What Happens If You Turn Off VoLTE?

semijim

Hi All,

I was considering purchasing a Moto X Pure Edition.  Found out Lenovo broke VoLTE (for some networks?) on the Android Marshmellow update.  Lenovo's suggested work-around?  Turn off VoLTE.

Now it seems to me this could be a problem in TMO coverage areas served only by VoLTE, such as northern Michigan.  Normally, without band 12 and VoLTE, one would roam onto AT&T's network.  But what would happen on a device that's supposed to have VoLTE, so it does work on band 12, but VoLTE's been turned off?

Yes, and that really, really is Lenovo's suggestion.  They may fix the problem when and if they release Android N for the Moto X Pure Edition, which they may do this fall.  Here's the discussion on their site: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-X-Pure-Moto-X-Style/Choppy-call-audio-after-MM-upgrade-w-VoLTE/td-p/3239629

Thanks,

Jim

All replies

• tidbits

Re: What Happens If You Turn Off VoLTE?

I always assumed that you would drop down to HSPA.  I don't think T-Mobile has any area that is VoLTE only just yet.

What I have seen happen when there is no LTE present on the device are 

Dropped down to 2G when making a call

Dropped down to HSPA when making a call.

If no LTE is present you will be on either 2G or HSPA.

• tmo_lauren

You would drop to the signal below.

As was mentioned, nowhere with just VoLTE yet!

-Lauren

• semijim

If that is true, then why did TMO force manufacturers to disable band 12 on phones that didn't qualify for VoLTE?  Their reasoning was, allegedly: Band 12 with no VoLTE meant no voice service.

Colour me confused.  Very, very confused.

Jim

• tidbits

It's already been explained.

Regulation and testing if the manufacturer doesn't want to test it then they recommend manufacturers not have it enabled. T-Mobile has never forced manufacturers to drop Band 12 or disable it. It has shown a few of these devices while not having VoLTE and connecting to band 12 will not hand off when dialing 911. This is a problem which could cause litigation and potentially a person dying. Now would you want to have this happen?

• tidbits

So basically T-Mobile made that disclaimer protecting their buttons from litigation. Manufacturers disabled it realizing this. Everyone blamed T-Mobile for it after the fact.

• semijim

Look, I don't really want to get into the whole finger-pointing thing between T-Mobile and, in this case, Lenovo/Motorola/Whatever.  All I had was a straight-forward technical question: In an area that is served ONLY by Band 12, and they do exist, what happens when a device has Band 12 enabled, but VoLTE disabled?

My belief and understanding, from my understanding of How Things Work, is that the customer would be left without voice service.

Why this question is of interest is not to beat up either TMO or Lenovo/Motorola/Whatever, but, because, when Lenovo/Motorola/Whatever last updated the Moto X Pure Edition, they broke VoLTE on some networks.  TMO's being one of them.  Their recommendation: Disable VoLTE.

I'm just trying to establish that following their recommendation is really not a "fix," per se.

Thanks,

Jim

• tidbits

Band 12 only is VoLTE. Not a VoLTE only area as things should downgrade. Any place that has band 12 T-Mobile will have at least 2G and should hand off when needed. When a device connects to band 12 and doesn't support VoLTE and someone calls 911 the call fails. It will not switch to a provider that has signal(any carrier not just T-Mobile) which is the problem and a liability.

• semijim

No, tidbits.  It is demonstrably false that "[any] place that has band 12 T-Mobile will have at least 2G."  There are huge swaths of areas in the U.S. that are covered by T-Mobile's "Extended Range LTE" that are not covered by anything else, on any band, other than whomever with which T-Mobile has roaming agreements.

You can't see it on TMO's site, any more, because TMO now shows only their 4G coverage.  But if you go to Sensorly, opensignal, etc. you can see just how sparse is T-Mobile's 2G and 3G coverage.

You wrote "When a device connects to band 12 and doesn't support VoLTE and someone calls 911 the call fails."  That was precisely what I would expect to happen, from all I've read, but, more accurately: NO calls can be made, period.  (Other than with GV and the like.)

Which is the point to which I was trying to get.

Jim

• tidbits

Here's the problem if you device doesn't support band 12 and you are in a VoLTE are your device wouldn't work period. If there is LTE on band 4 in your are then it will hand off when you call as you would have 2G or 3G in your area and you'd make a call without VoLTE.