chris13

I'm a long time TMO@Home user and have just come across the new TMOLineLink service and want to know if anyone has any feedback on the newer service?  I'm pretty happy with TMO@Home, but would really love to get rid of the old TMO@Home router...plus if the router goes, there apparently aren't replacements and have more clear calls.  My present system seems to be quite unstable now that I have a Comcast router and I drop calls, they bug out during calls, and all kinds of other annoyances.  I use it as a business line, so it's important it is more reliable than it has been in the past 3-6 mos.

That said, in my brief investigation, it looks like TMOLineLink does not have call waiting or caller id, is that correct?  Also, from the only other discussion in this area, there seems to be other issues like call forwarding codes (??) and caller id names?  I've been with TMO for 14 years and tried to call in to get some info, but got transferred 3 times and it doesn't seem like reps know much about this product.  Is there a special number to call?

Any feedback would be appreciated.  I'd hate to move away from something I know works, even if sometimes unreliable, to something that I don't know and it be worse.

Thanks!

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Re: TMO @Home vs LineLink?

You are correct on the caller ID and Call waiting.

The product is fairly new and only sold in stores, so phone representatives may not be as familiar with the product as store. Can you specify what you mean by call forwarding codes?

What are the specific features you need? I'll be happy to look into any feedback on what is important to you and make sure you don't swap to something you regret!

-Lauren

• chris13

Meaning NO caller ID and call waiting, right?  You are throwing me off with the smiley face...it would be a frown to me, if those features aren't available...

Ok, in my quick research I've read some people have gotten the product/service by calling in, so will defer to you as the expert that it is only store purchased.  Thx.

There is another thread in the LineLink area that talks about "call forwarding codes" that I guess you can type into your phone line (like the old star 69) and it will forward calls.  Seems the technology is there per that thread, but it is hit or miss on it working with LineLink.

I really need call waiting and caller ID (number showing is just fine even if no name shows).  Call forwarding would be nice but not a requirement.  If those things are there, I'd probably go to the store and switch to LineLink today, but without them I'll probably stay put until the router kicks it.  If that happens, I'd unfortunately probably move this line to another provider.

• gramps28

I have the regular caller ID but not the enhanced that shows the name.

• tmo_lauren

Caller ID should function, but as gramps mentioned, not the enhanced type that shows wireless names, etc. and call waiting will still be available.

As for the call forwarding codes, I am not so sure about those. I went ahead and reached out to the person who is over some of the LineLink documentation hoping to find a confirmation!

-Lauren

• chris13

Ok, check, basic caller ID and call waiting are still available.  Thank you.

Call forwarding not a major issue for me, but I'm sure others would like to know for sure if available through some type of codes, again, per the other thread.

I hope to get to the TMO store tomorrow and inquire there about LineLink...we'll see.  Thx.

OK.  I replaced my @home router 24 hours ago with landlink and boy am I unhappy

1. No enhanced caller ID
                    2. No call waiting ID at all
                    3. No real time call logs
                    4.     Web site can take hours or days to update
                    5.     Does not list unanswered calls
                    6. No messages lite on phone
                    7.      Linelink is in closet not on desk next to phone
                    8. Linelink has locked up three times in last 24 hours
                    9. Told I can NOT switch back
                      • gramps28

4084299621 wrote:

OK.  I replaced my @home router 24 hours ago with landlink and boy am I unhappy

1. No enhanced caller ID - True
                        2. No call waiting ID at all- Haven't used this feature
                        3. No real time call logs- My handset stores this information
                        4.     Web site can take hours or days to update - @home was the same way
                        5.     Does not list unanswered calls - Again handset stores this information
                        6. No messages lite on phone - Mine didn't show voice mail notification at first but it does now
                        7.      Linelink is in closet not on desk next to phone
                        8. Linelink has locked up three times in last 24 hours
                        9. Told I can NOT switch back - Since @home  is grandfathered and no longer offered

there's no way they can offer it back to you. You can try to escalate getting it back with

T-Force through social media and they may be able to help.

• tmo_lauren

Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm sorry it hasn't been a positive one.

Like gramps mentioned, T-Force may be your best chance at getting @home back, although I am not entirely certain it's possible.

-Lauren

@home is not the same way because the log is on the router I and n real time.

