Those who have updated to mm....

verhouze

How is it? Battery? Etc?

All replies

• kaoken

Re: Those who have updated to mm....

It is much better. Smoother, quicker and the battery life has improved. Since the update, it has been better. Way better.

Just be sure to perform a factory data reset after the update is installled. Be sure to back phone up with Google and Samsung.

• verhouze

I have done everything except a factory reset. I am satisfied with how it is running. I don't see much difference really. Might be a bit snappier. I had an error that kept happening and the update straightened it out. Might have improved the camera problem too.

• i_am_stahr

No significant difference as far as I can tell... Haven't done a factory reset and don't think I will.

• kanehi

Speed wise I can't tell the difference.  The new feature I like is the ability to write on the screen when it's off like the Note 5.  The icon's new look I can get used to.  The only other thing I don't like is the phone unexpectedly randomly restarts.  It could be updating an apps and in the middle it restarts.  And for no reason at all the screen blanks and restarts.  After the update it restarted twice in one day then once a day and now back to twice a day.  I'm at a loss of why is this happening.

• i_am_stahr

Mine did that too after the update and each time I could tell something else was updated like the music player screen, before the background was gray now it turns the color of the artists pic in a cool blurred out way. I think the blank screens will decrease as soon as the phone as whole has been updated... Just guessing.

• tarheel6279

Mine is doing basically the same thing random restarts reboots... what's more under call logs there is one in particular I can not too late no matter what I've tried!!?

• kaoken

Did u perform a factory data reset? Also a hard reset? That should fix the problem. Otherwise have no idea. Could it be a certain app causing the issues? Try ur phone in Safe Mode? Leave that on for a bit and see how it performs. If all is well, then it is a certain app causing havoc on ur device

• tarheel6279

You are exactly right...and that's usually the issue!! In my random reboot case it seems that the beta Dropbox and Google apps were the culprit!!

Once I unjoined from their beta tester groups,  my random restarts/reboots disappeared!!

Word to the wise...if you decide to become a beta-tester, you might have to live with some system freezes/crashes?!

• kaoken

Your device is all good and running ok, I assume? Kinda crazy that some apps do cause dumb crap like that. Lol. Think it would work now, since you undid from those two, if you to redo them? Probably wouldn't hurt to try.

What is the next phone you want to buy? Anything you looking forward to?

I'm looking forward to the Note 7. One more month, and it shall be set free.  

• kanehi

I disabled Dropbox and Google+ and the restarts actually increased.  I re-enable them again but still no change in restarts frequency.  This is also happening in my wife's GS7 w/ Marshmallow.  Why did T-Mobile released a firmware update when it's not ready yet?

• note4fan

I had bad experiences in updating my original Note 1 from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich and later to Jellybean in that performance and battery drain worsened with each upgrade. When I had a Note 3, I steadfastly refused to upgrade it from Jellybean to KitKat, and held out until I could buy a Note 4 with Lollipop natively installed. That worked great; and so it was with a great deal of trepidation that I decided to take the plunge with Marshmallow. I run around 200 apps and make extensive use of my phone's features and have experienced little or no performance degradation with Marshmallow; furthermore, some of the advanced battery-saving features may result in actual improvement in battery life, although I have not seen that yet--I've only had Marshmallow for about five days.

As many other customers and experts have suggested, sometimes you have to do a factory reset after upgrading to a major new release of Android because junk from the previous release is left behind and causes errors such as the ones you are having. Also, there's always the possibility of some bits being dropped during the over-the-air update so that you end up with a flawed copy of the system. So for those of you who have installed Marshmallow and are having serious problems, you have two choices: (1) do a factory reset and/or (2) have Android "re-flashed." Option 1 is the more painful but the more likely to fix your problem. Back up your data and (some) settings using Samsung's SmartSwitch app. This won't save you from having to re-apply a number of settings manually, and you will have to re-sign-in to all your services and apps that require logins; but I don't think there's any way around it, except possibly for option 2, during which you're not likely to lose your settings. For option 2 you'll need to visit a Samsung kiosk in person--probably in a Best Buy; but bear in mind that this will fix your problem only if it was due to a bad download. If you visit Best Buy, give them a call first and have them download the software image; it takes them about an hour, and they will only retain it for one day; so be sure to be prepared to visit the Best Buy within 24 hours of when you make your initial call. Given the relatively low likelihood that option 2 will fix your problem, I'd recommend biting the bullet and doing the factory reset first.

