Windows 10 for the Lumia 640

cjc60

Another month has passed by since the last post.  Any chance that T-mobile will ever release Windows 10 for the 640?  Or do they plan on abandoning it?

All replies

• bronzeagle

Re: Windows 10 for the Lumia 640

You ask if they plan on abandoning it? (As in future tense). If I was a gambling man, I'd place my money on a bet that they had already decided to abandon it once they pulled it off shelves just a few months after launch. It's almost like "uncarrier" applies only to iPhone and Android users... or more accurately, "uncarrier" in all things except the actual business of selling, supporting, and updating phones.

Pretend TMo quote: "oh yeah, and if you buy an unlocked W10Mobile like the Lumia 950 that has Band 12 LTE/VoLTE/WiFi calling built in, we won't allow any of that to be supported either because it's not one of our favorite two platforms... but trust us, we're TOTALLY different than the other carriers". At least that's how I see it. :-)

• tidbits

... It's already been explained why it doesn't work and that's on Microsoft not T-Mobile.

• prismatic

Correct me if I'm wrong but Microsoft didn't require WiFi calling on the Lumia 640 (which i thought was the sole reason the 640 won't get 10, as well as a handful of androids that were denied KitKat for the same reason).  It's a T-Mobile issue.

• tidbits

Various devices didn't get KitKat because manufacturers didn't update their devices to KitKat.  Since it didn't get KitKat you don't expect manufacturers willing to even do basic updates for their devices for security fixes.  If you looked you'd see a lot of devices unless it was catastrophic never even seen an update after that.  That's when Google made that 18 month update cycle concept which manufacturers don't follow on poor sellers.  It wasn't because of T-Mobile.  People need to understand carriers don't touch code like people think they do.  Even manufacturers ADMITTED to this MULTIPLE times, but people IGNORE them.

• e2k

Even when the facts are explained to them, people still blame the carrier. I will never understand it.

• prismatic

Samsung was well known for ditching support for little things during the Galaxy s3's lifetime.  Was referring to the fact that T-Mobile requirements were much greater than the other carriers and the only Snapdragon based s3 to not get 4.4.  You're right that the manufacturer opted not to upgrade but at the same time the bar T-Mobile had is way too high.

The other example I had would be an unlocked Moto G vs a Verizon based Moto G but eh.  Not really valid as VZ does mess with things

• tidbits

They still don't. Motorola dropped support for the US market when Lenovo finalized the purchase. They only chose to update their unlocked and contracted devices(Droid Turbo line). I have unlocked Moto devices that the Euro unlocked counter part is being updated but the US counterpart isn't. Moto E second Gen for example. It's easier to blame the carrier as they are easier to contact.

• tidbits

Also that bar isn't set too high. S3 has wifi calling already built it.  It has the same requirements as other devices which ironically a few were updated to KitKat and were in the same generation.  So that theory is easily thrown out the window. The hacking community has ported over KK with wifi calling and it works fine. That shows a lot and something to think about.