1. Firmware Version: v1.00.25, May. 25, 2010
                              • Yes the Web based log shows whatever T-mobile wants when they want
                              • The router based log shows start and stop times, duration and more
                              • The router based log shows missed calls wether a message was left or not
                                • gramps28

I know the router showed all that info but I never needed it.

My phone and Dish Hopper keeps my calls and my phone shows whether I have a missed call

or voicemail.

Not a deal breaker for me.

• bcxxiii

My @Home was working fine but then I got a text from T-Mob to get Line Link. I ordered and wasted 7 weeks (calling again and again and waiting) and then the other day they told me I have to go to the store. So I went and migrated my two @Home lines to Line Link. I had made sure, repeatedly, that everything will be the same and there is no extra charge. Now there is no caller ID name, only number AND when someone leaves a message no blinking light to alert you. Not even a tone when you lift the handset to tell you that there is message waiting! So every time I come in I have to dial 123 to check if there is any message.

The deceptive practices I noticed in this deal:

1. They assure you that everything remains the same but better sound quality and they remove Caller ID Name. If you want it you pay extra $5 to get that back.

2. They remove the blinking message alert. May be it is another option for more charges, I did not check.

I feel cheated because my @Home service was working fine. If I had NOT blindly trusted T-Mob I would have tried switching only ONE line and would have noticed the shortcomings. I have been with T-Mob for two decades or so, before they were VoiceStream, and they have been good more or less. That's why I moved all my numbers to T-Mob. I have a total of four numbers with them. It is not the $5 extra or the message light, I feel tricked by them into this. I asked them to move me back to @Home and they say that is being discontinued, can't move back. I should have stuck with @Home till they discontinued it but I trusted them and they cheated me. They can do good business without deception and trickery but they probably feel the need to follow others in this business.

• bcxxiii

After a few days of my posting the above under another topic my VM notification light started blinking and the tone also is back. May be it takes a few days for that to come alive but still no caller ID name, only number.

• bcxxiii

chris13, the caller ID name was always there on @Home, if your phone was capable. I did not change any of my capable equipment, only the LineLink devices, and the caller ID NAME no longer shows, only number shows up. Names showing does not depend on whether it is stored in your phone or not because mine is a regular Panasonic landline 3-line phone and there are no names saved in it. Name is now extra charge they say. Then why did they say everything will work the same but better, is my gripe. This surely is deceptive practice. Either they should make this clear everywhere they advertise LineLink or they should make CID Name available. Or I should look for Ooma or something else. I never thought of moving but now I am getting ideas. Mainly because I feel cheated. They took advantage of my gullible/trusting nature.
                                              The service does not seem to be any better than @Home either, I have not noticed anything better. May be my senses are mired in their duping me into switching to LineLink. I was very fond of being a T-Mob customer and recommended them to everyone and even persuaded some of my friends to switch from other difficult carriers but this is the first time ever I am feeling a dislike and distrust towards T-Mob.
                                              I spent many many many hours recently with T-Mob customer service (difficult to speak to, understand and whatnot) but they will not put the NAME CID back. More often than not I got someone in Philippines and I could not understand about 75 percent of what they were saying. Not a comment about Philippines but they should be trained to speak in a way that the rest of us can understand. I am not born an American and I have an accent too but I can understand all sorts of accents but I can't understand much of what these customer service reps would say. Finally I got a nice lady supervisor and she understood my concerns and transferred me to (once again!) to another department ("loyal customers department") and after wasting more of my time they said they cant give me name CID or switch me back to @Home.
                                              I don't want them calling me a "Loyal Customer" again. Totally feeling cheated.

• chris13

Well, don't be too upset.  I just got a letter stating the @Home service is going "bye bye" on or after March 31st, 2017 per TMO.  TMO is offering me LineLink as an alternative and will send me the device for free with free standard shipping.  Guess I will give it a try and go from there.

• bcxxiii

Yes I know, they told me too that @Home is being discontinued.
                                                      After they promised that they will send me the LineLink equipment I had to call several times and THEN they tell me that it is only available in store so I had to go to the store. So make sure they deliver. But remember you are getting a stripped down version of @Home - no caller name CID and no call-waiting CID. At least my message light started blinking now - praise the Lord!
                                                      I was very loyal to TMo for I think almost two decades now, but don't feel that anymore because I feel duped by them.

• wayneseltzer

I got the @Home transition letter, too.

