighborhood last night for 5k and only got 4 Pokemon -- and 3 of them were Pidgy.  My 10k egg hatched into an Eevee though!

Monday, a coworker and I went to Centennial Olympic Park and caught quite a few Pokemon.

There's SOMETHING in my back yard... but, I don't think I'm a high enough level to see it.  I see the leaves rustling all about.  I'll be glad when I figure out what it is.

• tmo_mike_c

Yeah. The struggle is real. I did find an Abra at my gym a few nights ago. I thought that was kinda boss. I'll be going hiking sometime this weekend so I'll see if I get lucky.

Have you noticed sometimes after you catch one, it goes through the "catching" animation, then it makes you catch it again? Or is that just me?

• smplyunprdctble

If it gets out of the Pokeball, it's not a successful catch, so you have to catch it again.

Not just you.  A product of the game.

• tmo_mike_c

That makes sense. I did get a Raticate, but it took a few tries to catch that bad boy! I finally got'em but he does not look happy about it.

• smplyunprdctble

I ran into a Kingler on my walk today.  I took 5 captures before he actually stayed.  Then I saw a Golbat down the street.  He ran away after capture 2.  I FINALLY got some Razz Berries, so that should help capture the bigger ones in the future.

The edge of the nearest gym is practically INCHES away from the pizza place I frequent.  I was disappointed to see it was just outside my radius.  I refuse to go to that Chinese restaurant though.  I'll just have to wait until I get to work before I go to a gym.

• drnewcomb2

I was thinking how funny it would be to find a way to hack Pokémon to place all sorts of high value items in places like the White House lawn, Area 51,  various nuclear facilities, etc. Then I read about people playing the game in places like Auschwitz and Arlington National Cemetery and how the proprietors of these place want it to stop.

• tmo_mike_c

Oh geez. I haven't been led to a cemetery but Lauren and I were talking about that. That's kinda creepy for a game like this. I do see quite a few Pokéstops that are churches. Another one was a post office by me.

• wtssuperpower

I finally got the app and am at level 8 now.  Was out walking around last night until ten PM... 

Still can't quite figure out how to fight at a gym, or how to place pokemon at a gym to earn the coins,  but am having a great time negotiating the learning curve.

There are four or five friendly gyms along my commute from work to home, so I definitely need to figure out this gym thing and start making some coin!

I joined the red team.  On accident.    The app was being glitchy and freezing up, so silly me just had to try one more screen tap.   I'm not really sure it matters much to the game play which color you choose, and just so happens to be red controlled gyms conveniently located along my merry way home.   My merry way home is going to end up taking a lot longer, I am sure. 

• tmo_ryan

no clue. Lauren is supposed to show me. I just rolled over to level 12 this AM. I was out grinding for 2.5 hours this morning bringing in like 17,000 XP

• tmo_mike_c

I haven't figured out how to fight at the gyms either. I have a few Pokémon that are strong enough to beat the first 2 people at a gym near my house. The 3rd guy might destroy me though. I'm gonna go on a hike this weekend. I found some cool Pokémon on a few trails the last time I went so I hopefully I'll get lucky again!

• wtssuperpower

Yes,  I too was able to score some pretty neat pocket mons while out on the trails.  Its fun to see so many people playing.   I love that the game provides that push to get up off of the couch, and get moving.  I also have really enjoyed rediscovering some of the natural beauty of my hometown, as I've been drawn to parks and waterfalls and historic sites....    

Also have had opportunities to strike up conversation with some interesting folks.

On my last break there were five pokemon in the parking lot.  I caught four.  I've got like 20 pidgeys now that I am saving until I get a lucky egg.  Then will evolve all of them that I can to get double the experience points.   

• tmo_ryan

Game is still a bit buggy but I had no issue catching things earlier today during my morning walk.

After last nights iOS update things feel much more stable and usable.

I think I only had one "bad" catch where it just freezes up. Way better than the every time or every other time.

I also wasn't going in and out of the app this time either.

• tmo_ryan

What's the deal with Yellow?

Everyone keeps posting about picking yellow over blue and red which makes me think Yellow is some sort of evil conspiracy.

• wtssuperpower

I WAAANNNNNTTTTTT to......

Word has in on the call center floor that there are 4 pokemon in the break room right now.

The galling thing is there is zero T-mobile signal in the break room (basement) , so only those renegade subscribers to the opposition party can catch them.

Boo...!

• smplyunprdctble

I'm tired of Zubats.

This morning, the office looked like Castlevania!  Three Zubats around, and a Golbat at the gym!

• tmo_ryan

Oh the pokeballs I've wasted on Zubats...All of a sudden the solid throw I normally make to get them the first time doesn't come remotely close to getting them. I feel like its biathlon trying to hit them and missing.

The only thing I have going for me is I can hand my phone to Lauren this weekend and make her do fancy things to level me up and stuff. 

• wtssuperpower

So, I've now won a couple of gym battles....  three to be exact.  I've also evolved my Evee to a 586 CP Vaporeon via the Rainer nickname trick.   One of my 10k eggs hatched into a 390 CP Scyther (sp?) who is super cool looking :

Level 10 trainer so far.

still loving it

• tmo_mike_c

That's cool you've gotten to battle! I still haven't been brave enough to do that yet. A few days ago I did stroll through my downtown area instead of hiking on a trail. I found SOOOO many Poke Stops.  I walked enough to finally hatch one of my eggs. It was a Horsea!!! I even caught a Pikachu. I swear, Pika has been elusive for the last few weeks. I even evolved my Pidgeotto into a Pidgeot.

• smplyunprdctble

I still haven't come across a Pikachu.

My Raichu is getting lonely.

I've taken over a few gyms.  That's fun when you get that far.

• wtssuperpower

That IS awesome you got a Pikachu, Mike!  Wouldn't mind a few of those myself....

Last night I beat a level three gym.  Then I left.  I have no idea what to do after you beat everyone there.

Im pretty sure something. 

• tmo_mike_c

I'd like to evolve that Pikachu but I need some candy really bad. Until then, I'm just beefing up my Pidgeot and Hypno for a battle.

That's cool you got some battle wins!!! I'm guessing you just check back in to see if someone tries to take your throne!

• smplyunprdctble

My Raichu is already evolved

I got a boss of a Charmander from a 2k egg yesterday.  455CP... FROM A 2K EGG!

And I just caught a Rhydon (literally in the middle of this post).

I'm still over Zubats. 

• tmo_mike_c

I'm actually really jealous of you getting Raichu. I'd be fine with just finding some Pikachus and turning those bad boys into candy. I have 9 eggs so I need to get some walking done and hatch those. I heard the really good Pokemon hatch from the 5K eggs. Not sure how true that is, but we'll see!

• smplyunprdctble

2k eggs have hatched boring things for me (except that mighty Charmander).  It seems like it's the Starters (Squirtle, Charmander, Bulbasaur) and commons (Zubats, Pidgy, Ratatta).

I've had some great finds in my 5k eggs, and my 10k have been quite cool.

My hatching methodology is if I have an extra incubator, 2ks get put in the infinite use one and my bigger distances go in the limited use ones.  That way I'm getting max use of the limited ones.

As for the earlier question about gyms -- if you take over a gym (or have a Pokemon in a gym), you can cash out Pokecoins.  While you have Pokemon in gyms, go into "Shop" and at the top there's an option to "Cash out".  You can only do this once every 20 hours, so if you're planning on raiding multiple gyms, wait until the last and hope your first ones are still under your control.