I did option 1 myself, although it might not have been necessary in my case. I was having what I thought was a problem but was in fact an intentional design change in Android regarding the fingerprint sensor. The point is that the reason my Note 4 is working so well under Marshmallow may be the factory reset.

Given the number of people who are having excellent Marshmallow experiences, I somewhat doubt that the problem is that Marshmallow has been under-tested on the Note 4. Be aware that this release (6.0.1) already fixes most of the problems that were incurred under 6.0; so, except for specific T-Mobile-Note-4 peculiarities, this release should be pretty well debugged. The version that T-Mobile is distributing is Android 6.0.1, which contains fixes for many problems that showed up under 6.0.

My recommendation to those who have not upgraded is to prepare to have to do a factory reset; you may not have to, but you should realize that you might. If that prospect is too unpleasant, you should consider keeping your current release as long as possible. The most serious trade-off is that you will sooner or later not be able to get security updates for a back-level release.

• note4fan

I forgot to mention a third option, which you should try first: clearing cache. That's less likely to work than doing a factory reset, but it's easy and won't interfere with your data and settings. If you don't know how to do it, do a Google search. BTW, I also have Dropbox and Google+ on my Marshmallow Note 4 with no problems.

• kanehi

I broke down and finally backed up and did a factory reset.  It was a pain customizing certain apps again and lost a couple of features that I really liked such as the High Quality Male Voice TTS.  For a couple of days I didn't experience restarts but on the third day it restarted twice.  Now it rarely restarts.  It's a bit sad that MM didn't install cleanly.  Verizon, ATT and Sprint's version of MM are also having problems with restarts and what nots and from what I've read resetting to factory default didn't cure the problem   My wife's GS7 was also having restart problems but TMo had an update and the restarts has virtually disappeared. 

• kaoken

After I did my update, I decided to try everything out. After 3 or 4 days, my device was having random freezes, apps force closing and restarts. That's when I backed everything up with Google and Samsung. I performed a factory reset, and I am not bsing you, that it is running far better than before. Battery life as well. Before factory reset, I couldn't use the keyboard I have in the picture u can see.

• sanzesyn

After the update, the device seems to having a lot of issues - frequent restarts,random freezes, sometimes the device will not boot and I have to do a soft reset. I have tried all options - tried safe mode, removed SD card, did a factory reset, wiped the cache partition and even replaced the battery. The issue still exists and has made the device unusable.

The device was working fine before the update :-( I would not recommend the update unless these are sorted.

• kanehi

Is there a way of reverting back to the Lollipop?   I'm getting tire of random restarts.

• note4fan

Have encountered a couple of bumps in the road, but basically I'm having a good experience with Marshmallow. I did do a factory-reset (for the wrong reason--more below), so I can't vouch for how well the Note 4 would have worked under the new release if I had not done that. Battery life and speed don't seem to have been affected, and I do use most features, including running all the "radios": NFC, Bluetooth, GPS, and WiFi or 4G LTE as appropriate.

I have two issues: (1) The fingerprint sensor can no longer be used to unlock the phone after it has been powered off or restarted. There is much confusion and misunderstanding about this on-line, and even from Samsung's telephone support; it is sometimes erroneously treated as if it were a bug requiring a system reset (that was the "wrong reason" to which I referred above), or software flash, or deleting cache. None of these will help because, whether you like it or not, this is a design feature of Marshmallow.* Fingerprint unlocking does still work, however, if the phone has gone to the lock screen after the timeout specified in Settings. It also works within applications, such as Facebook and RoboForm, as promised. (2) This one is either an actual bug, or an omission in the documentation: the new feature that allows one to post a message on the lock screen (such as an emergency contact or phone number in case someone picks up the phone and wants to return it to you after you've lost it) worked briefly, but subsequently failed, possibly because I added notifications and camera and phone access to the lock screen. Settings allows one to check all options simultaneously, but all do not in fact work simultaneously. I would be curious to know if others are experiencing the same.