I called TMO and the agent assured me that LineLink was exactly the same as @Home, just new hardware and pricing. I agreed to the transition, received 2 LinkLink adapters, installed and activated them.

I was surprised that caller name ID (CNAM) was not working.

I called TMO and was advised that CNAM was available for $3.99 per month per line. Sigh.

I asked for this to be enabled.

Still not working.

Called TMO again today and this time the agent told me that CNAM is not available at all for LineLink.

Looking forward to a definitive answer from TMO.

CNAM is requirement for me, so if LineLink does not include it, I'll be looking into alternative VoIP solutions

that have this essential feature.

- Wayne

• mikehartigan9999@att.net

All of the above and more.  I got the letter and switched.  Not only do I have fewer features, but the price quadrupled over @Home.  Fortunately, I cancelled it before my @home was stopped, so I'll use that until I get another provider.  T-Mobile is not the only game in town.  I should also note that Customer Service has clearly not been brought up to speed on the new product.  The misinformation I got when ordering the service is almost comical.

• chris13

Interesting.  So, it's not $10/mo as stated on the TMO website and what I'm paying now for the @Home service?  If that's the case, looks like I'll be switching to another provider, as well.

• gramps28

It's $20 a month with a credit of $10 a month making it the same.

• bcxxiii

That is another ploy. This has happened with me from T-Mob before, for something else. They will charge full and give you a discount to make it as before. Then when you are not looking they will stop giving you the discount. Then when you realize after a couple of months ans call they will say "oh, that's old story, you can't go back!" Speaking from experience. I want to meet ONE company or organization who would be truthful to me in what they say and T-Mob was almost like that but not anymore.

• gramps28

I have a prepaid phone I'm thinking of porting the number to and buy Bluetooth handsets to cut my bill.  I pay nothing for the prepaid plan and get minutes for buying groceries.

• bcxxiii

gramps28, that seems like a great idea! I need to look into that. Thanks for sharing your idea. More than anything else T-Mob's dishonest tactics are upsetting me very much. As a matter of principle I should look elsewhere, I feel. Thank you.

• chris13

Yeah, unfortunately I always check my TMO bill in detail because of errors like this.  I admit I haven't had many and they always fix when I call, but a hassle to constantly have to question whether your bill is right or not.  It's friggin 2017, you'd think they could get their billing software in line.

• bcxxiii

Last night when I checked my LL rates have gone up from $10 per line to $20 per line! So 40 for two lines, which was only 10 for two lines in the beginning. Now I have to call and ask why. This is a constant struggle now with Tmob. I am getting sick.

• chris13

This is how TMO makes it look now for billing for some reason.  So, your bill will show $40 ($20/ LL line) and you SHOULD get a $20 credit ($10/LL line).  I ran into this yesterday when I switched to the new TMO One plan and wanted to keep the @Home/LL line.  Guess they think it looks good from a marketing standpoint.

My bill still shows wrong, though, so will have to call them again to check.  They insist I will be getting a $15 credit every month so my bill is $110 for 3 lines, but doesn't make sense based on what I changed my service to.  TMO billing drives me crazier than not having their service in some locations.  You constantly have to watch the billing.  Ughhh...

• mikehartigan9999@att.net

I was charged $20 versus $5 for @Home.  They lowered it to $10 only after I called to complain.  The $5 for @Home is in addition to the price of the 6th line on my mobile plan for that device, which, I assume, would also apply to LineLink.  I didn't keep it long enough to find out.

• gramps28

My @home line was $10 since I only had two other lines on my account.

But my bill actually went down a little since I was getting my corporate discount taken off the $20.

• chris13

Do you mind saying where you moved your line to?  If the LineLink doesn't work for me, I may switch, as well.

I use @Home/LL as a second line (business), so I don't really need Caller Name ID, but do like having "generic" call waiting with just Caller Number ID.  Funny thing is, just in the past month, a person I speak with frequently his Name ID (with number) shows up when he calls.  I've never added him or his number to any phone memory or anything, so just weird it started showing up out of the blue.  It is sporadic as well, sometimes it shows all info and sometimes just the number.

Oh well, will give LineLink a shot and go from there.

• wayneseltzer

TMO was able to get Caller Name ID (CNAM) working on my 2 LineLink lines today.

So, apparently, it is available, at an additional cost.

- Wayne

• 4084299621

additional thought:

When the @home service was sold it was sold as a household wide solution.  Set it up, plug it into your household phone wiring and all your phones worked and had vm notice via he light on the phone.

