ravenclaw27

I have seen that others have commented with similar issues, and the title says it all.  For a few weeks now, I haven't been receiving all of the texts people have sent to me.  Some will come through, but oftentimes they'll go unreceived regardless of connection to WiFi.  Because of this, I have missed out on some important texts

All replies

• lemlaw

Re: Galaxy S5 not Receiving All Texts

I am having the exact same problem on my LG G4.  I am located in Orange County, CA and for the past few weeks, SMS texts have not being going through.  I can receive them sometimes, sometimes not, but they are not going out.  MMS messages seem to continue to work... most of the time.  I have manually updated the APN connections which did not help, and then reset them to default. I have uninstalled my testing app and used the pre-installed app to see if this made a difference.  In both apps, when I checked the status of the SMS text, it says "delivered." I tried other texting apps (Chomp has ALWAYS worked and now isn't; same with Mood).  I have scoured the boards to find a solution and I have found that across the country people appear to be having significant problems with T-Mobile mobile data connections.  This is pretty severe as T-Mobile texting does not work over wi-fi and many people (including myself) have migrating to texting as their main venue for emergency messages.  As a result of the above problems, I have missed some pretty critical texts coming in and going out.  What is the deal T-Mobile??

• ravenclaw27

I'm bumping this so it doesn't get closed.  I'd also like to update my original post and say that many of my texts are sending twice.

• tmo_lauren

Thanks so much for the info and lets see what we can find out!

Does this seem to happen with specific contacts, or does it seem like it will fail with anyone? Are you sending your messages through hangouts, or just the standard default SMS?

-Lauren

• ravenclaw27

Thank you for your response!  This seems to be happening to all of my contacts, as more and more people have been informing me that I have missed their messages.  All of these have been via standard SMS and both with and without a WiFi connection (I also don't have WiFi calling on)

• sjfel

I am having trouble receiving text messages mainly from iPhone users.  I got a new Galaxy 5 (under warranty) after trying several things with the store associates to rectify the problem.  This phone was fine for about 2 months and now it has started happening again.  I need a phone that receives text messages for my job....this is not acceptable...any ideas???

• rickyd5000

It would be good to know if you don't receive any messages from these iPhone users, or if you only miss some messages.  If you don't receive any messages, then this might be something the iPhone users need to fix on their end (such as configuring their iPhone to send both iMessage and SMS).  If you only miss some texts but receive other texts from these iPhone users, I would try the 2 steps I posted here:  Does this fix your phone sporadically missing text messages?

BTW, a user just replied on that thread with a Galaxy S5 saying those instructions fixed the issue for her.

• rickyd5000

Let me restate my previous message (it won't let me edit it):

If you are not getting texts when the sender is iPhone and the receiver is Android,  the majority of these cases need to be fixed on the sender's iPhone.  The sender needs to change their iPhone's settings to send *both* iMessage and SMS.  If they are sending only iMessage, Android phones won't get it.  You may still be getting some texts from them, as text messages can be sent in different forms such as MMS messages.

As far as I have tested, my fix helps the issue of "sporadically missing texts" from Android to Android.  It may fix a case with Android to iPhone or vice-versa, but I haven't seen a case like that yet.  I would love to know if it does fix or does not fix these cases, so please add to the thread if you give it a try:  Does this fix your phone sporadically missing text messages?

BTW, a user just replied on that thread with a Galaxy S5 saying those instructions fixed the issue for her (but may not be the same case as yours).

• bcawrse

I've had this happen with multiple contacts through standard SMS. Any other text medium works just fine.

If my carrier can't manage standard SMS I'm willing to move somewhere else since this is a basic feature I expect when I pay that monthly bill. I've been a loyal customer but if this lasts much longer I'm gone.

I'm on a Galaxy S5. We recently had a software upgrade. This happened before the upgrade as well, it's just become much more frequent recently.

• mitchey

I reported this problem to T-mobile several weeks ago with no resolution. Emptied cache and all that jazz, and still having issues. All the T-mobile customers that I deal with claim the same thing here in Tampa, FL. Each person has a different type of phone, and it's with all contacts using standard SMS. It's ridiculous to call them and have them tell you that they are unaware of any issues when they clearly are!

