Bootloader and Updates

speak51

I feel with T-Mobile being the carrier that is said to "unleash" they should either unlock the Bootloader or start updating this phone! I don't care to hear your "he-said, she-said" BS about how it's Sony's fault for withdrawing from the U.S. Market! T-Mobile should be doing something about this because we, obviously, CANNOT! T-Mobile should be the one knocking on Sony's door and saying "This is a problem!" They should be the ones digging for answers! They should put all their slogans about freedom to the test by making this phone unlocked for different ROMs and customizations so that we can update the phone that they have failed us with! That's pretty shady that both corporations are throwing flak at each other but neither one has bothered to attempt amends with the other! Can I put a rep from each corp, on the phone? Conference call? And just let them argue about whose fault it is? Like I said, don't pester me with "It's not T-Mobile's fault". Your comment will be the Jehovah's witness of this section. You will be ignored.

Thanks for reading!

All replies

• matesny

Re: Bootloader and Updates

That was a hillarious post, thanks!

I really like seeing consumers taking a stance protecting their rights. I think the next step here is to seek and find out what more we can do to help initiate an action on the issue. There are usually things beyond complaining on low key forums that consumers can do to help their cause. I know I once started a petition on the White House Petitions website! Couldn't reach the 100,000 signature threshold within 30 days but it was worth a try

• speak51

I'm glad you enjoyed the read... Ive been looking through everything I can find... If I could find a way to slap band 12 onto a D6603 I would do it in a heartbeat! Then there'd be no need for this crap! I had tried QPST but it was extremely screwy with my windows 10...

• tidbits

T-Mobile doesn't lock bootloaders.

If they did why lock only the Xperia Line. No other devices within that span had locked bootloaders other than HTC which they admit they do on their own with an option to unlock.

T-Mobile leaves it up to the manufacturer to lock them or not. It's already been beaten with a dead horse.

• speak51

Well that wouldn't explain why Sony's D6603 can be EASILY unlocked from Sony's website... It's still a Z3. The difference is TMobile... And don't get me wrong I love Tmo, but this is odd.

• tidbits

Answer this one question. Why would T-Mobile lock all Sony devices, but not lock every other device except for HTC devices(HTC said they are doing this since the Sensation or Amaze was released)? T-Mobile during that time said they never will request locked bootloaders and leave it up to manufacturers.  They have kept their word to this day.

I have yet to see a valid and plausible answer to why T-Mobile would request to have Sony devices locked, but no other on their lineup.

The best answer I have heard. Sony charges for unlocking the bootloader and since T-Mobile leaves it up to manufacturers they didn't pay the fee.

• speak51

Sony made unlocks FREE and readily available for the international model. D6603... I should know, I've done it. Supposedly it can be done with the Xperia Z3V as well. That doesn't make sense why this one would be singled out. And you may have answered that question yourself. Sony may have offered TMobile the option for locked bootloader and that was what they chose. Maybe the other major brands didn't give Tmo that option.

• tidbits

There's a difference between carrier version and Sony version.  Manufacturers charges a for features, options, and carrier network options(VoLTE, Wifi calling, and such).  Unless you know what the options are straight from Sony which no low level rep will know, and is under an NDA you will not know.  Verizon locks bootloaders and openly admits this multiple times over.  I don't know who told you the Z3V bootloader can be unlocked from Sony.  I think you may be mistaking Sim unlock over Bootloader unlocked.

I already pointed out the international and 6603 are all on Sony and only them.  They can't charge themselves the option.  Since most places around the world pay more they might as well include the unlock.

So please explain to me again...  What has T-Mobile has to gain to lock the bootloader for Sony devices, but NO OTHER device in their line up? 

• tidbits

Just something to think about.  Manufacturers already admitted the first portion which people and the media glossed over and don't bother explaining.  Like I said I have a feeling Sony locked it and since T-Mobile doesn't care Sony never bothered unlocking it because they wanted someone to pay for it.

• speak51

I HAVE NO IDEA BUT I THINK I JUST FIGURED IT OUT! I REQUESTED A SIM UNLOCK FOR THE PHONE WHICH WORKED AND WHEN I SUBMITTED THE IMEI THROUGH SONY'S UNLOCK PROGRAM IT ***DID*** RETURN A CODE THIS TIME! LEZZ DO DIZZ! (time to test after DRM backup)

• speak51

I was very very close today. The thing that stopped me in my tracks was "bootloader unlock allowed:No" that seems like a TMobile thing though. Not only is TMobile responsible for the testing and release of firmware that has the potential to enable this unlock code, but if it were Sony's fault, they wouldn't have given me the code in the first place! It would have stopped me when it read the type of phone. Plus the bootloader unlock allowed no shows up in service menu which is reading carrier attributes such as unlock codes and etc... Maybe I AM wrong about all of this. Either way it's almost 3:20 in the morning. I'm going to sleep. Goodnight all!