*How do I know that the new fingerprint unlocking situation is a feature and not a bug when even Samsung support is confused about it? I spoke with a Samsung rep at one of their Best Buy kiosks. The guy was obviously very expert--sometimes you can just tell; this was a person who worked in the trenches, as it were, and had already had experience with a number of other customers on this issue. Furthermore, he gave a plausible explanation for this design change; I don't agree with the decision that Google firmware developers made, but it IS plausible: a number of customers had been locking themselves out of their phones because they were fortunate enough to have their fingerprint scanners work so reliably that they never had to use their backup password, and thus forgot it. When the time came that the fingerprint scanner wouldn't work, they thus had no backup method for unlocking their phones without a factory reset; so Google decided to force us users to use our backup passwords occasionally.

• note4fan

An update: Owner information will not show if there are any uncleared notifications. Certain applications such as Weatherbug keep a permanent presence in the notifications and thus prevent the display of owner information. I wonder if Google could make the Owner Information option a little more robust.

• spunky291

I know this doesn't address the original poster's question, but this seems to be the place people are mentioning....

After marshmallow update, I am also having random restarts, at least a few times each day.

I'll do a factory reset as suggested by others when my schedule permits and I have time to do all the appropriate backing up and reinstalling...  I've never done a hard reset, so I'll have a learning curve.

I enjoy the new note-taking option now available when the screen is "off," but otherwise see no benefits for me in marshmallow. 

Since I use my phone for some media content at work, the random restarts could catch me at an awful time.  I suppose it'll be an easy fix when I get to it, but am annoyed to have to do it; this update was definitely the opposite of an improvement in my experience.

• stahr

The battery isn't any better or worse in my opinion... Besides new icons (which I could've downloaded from the play store) I still have the same phone.

I think I'm gonna try rooting my phone... Can anyone tell if that's a good idea?

• note4fan

I think I missed something: why are you thinking of rooting your phone? I've heard that rooting a carrier phone will void the warranty; otherwise, it does give you more control over bloatware, etc. If you are experiencing buggy behavior after the Marshmallow update, it would seem to me that a factory reset would be less drastic. (Wouldn't you lose settings when rooting the phone just as you would when factory-resetting? I don't know; I'm asking.)

• matesny

Most Note 4s are out of  (1 yr. Samsung) Warranty (as they are about 2 yrs. old by now). Unless one bought an extended warranty, rooting does not void anything.

• tarheel6279

Rooting gives you more options i.e., access to some custom roms/operating

software etc., but it absolutely voids any/all warranties on your device!

What's more, if a future ota update is scheduled for your note 4, you won't

be "on the list", and I'm pretty certain that goes for security

patches/updates too!? I agree, tmobile didn't fine-tune this software

update, in fact as a novice app dev-design person myself, they did very

little to it once Samsung handed off to them for "testing"(wink-wink)! All

carriers do basically nothing to the update package except tweeking it for

their network and some of their "pet apps"!!

My advice, be patient w/tmobile...ALOT of negative feedback is pouring in

right now and my guess is we will see another marshmallow update/patch, if

you will, very soon....remember, the original lollipop rolled out, and two

(2) subsequent updates/patches  thereafter! !

• stahr

I didn't really know anything about rooting a phone, it seems to me that most people who do it seem to have opened their phone to a whole new world... I didn't know it would be a bad thing... DEFINITELY NOT GONNA ROOT MY PHONE... THANK YOU NOTE4FAN, MATESNY AND TARHEEL6279 FOR YOUR RESPONSES.