Not possible with the life-like.

• chris13

Thank you for the info and very sorry for your experience...part of the reason why I've waited on switching and posted this thread, to get/see more feedback.  So far, not good it seems and not sure why TMO doesn't see this.  Seems like very easy things to address.

Anyway, I knew about 1, good to know about 2, 3-7 not a huge issue for me, 8 stinks, and keep this thread posted on 9...I'm assuming they won't be able to switch you back and may lead you to have to find an alternate provider.

Good luck, hope you get it fixed.  I will stay put for now with @Home and my old Vtech Dect 6 phone. 

• gfbhwo

I assume these two are related:

• No messages lite on phone
                                                                          • Linelink is in closet not on desk next to phone

The message light is on the Linelink, so yes if you keep it in the closet you will not see it. However I have noticed that if you have a waiting voicemail the dial tone sounds slightly different when you first pick up the phone. It stutters slightly - Comcast voice service does the same thing. I hope that helps

• 4084299621

I can't speak for Comcast but here at T-mobile my @home device it will light up the message waiting light on the phone.  You can be across the room and see you have a message wait

• gramps28

I can't speak for Comcast either since I had the @home service and now linelink.

As you can see from the pic voicemail shows on my phone. I had to go in the phones settings

to turn it on and after I did that it started giving me the notifications.

• 4084299621

Has anyone had trouble leaving messages to friends and businesses?

Called a non t-mobile cell and went to vm.

• Could not leave message
                                                                            • Would not allow any keypress

• Works fine from cell phone
                                                                            • Works fine from MagicJack
                                                                            • Works fine from @home
                                                                            • 4084299621

After wasting tens of hours on the phone with support I have chucked the linelink system entirely.  My first @home router was rendered  inopperable by my switching to linelink.

I WAS NOT TOLD THAT THE PROCESS WAS NOT IRVERSEABLE

I WAS TOLD THAT THE LINELINK SUPPORTED ROBO/TELEMARKETINGHTTPS BLOCKING. IT DOES NOT.

I WAS TOLD THAT LINELINK SUPPORTED CALL WAITING CALLER ID.  IT DOES NOT.

My second line @home router was rendered inopperable by T-mobile canceling that phone number by accident.  While they restored the number I was told there is no recovery of my @home service.

I ordered a ooma device and it just works.  It does all the things the @home routers did (and Linelink failed so miserably at) and more.

• straphanger322

I just spent 50 minutes on the phone with T-Mobile with an obviously outsourced call center worker who clearly had no idea what she was doing.  I explained to her clearly multiple time I was calling in response to the letter and wanted to get the process going but she put me on hold multiple times to try and decipher the account memos.

They also couldn't get the transfer process straight.  She wanted to migrate my line to the LineLink device immediately, even though I didn't have it in hand.  I had to explain to her that my @home service still needs to function and that it would make more sense for me to call back once I have the actual LineLink device to perform the plan migration.

She finally agreed to send me the LineLink device for free, as stated in the letter, but said she had to charge me $7.61 for shipping, even though the letter clearly says the fee would be waived.  After some back and forth, it was finally agreed that she would have to charge that amount to my CC and then credit the amount to my T-Mo account.  Pretty stupid to go this route if the letter said everything with the migration would be free of charge to me since T-Mo was forcing me to switch from @home to LineLink.

All in all, a miserable process so far to get ousted from my @home service and migrate onto LineLink.  I'll expect more ridiculous issues to come up when I actually perform the formal plan migration.  T-Mo used to have stellar service but this was a definite -1 experience for me.

• chris13

Yep, welcome to the new, fast growing TMO, unfortunately.  I've been with TMO for 14 years and don't put up with someone that doesn't know what they are doing.  I'm nice (worked in a call center before), but ask them to either transfer me to the "loyalty dept" or I'll call back and try someone else.  Knock on wood, but seems to work every time.

Yes, I got charged a $6.99 shipping fee, as well, and the loyalty dept staffer immediately credited it to my account.  Again, fast growing pains where Marketing doesn't talk to Customer Service, who doesn't get respected by Management because someone in CS probably told them about this disconnect, who doesn't listen anyway...Ha.  Welcome to big corporate America. 

We'll see how it goes once I get the LineLink device and migrate the @Home device to it.  Fingers crossed!