• tidbits

Of course it seems like a T-Mobile thing, but it isn't.

Here's why and not one person can explain.  What does Sony have that no other manufacturers have that T-Mobile will lock their devices and no other devices. To this date since the HTC Amaze T-Mobile has said it was up to the manufacturer to lock or unlock the bootloader. True to form since then all devices to date have always been unlocked unless the manufacturer locks them.

No since people keep blaming T-Mobile for devices being unlocked they are not trying to get devices unlocked for their customers, but ultimately it's still up to the manufacturer. T-Mobile isn't going to alienate manufacturers because they don't want to lose flagship devices.

• e2k

• My S3 is not getting updates: T-Mobile's fault.
                                              • I had to root my phone in order to get WiFi calling on an AT&T variant: T-Mobile's fault
                                              • I am not a millionaire: T-Mobile's fault

This is fun! What else can we blame T-Mobile for?

• tidbits

e2k wrote:

• My S3 is not getting updates: T-Mobile's fault.
                                                  • I had to root my phone in order to get WiFi calling on an AT&T variant: T-Mobile's fault
                                                  • I am not a millionaire: T-Mobile's fault

This is fun! What else can we blame T-Mobile for?

That we have Trump and Hillary as our primary candidates, and looks like we'll either get WW3, or a Civil War?

That we don't have every flagship device in our pockets when they come out?

There must be thousands of things we can

• speak51

I do not think a single thing you just said was listed above,  good sir. You did mention an S3. Maybe you're lost fella. TMobile is pushing to unlock the bootloader. That's what I wanted to hear. If that happens I'll be happy because I can port roms from the other Z3s to this phone. Then who cares if they push D6616 update? (You can also blame TMobile  for your lack of knowledge of which thread you're in or the name thereof)

I am actually TRYING TO DO SOMETHING here. I really like this phone so I want to keep it with the times! I don't feel like that's a lot to ask especially when other models of the same bleeping phone are getting updated to ANDROID N and some "big-time tech guy" is sitting on the keys to my bootloader being unlocked. I never said it was TMobiles fault for lack of updates. I said that they should do something to ensure updates come our way or at least tell us it is not gonna happen. This in the dark crap sucks.

• speak51

They already lost Sony anyway it seems. Doesn't make sense why they wouldn't try SOMETHING... Oh wait... Supposedly they are?.. Which is... What I said above?

I didn't call him and repeatedly yell "this is all your fault! you locked my bootloader, voted for Hillary, and stopped updates. I asked him a few questions, gave him some info. He helped out. He added in the request with devices to unlock bootloaders. I fail to see why you're repeatedly telling me the same thing I already know? TMobile doesn't make updates, yup, I know, BUT they put the money in Sony's pocket for a "flagship" phone, so why not make it money well spend especially when in the background ALL SONY Z3s ARE UPDATING THAT ARE NOT TMOBILE!?

• tidbits

Sony for the most part pulled out of the US market and openly admitted it very recently and no longer focusing on the US market. The update may not be worked on by Sony simply because they laid off a lot of their workers, and are no longer focusing on the US market.

Now if they are defocusing why spend more resources and waste time? If they cut 1/2 of their employees http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/06/01/sony-mobile-division-said-to-cut-nearly-1000-employees/ in a focused market what makes you think they would fair better in the US and Sony was slow to deliver any update to any of their devices(I owned ALL the Z line unlocked imported from Europe. I didn't bother waiting the 3-8 months for their devices to hit the US).

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/sony-defocus-us-other-markets/

The even closed their store front and delegated it to 3rd party retailers all while removing features like the fingerprint scanner for the Z5.

So explain why did T-Mobile lock the Sony devices and no other devices during that exact same span? Of course if it was about selling newer devices then why did other devices within that same span got updated as well?

• speak51

Hello! Quick update! Today I spoke with an assistant to John Legere through the office of the TMobile president. He pushed a request about the bootloader unlock because they're trying to get lots of phones like Samsung phones unlocked apparently! Hopefully an update will come our way but the Sony rep basically said "I can't guarantee an update but I don't control when it comes out". It's kinda funny because she made it sound like an update is on the way and I asked her "is an update GUARANTEED then?" that's when she said "no guarantees". Anyway, let's hope for progress!

• quickgiant

I also want T-Mobile/Sony to unlock the bootloader and/or bring Marshmallow.  Really, I would be happier with either, but doing nothing is unacceptable.  This phone is less than two years old, so if you had a 2 year payment plan or contract, you would still be paying for it, which I believe is reason enough to throw us a bone.  Furthermore, the T-Mobile brand is supposed to be about being the "Uncarrier" and giving us more freedom.  This is obviously a situation where that should apply, and if the problem is with Sony, then T-Mobile should be pressuring Sony.

Please T-Mobile, give us some options here.

• kneafseym

Was sure hoping for a bootloader unlock with the Nougat update.