• theneweddie

My brother who is currently out of the country told me he is getting texts clearly intended for other people. Sounds like TMo has some real issues with SMS,

• ravenclaw27

Bumping so this thread doesn't get closed

• ravenclaw27

Bumping again

• lemlaw

I'M STILL HAVING MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH BOTH SMS AND MMS MESSAGES. This has gotten really bad. Everything works fine for awhile ... then all of a sudden messages stop going through ... then I turn my phone off and on again and everything goes through... SOMETIMES ... sometimes not!!!! what is the deal???

• ravenclaw27

I'm still having problems, as well.  As I keep saying, I just keep finding out that I'm missing more and more SMS messages from more and more people.  The two most important and basic functions that cell phones should have and support are calling and sending SMS messages, but how are people supposed to use their phones if their provider doesn't support one of them?

• ravenclaw27

I'm going back to bumping.  I will not let this thread close until this issue is resolved.  We've been dealing with this for weeks now and there are no solutions. 

• ravenclaw27

It's been over a week since we heard anything official

• ravenclaw27

I hope it isn't too late to bump and keep this thread open

• ravenclaw27

Any updates?  I'm still missing a very large number of SMS messages

• rickyd5000

• sdveteran

Thanks rickyd5000.  Your link is NOT the fix for the problem described on this post.  And your fix means having to have other senders of texts to me to change their phones. That's very unrealistic.  My problem has nothing to do with W
                                                IFI, or internal settings, or anything else you suggest..  I've made all the changes you describe (other than tell senders of texts to change their phones).  I've had two new sim cards, two factory resets, and one reflash.  It has been suggested that I try a third party texting program, but doesn't that seem a bit extreme?  You spend hundreds of dollars on a top name phone and texting is inconsistent?  Sorry if I sound frustrated.  T-Mobile has been almost useless on this issue.  They are currently tracking my phone where I gave them specific examples of dates/times when texts did not show up on my phone but showed up on the t-mobile site as delivered.

• rickyd5000

First, lets chill and and back up a bit...  I do not work for T-Mobile.  I was merely trying to help...  You're welcome.

Second, if you google around a bit, this is an ongoing issue across all carriers, and there doesn't appear to be any quick fix for it.  So since we don't have the time, skill, and resources to identify the root cause of the issue, the next best thing we could do is to try and workaround the problem.  That is what my instructions are aimed to do.

Third, I don't think you can say my link does not work, if you can't carry out the instructions.  Yes, you may not have control over the sender's phone of the text.  I clearly stated this.  However, there are others who do have control and having the same problem including myself.  Husband and wife, family members, and close friends can text frequently enough to reproduce the issue say once per week or so.  You should be able to change the configuration on both phones and see if the "missing texts" problem goes away. 

Fourth, the best way to fix the problem is to narrow down the possible causes.  If my workaround works for several people on a consistent basis, then we know the problem is with sending "long messages" (those greater than 160 characters) as SMS messages instead of MMS.  Then the folks at google, tmobile, etc have a better chance at fixing the root cause of the problem.

Fifth, if you google around a bit, the problem does not appear to be specific to T-Mobile.  It appears to be across all carriers.  In fact, it seems to be more of an issue with Android phones, and does not appear on Apple iPhones.

Sixth, I agree this seems like a basic feature, and should be reliable especially in 2017.  But its not, and google will tell you text messaging is notoriously unreliable.  Even if you were to switch to iPhone, while you may receive texts reliably, your Android friends may not.  So until the root cause is fixed, and everybody updates their phones to get the fix - the best route for critical communication is not to use text messages - use email, whatsapp, or facebook, etc.

Good Luck.

• angie.scrivano

I hope we still get a response because I'm having the same problem and I've read this entire thread and there's been no answers given. I've done everything short of factory resetting my phone. What's the deal?

• ot98@aol.com

I am having the same issue. I cleared data, cache, factory reset but still not getting all my texts messages. Any fix?

• neubs129@aol.com

I have an LG G5. I am not receiving all my text messages. First, they did a factory rest. Then a new sim card. Now I got a replacement phone , under warranty. I have had it for 2 weeks. Today I didn't get 5 texts from different people. I am so frustrated. Has anyone found out what is going on with this?

• destroky

It might be due to Wi-Fi calling. If you are connected to receive and send calls via Wi-Fi, then any SMS or MMS (especially using 3rd party apps) will not be received because you're not connected to the cell towers.

I'm not 100% sure if that is the reason, but you can definitely test it.

• magenta1959807

I've been having this problem since I had the original iPhone also and it still haunts me when i switched to Android 3 years ago. I might get a new number (yes its a bit extreme) since its the last thing i haven't tried.