larry91

I've had it with 6.0. I hate just how buggy it is. I've started a couple threads before on how scrolling animations will get really laggy/jerky out of nowhere, but have gotten no answers. 4 months later and I'm still having the exact same issues! It doesn't matter what apps I have installed, what temperature the phone is, how good/bad my signal is, etc. I've had this issue on 3 (THREE) separate devices.

The ONLY THING that seems to help is time. The longer I leave the phone on (like 4-5 days), the better chance I have of the graphics finally smoothing out. Before the last time I restarted the phone, I kept it on for 35 days straight because I finally got the graphics to smooth out once and for all. Unfortunately, I had to restart the device after those 35 days because I was having some issues with WIFI. So once it got restarted, the WIFI was fixed, but the graphics are now getting laggy/jerky again! I suppose I can wait another few days for it to smooth out, but on a device that I paid $500 for, I shouldn't have to! Simple little games run like garbage, scrolling a web page gets "bouncy" (if that makes any sense). I get similar behavior with YouTube, any email app, Quick pic gallery, and even the home screen! The phone acts like it's throttling the processor for no reason.

Does anyone have any answers? Just to let you know, factory resetting/re-flashing the firmware DOES NOT WORK! I've tried that multiple times. I would upload a YouTube video using a screen recorder, but the app doesn't seem to really record my screen at 60fps like it should. On top of that, the YouTube player seems to add way more frame dropping than usual, so it's not a true and accurate representation of what I'm seeing.

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Where is 6.0.1??

Geez, that's a long time to be dealing with this larry91. I don't have any news on 6.0.1, but we can try some things that'll help. Can you test out the scrolling function with the phone in Safe Mode and see if this still happens? I get that you've reset the phone already but this seems to be something 3rd party that's causing this.

• larry91

How do I put it into safe mode?

• larry91

Never mind. I found out how.

• larry91

Ok, so I tried out the phone in safe mode. I decided to start up the YouTube app and ran a video. While the video was playing, I scrolled through the comment section and throughout other parts of the app. The "bouncy" scrolling came back!

• larry91

Mike, any ideas? It behaved exactly the same on safe mode.

• tmo_mike_c

Sorry for the delay. I was out of the office. That's surprising it's happening in safe mode. Is it just with YouTube or with other scrolling animations? We don't have any official word about this happening on this phone. The only other thing you can try is completely removing all 3rd party apps and testing it again.

• larry91

Ok. So II completely factory reset the phone and set it up as a newdevice (so absolutely NO third party apps were installed). I loaded up Gmail and scrolled through my inbox for about 10 seconds and the jumpy/ jittery scrolling was still there.

This is a problem with bad firmware, whether anyone seems to actually notice or not. I guarantee that 5.1 never had any issues like this.

• maciejkoziol

It is available as of today.

• larry91

Ah. Good to know! Unfortunately, I can't update at the moment OTA. I have to wait til I get home to flash it manually through LG Bridge. Hopefully this new firmware performs the way it should.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

• larry91

Just updated about an hour ago. Still 6.0, not 6.0.1. Ran some tests (like scrolling my inbox in Gmail). Runs at a silky smooth 60 fps then really starts to quickly struggle once again. So there's no difference in performance between H81120i and H81120o. Just a security patch.

To be clear, not every single app becomes sluggish, but a lot of them do. Things like the settings screen are always smooth. Some web browsers perform better than others (Dolphin becomes sluggish almost immediately, while APUS browser runs smooth for a few minutes, then starts becoming jumpy and massively stuttering). Gmail runs smooth for about 7 seconds. YouTube runs great as long as I'm not scrolling through a comment section for too long. Games will run good for about 30 seconds, then struggle with an inconsistent and messy frame rate (game optimizer does not make a difference).

The only quick fix for sluggish performance is while in an app, hit the "recent apps" button (the square), then go back to using the app. This is ok for things like web browsing and YouTube, but pointless for gaming since the sluggishness returns so quickly. It's like the phone just can't handle showing anything at 60 frames per second anymore (depending on the app). It's as if the GPU was not optimized properly for their Marshmallow update and LG didn't care to iron out the bugs. Am I really the only one that's noticed the performance downgrade since updating to Marshmallow?

• marcaronson408

Same outcome for me -- it updates to a more current security patch on top of 6.0 -- doesn't update you to 6.0.1.

Runs at a silky smooth 60 fps then really starts to quickly struggle once again

I do not have this problem -- either on the previous rev of 6.0 or the new one.

I did find that enabling developer options and setting "window animation scale", "transition animation scale" and "animator duration scale" to .5x makes everything feel smoother....

Marc

• snn_555

I'd love to see a full increment come to the G4, even would wait for Nougat if I knew it was coming.  G4 is almost paid off, no issues to date, so Id probably hold onto it even if no N came.

• larry91

Setting everything to 5x does nothing but make the transition animations go faster. It does not help the graphics actually perform smoother at a consistent frame rate.

Can't stand the sluggishness anymore. Gaming is completely crippled. My Moto G handles games better than this. I'm either going to find a way to successfully root the phone so I can tweak LG's kernel or just get a new phone completely when I'm able to "JUMP."

• marcaronson408

Makes sense.

I don't play games but if it helps I'm open to trying out what you do on my G4 and let you know if I have similar problems or not -- just send me instructions.

I don't see any obvious issues when scrolling in gmail...

• larry91

Ok.

For Gmail, open the app and go to your inbox. Take your finger and scroll down and up repeatedly for like 7 to 10 seconds straight (don't take your finger off the screen). You'll see the scrolling go from a smooth 60 fps, then it looks like the scrolling has a sort of a "wobbly"/jitter to it right after (that's the best way I can describe it).

For web browsing, try installing dolphin web browser and open up a Wikipedia page (Wikipedia pages load fast and have no ads, so it shouldn't struggle at all. You could also try loading a page with some kind of forum or anything else you can think of thats just basic text without a bunch of adds and videos). Do the same scrolling motion on the page (up and down, keep your finger on the screen for maybe 10 seconds), and you'll see it go from butter smooth to jittery/laggy. Other web browsers do the same thing, but it takes much longer. (I use APUS browser, and it takes a good few minutes for the jitter to start).

For gaming, try to install a game like Hill Climb Racing or Fast Like a Fox. These games will run without hardly a stutter for about 30 seconds to a minute, then you should see it get sluggish/jittery just like the other apps. These games have very basic 2D graphics and don't tax the GPU at all, especially for this phone.

YouTube is tricky, but you can try plugging in your charger, opening the app and start watching a video. Start scrolling through the comments section and throughout the rest of the app by swiping the video down to the corner. It should have similar performance issues as the other apps (The reason I say to plug in the charger is because the phone will start to get warm and it shows what I'm talking about much quicker).

• larry91

So I asked some people on XDA and they linked me to this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/g4/help/g4-unusable-gaming-extremely-low-fps-mm-t3405733

Apparently I'm not the only one who's noticed that gaming has gone down the tubes. How convenient for LG to release a half baked "update" for the G4 as soon as the G5 came out. Yet another phone that I'll have to root and tweak the CPU thanks to poor performing software. Can't believe this is still an issue in 2016.

• marcaronson408

Hi Larry, thanks for that link -- it's interesting.

I ran a scrolling test with gmail and chrome and didn't see any problems on my G4. I don't know why we are having different experiences, but my hunch would be that there is some sort of thermal difference that triggers throttling on your phone but not on mine. Or perhaps I'm simply not as sensitive to the issue and not seeing it.

Best of luck -- let us know how the custom-ROM route goes -- I've been thinking about doing this for fun, but haven't had the time yet...

Marc