• straphanger322

Well I'm glad I wasn't the only one that got charged the $6.99 plus tax shipping fee.  They should've made it clear that you would've been credited it back in the letter, not just the appearance that everything was free.

I'll have my fingers crossed too with the switch whenever I get the device.  Just pains me I have to call back again and deal with their lovely reps.  At least I'll be saving a whopping $1/month with this new plan.  I'm currently getting charged $15/month for @home and LineLink will bring it down to $13.99 (including the optional enhanced caller ID).

• bcxxiii

Unfortunately this is an ongoing problem with TMob now. Two days ago I was on a long drive and spent about an hour asking them why my Name CID not working and a supervisor eventually said I will have to pay $3.99 per line for my two LL phones which were working fine before they said "everything will work the same but better" and switched me over. They now say "I don't know why so many at TMob told me everything will be the same" but Name CID is extra. I said as a matter of principle I WILL NOT pay for that. The supervisor said he understands.
                                                                                            I feel cheated. I have to look for another provider for my landlines. Not because $8 a month is too much but they beguiled me and won't own up. I am very busy making ends meet so I will have to find some time to look for something else. I have four numbers with them, some for about 20 or more years and this is what they do to "loyal" customers. May be they treat new customers better because they want their business, but "loyal?" take a hike.

• chris13

Kind of amazing they didn't offer a long time customer some kind of resolution...like $3.99 for BOTH lines for CID.  You still may have said, "no", but worth a shot by them.  So, instead they will lose $16/mo when you switch, instead of $3.99....very dumb and why loyalty is overrated in most cases anymore...a shame.  Let us know where you land when you switch.

• bcxxiii

Something else to notice: When I dial if I pause more than may be two seconds to look at the number or something the "incorrect dial" beep will come and you will have to disconnect and start all over again. So elderly people cannot use LL for sure. The allowed default interval between digits is too short for those who take the time to dial each digit or try to look at their note to carefully dial.

• chris13

I got my LL device and switched over today.  I did have to call a couple times after setting up, so they could activate the SIM card and all seems to be working for now.  Once the SIM card is activated and you confirm a code to TMO, you may have to unplug LL and re-plug in and restart computer to get to work...it takes a few minutes.  The CS rep I spoke to saw it wasn't working after SIM/code and transferred me to Tech support, but while I was on hold for them, I restarted things, it worked, so I hung up.  Only thing I'll watch for now is I have the device pulling power from a USB port on my monitor and not sure how that will react over time.  If issues crop up, I may just plug into regular power outlet.

Had a call shortly after installing and didn't really notice much difference.  There were a couple times where the person I was talking with faded out for a second and came back, so who knows.  Also did a test voicemail and blue light on LL device blinks, but orange light on phone is not, so we'll see if that self corrects over time.  The LL device is small, so nice to get the big @Home router off the desk.  Good luck!

• straphanger322

I just finished setting up my LineLink device and tossed my @home router.  I called into T-Mo's technical support department and had them re-provision the SIM card on my home phone account to my new account.  Took a bit for the LineLink device to sync up but after 10 minutes, I had the blue light and was able to call out again.  My voicemail transferred over too so there wasn't much else to do.

I signed up for the $3.99/month CID, since that was a luxury I had with the @home service.  So after the bill credit, I'm paying a whopping $1.01/month less than I was with my @home service.  I'm pretty sure my next bill will have taxes and fees too but it'd be nice if T-Mo could get rid of them for LineLink too!

In regards to the voicemail, I left a test message for myself and saw the same behavior where the blue light was blinking but my cordless phone system didn't detect a voicemail.  I checked the dial-tone and there was the usual stutter in the beginning so that's still the same.  I'll see if this works itself out over time as well.

• straphanger322

I also noticed my phone rings slower than it used to before with @home.  Not quite sure why though.

• chris13

Yep, the first ring is normal and then there is a pause before the second and then it continues to ring normally.  Very weird.  Also, notice the brief interruptions here and there, but that could be Comcast.  I will reset my router.  Finally, I think someone called in while I was on the phone and no number popped up for me to see, just made the call waiting sound, and honestly didn't know what to do since I didn't see anything.  Hopefully, this gets resolved as it will be a pain if the number (not name) doesn't show on basic call waiting like it did for the @Home system.  If this doesn't get fixed, that will be a major strike (for me) with the new LL and I will be searching out alternatives.

I can't believe TMO promotes LL as better than @Home at this point.

• chris13

Well, after a few weeks of using the new LineLink service, it really isn't that great, and certainly not better than the soon to be discontinued @Home service.  My caller id (number) service does not work for call waiting like it did with @Home, so I have no idea who is calling me if I'm on the line with someone else.  I've called twice to inquire about this and the first time I don't believe the rep really knew what they were talking about or my issue.  This was confirmed in my second call (1st rep never called me back, as promised), as the new rep told me there were no records on my account of the prior tech call...not surprised.  This rep was very helpful and said there were some settings on my account that were set up wrong, whatever that means.  The rep went behind the curtain and sent to tech heaven and said they'd call me back with final resolution.  Waiting patiently...

Also, none of the voicemail notifications work now on my vtech phone.  I do get the tiny blue light on the LL device if there is a message, but you literally have to be on top of the device to see it, whereas, my phone used to show a large, blinking, orange light and "New Voicemail" wording on the phone display.  Not sure why this disappeared and I pulled out the phone manual to see if any assistance and...it tells you how to turn OFF the notifications, but not ON.  I'm using the vtech phone recommended by TMO when I signed up for @Home 6-7 years ago.  Go figure.

So, at this point a big for LL as I'm paying the same $$ for less features, despite the nice little letter TMO sent everyone on @Home stating they need to switch to LL before end of March and things would be the same.

• wayneseltzer

I now have Caller Name ID working on my LineLink lines. But, I have to pay for this option -- $10 per month per line.
                                                                                                              (It was free with @Home.) Not happy with that change!

Caller ID number and name displays on my phones, but my Zoom USB Modem, model 3065 doesn't get the Caller ID data.  Not sure what the LineLink hardware got wrong to break this.
                                                                                                              Anyone know of a solution?

I'm not happy with the change from @Home to LineLink.

Paying more for less. Maybe TMO will fix all this? Maybe not...

Looking for VoIP solutions with better value, such as:
                                                                                                              - OBiTALK - Google Voice

- Ooma VoIP Phone for Home & Business

• straphanger322

My voicemail seems to be working fine now on my Panasonic cordless system.  Came home today and saw a voicemail message and the orange light on top was blinking.  The biggest issue so far for me is the slowness of the ringing when someone calls.  Definitely not as fast as with @home or with a regular copper line.

• pchevallier

Yes, I'm currently and actively using the TMOLinelink.

You are correct, not many tech support know about this product. It's pretty new to them.  After many calls and discussions, I've become 'friends" with them. Great guys though unable to do much. Their hands are tied. 

So, I love that it is cheap, gives me access to US/Canada and Mexico for a flat fee ($20/mo) and to 70 countries for an additional $15/mo but it comes with 2 major issues:

1 - It randomly drops calls within 60 minutes of conversation, outgoing calls only though.

2 - from time to time, the line becomes silent for several seconds. Then it resumes. Very strange feeling.

I've filed numerous tickets with engineering to try to get this fixed without success. They shipped ,e a new unit suspecting I broke the one I had!, but still the same. 

Lately I got a bit frustrated, one rainy Saturday, I decided to roll up my sleeves and put my engineering hat. (I am a telco engineer with two decades of R&D experience in this industry) After some quick analysis, I made some disturbing technical discoveries which I am not prepared to share on this forum. (Not sure T-Mobile would like me to disclose confidential information publicly and hurt their business)

At a high level it goes back to the old adage: "you get what you pay for". It's cheap, but at the expense of quality of service and explains all the missing features you used to have on the former network.  Consider yourself warned

Since this is my line of consulting business, I'm offered my service to T-Mobile as a telco consultant and help them stabilize their network with some highly needed fine tunings and basic features. I'm sure they know there are other solutions highly competitive out there right now, and they might not be able to stay in business with this product if they don't take the necessary approach. 

• chris13

Thanks for the info, pch.  That would be great if they took you up on your consulting offer...good luck.

As for the LL, I have your #2 issue sometimes and fortunately your #1 issue only once or twice.  I use for only US domestic calls, however and with discounts pay less than $10/mo, so I keep for a second/office line as cell service in my neighborhood is not very good for any carrier.  It's working just good enough for me to stay, but I've seriously considered Ooma or others the last couple of months.

