fls'zen

I've asked this before, but haven't really had it answered. I can't access IPv6 internet resources on my iPhone 6, such as http://ipv6.whatismyv6.com/, which I can access from an iPhone 6 on Verizon's network, or from any other IPv6-enabled network such as Comcast.

Based on the answers I've seen in other discussions, it sounds like there is currently no IPv6 support for iOS devices. Does T-Mobile have any plans to allow iOS customers to access all of the internet at some point?

All replies

• theartiszan

Re: No IPv6 Access?

What do you mean by all of the internet? Everything should still work even though you are on a ipv4 connection. There are translation protocols in place to allow connections to be backward compatible through ipv4 connections.

• tidbits

I thought the iPhone was all IPv6 by default.  Are you in an LTE area?

• fls'zen

Thanks for the replies!

By "all" I mean access to both IPv4 and IPv6 resources. So far, I haven't been able to access IPv6 resources such as http://ipv6.whatismyv6.com, either by its DNS name or by its public address (http://[2001:4810::110]). I'm assuming my iPhone isn't an outlier here.

I'm definitely in an LTE area. From what I've read, only Android (4.4+) and Windows Phones are IPv6-only and use 464XLAT+NAT64+DNS64 to access IPv4.

In summary, T-Mobile, facing serious IPv4 exhaustion problems, participated in creating the 464XLAT (RFC 6877) standard for IPv4 access over IPv6-only networks. (Refer to this slide deck for details about their implementation.) One of the main reasons for 464XLAT is to allow apps, such as Spotify, WhatsApp, and Skype (mentioned in the slide deck), which use IPv4-only API calls to continue to work on IPv6-only networks. For this functionality to work, the client needs to have a CLAT implementation, which Android and Windows Phone have. As of a year ago, it didn't sound like Apple was going to implement this anytime soon (based on what their engineer says here). Apple solved the same "old IPv4-only API calls" problem in iOS 9+ in their own way by requiring apps to stop using them so they would work properly on IPv6-only networks with NAT64/DNS64 (no 464XLAT) when accessing IPv4 resources.

I wasn't able to find any more recent information than that last link, which is from about a year ago. So, keeping all that in mind, it looks like T-Mobile and Apple are at loggerheads. T-Mobile appears to be continuing to provision iOS devices with IPv4 addresses only (one of their big pain points from the slide deck) and I assume hoping that Apple will go ahead and implement the CLAT. On the other side, Apple is the 800-pound gorilla who dictated that developers update their apps to be IPv6 compatible without 464XLAT, something T-Mobile couldn't really tell Spotify et. al. to do. Perhaps there are ongoing discussions between the companies to resolve this, but perhaps not. I'm hoping that someone with more insight into this can follow-up here as I haven't had any luck through other channels.

The possible solutions to the problem that I can imagine are:

• T-Mobile provisions iOS >= 9 devices as IPv6-only and uses their existing NAT64/DNS64 implementation for IPv4 access since 464XLAT isn't necessary with IPv6-compatible apps. (I imagine they can use their existing IPv6 implementation without 464XLAT easily, but this is a big assumption.)
            • Apple implements 464XLAT for T-Mobile (and I think a handful of small foreign carriers), allowing their customers with carriers who have IPv6-only 464XLAT implementations to provision the updated devices as IPv6-only. (This seems unlikely to happen since Apple generally doesn't do what other companies want it to.)
            • T-Mobile provisions iOS devices as dual-stack until such time as Apple implements 464XLAT or (lol) IPv4 can be turned off. They wouldn't be removing their IPv4 pain point, but they would also be moving more traffic onto IPv6 and allowing their iOS customers to access the IPv6 resources.

The first option makes the most sense to me.

I hope someone with more recent information that what I have can weigh in on this matter. It would be good to be able to access all of the internet at some point soon.

• sigmapifsc

I had this problem in December.  It was escalated.  T-mobile first told me the problem was with Apple.  Then they said the problem was with MarketCircle's product "Daylite" (that is the CRM software our company uses for client and calendar services). 

After almost a month, I escalated this issue with Apple, Marketcircle, and T-Mobile.  At the end, we discoverd that the problem was with the IPv6 settings that T-mobile uses.   Because Apple prevents users from making changes to those settings, we had to wait for T-mobile to

1: make the change to the settings

2: release their next carrier update.

It took a few carrier updates before it fixed it.  But, Yeah!!!! It fixed it.

Sadly, yesterday, I finally did an upgrade to IOS 10.3.1  After the update, I did the test, and it broke it again.  I called T-mobile, and they have started a new ticket, and referenced my old ticket.  It's clear that T-mobile does not like that Apple prevents users from making changes.  But, I'm not sure what the big deal is for T-mobile to allow the use of IPv6 traffic.  Why do we need to do this dance again?

If it does not get fixed in the next couple of weeks, we will have to mandate to all employees in our company that they can no longer use T-mobile.  I'm not protesting, but our businesses runs on Daylite, and our employees using Verizon have no problem with it, but T-mobile employees are currently cut off.

One T-mobile rep suggested, I use an Android to fix the problem.  He was kind of joking, but come on.   T-mobile, just either allow the IPv6 traffic, or explain why you can't so we can make the business decision to change carriers.

Personally, I love T-mobile, but our company is not going to change it's CRM system, so this would be the deal breaker and force us back to AT&T.

I hope my note is helpful to the conversation internally.  Really, I'd just love to get this fixed sooner rather than later.

• tidbits

T-Mobile does allow IPv6 traffic.  If it didn't why have IPv6 default for everything they have right now?  Something to thing about.  I don't know where you get the idea that T-Mobile doesn't want IPv6 traffic.

• sigmapifsc

Hi Tidbits,

Thanks for the note.  I got the idea it was an IPv6 problem from T-mobile.   I'm simply reporting what tech support told me.  Maybe they got it backwards?  Perhaps its IPv4 that they need to let access through.

I know I know.....  it could be the software (App), it could be Apple.   I've done this dance.   However, in my testing, on 3 different phones, I swapped SIM cards from my T-mobile, my wife T-mobile, and 2 separate Verizon and 1 AT&T SIM cards.  The software reaches the server on Verizon's network, AT&T's network, but both T-mobile SIM's, and the error message appears.  

After about 2 months of troubleshooting (November and December)  and escalating at Apple, Market Circle and T-mobile, each company blaming the others,  T-Mobile said, it was a problem with the IPv6 setting and that because Apple does not allow user access to those settings, that I needed to wait until a carrier update for the fix to take place.  And what ever they did to the carrier settings fixed the problem in Feburary.  

I was a happy camper, until yesterday when I ran the update of IOS and now it was back to the same old problem.    Perhaps it was something else that t-mobile changed.  I just hope they fix it again.  It's a bit frustrating.  The guy from support today said that I should just buy an Andoid to fix the problem.  He was half joking.  I get the joke, but you know...  it's still kind of frustrating.

Thx again for your thoughts.

• tidbits

sigmapifsc wrote:

Hi Tidbits,

Thanks for the note. I got the idea it was an IPv6 problem from T-mobile. I'm simply reporting what tech support told me. Maybe they got it backwards? