service in dominican republic??

melaniechaim

I am leaving to  dominican republic in four weeks for a seven-day vacation. i saw recently on tv that t mobile extended coverage to Mexico, the Dominican republic, and Canada. does this mean i will have normal 4g service as if i was in the US when i land in Dominican republic? or will i have no service and just have to use my iPhone 5c on wifi?

All replies

• stevetjr

Re: service in dominican republic??

First it depends on what plan you are on.  For the international roaming you need to be on a Simple Choice Post Paid plan (i.e. a credit check plan)

If you are on that plan yes US and Mexico are no different than being in the US but the Dominican Republic is not part of Mexico so would fall under the international roaming in which 2G data is free, texting is free and calls are $0.20 per minute although if you call a US number or a US number calls you with Wi-Fi calling those are free. Again this is on Simple Choice Post Paid plans. To see more info just scroll down and enter the Dominican Republic in the destination field and it will show you the details and then you can scroll farther down and enter your device to ensure it works in the DR.

International Plans | Traveling Abroad without Roaming Fees | T-Mobile

• drnewcomb2

T-Mobile is running a summer special where customers get free high-speed data in Europe during July & August. I don't see where this applies to DomRep. As stevetjr says, you should have free texting and free (albeit slow) data and 20c/min phone calls in DomRep. Calls received via WiFi calling and calls back to the US via WiFi should be free. Avoid making local calls over WiFi as that would cost more than 20c/min. I recommend having a communications backup plan, just in case roaming does not work. If you plan to be around WiFi, then WiFi calling might be a plan. Viber or Skype-out could be another plan.

• melaniechaim

so i can text when i land? I have a family plan btw, four people the new 3 lines 4th line free deal. I can text my friends and family in the US without being charged or anything for it? I know calling is obviously going to cost money but texting is 100% free? and international roaming? is that something i can just switch on my iphone and doesnt roaming cost money?

• stevetjr

Yes if the family plan is post paid and you are in a covered country

texting and 2g data are free. Make sure you have roaming enabled. Calling

is 20 cents per minute on cellular or if you have WiFi then WiFi calling is

free to or from a US number. To know if a country is covered just enter it

into that link from my first post.

• drnewcomb2

melaniechaim wrote:

so i can text when i land? I have a family plan btw, four people the new 3 lines 4th line free deal. I can text my friends and family in the US without being charged or anything for it? I know calling is obviously going to cost money but texting is 100% free? and international roaming? is that something i can just switch on my iphone and doesnt roaming cost money?

It has sometimes taken my phone up to an hour to register in another country. Normally, it takes just a few seconds. For Simple Choice postpaid (vs prepaid) customers texting and slow data should be free. Only making and receiving phone calls costs money. Calls received and made to the US via WiFi should be free. If you are in doubt as to which plan you are on, call 611 and ask. You should call anyway to confirm that roaming is active.