Anyway, agreed, their tech/engineering team has been very helpful...as much as they can.  I've had issues with my call waiting, caller/number id not working and it seems to be quasi fixed.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, which is really weird.  I also can't get my voicemail light on the phone to blink, but that's minor.  I'm thinking I might try and use the phone VM, instead of the LL VM, but haven't looked into how to do that, yet.

A couple questions, if you don't mind, since you are experienced...

1.  Do you think a DSL filter would help with anything?  I've read it may help the call waiting/caller id issue.

2.  Would performance improve if I plugged the LL into it's own router and then that router into my Comcast, kinda like before with @Home, and then did a "bridge" with that setup?

Hopefully, TMO can add a few enhancements that would make this a no-brainer to keep, but I'm guessing it's a tiny fraction of their overall business, so resources dedicated to LL are probably small.

• pchevallier

Thanks Chris13

Turns out, Kevin (Customer Support @TMO) just called me today to follow up and iterate the same response from TMO engineering; No Trouble Found (NTF). They keep insisting this is coming from my (our) ISP, yet are not understanding that the call drop only occurs on an outbound call. No inbounds.

Despite the fact they are trying to blame on others (finger pointing technique), and as a result I've switched my connection to point to their own network (LTE) and the same disappointing results! Good luck blaming on your own ISP now!

Anyways, irrespective of network performance issues, just know that VoIP is a very resilient technology when properly rolled out. (CISCO has successfully demonstrated it for the past 15 years now)

To your questions:

1.  Do you think a DSL filter would help with anything?  I've read it may help the call waiting/caller id issue.

I do not think DSL filter would help. The traces I am seeing are not suggesting any network issues between our router and the ISP. Packet networks are highly resilient to noises.

2.  Would performance improve if I plugged the LL into it's own router and then that router into my Comcast, kinda like before with @Home, and then did a "bridge" with that setup?

I don't think so. Here again, this is not related to your router or your ISP.

Totally agree with this side of the business that is tiny compared to cell phone. However, the cell phone market is now highly saturated and they need to look for new business opportunities. That is part of their strategy to attract of retain existing customers with new features which were until then, not available; High Quality phone calls, then video calls should naturally follow this route that will offer services that compete against Apple (FaceTime), FaceBook (Messenger) and Microsoft (Skype).

It's all converging right now on the same packet technology.

In other words, even if it's tiny, I am convinced this is a very strategic move for TMO and they certainly don't want to screw up their early adopters.

Let's keep pushing !

• chris13

Awesome, pch, thanks for the info. (Hope you don't mind me shortening your UN )

Yeah, I kinda got the "it may be your phone", "it may be your ISP", but I was prepared for the first one, as I had tried multiple phones and all acted the exact same.  They did more research and called back and when they had called back I said, the call waiting caller id was now working, which it was.  A day later, it went funky and stopped, but now works on and off.  I'll just wait it out for a bit longer and see what happens.

Thanks for answering my questions, it was worth a shot for a novice to ask.  Oh well...

You make a great point/argument in your last paragraph, especially as most people are now just dumping their home phone lines, but if they had a cheaper, high quality alternative, TMO could pick more of that up.  Agree on the cell phone saturation.  We can't really go without a home phone line where we live as service with all of the carriers is sporadic.  Plus, I'm a bit old school and you still can't beat the clarity of a "landline".

I'm with ya!

• bcxxiii

Last time when I talked with a "knowledgeable" supervisor more than a month ago he tried to explain to me why some calls show name ID and most don't. He said it is a cellular setup thing and it is due to how the CALLER'S system is setup and not a fault of TMob. I said ALL my callers' Name ID were working and now ONLY a couple of known callers' names are showing up and rest of them are all only numbers, he 'made me understand' that it is because of the way the callers' systems are setup. I said the callers did not change anything from how they had it setup before I changed to LL, he still said it was the callers systems. Finally I understood it (just to disconnect the call so that I can carry on with my life) but the gist of it is if I pay $5 per line I will get all the names which as a matter of principle I am NOT going to pay because they duped me. One lady even did some research (while putting me on hold) and told me that they did not advertise anywhere that caller name will be available with LL as it was with @Home. Oh yeah, when they say "everything will be the same but better" I was to know that some things won't be. If I were clearly told what will NOT carry on from @Home I wouldn't have felt duped. If they were truthful with their persuasion to switch to LL I wouldn't have felt so bad with this change. I am still not decided what to do.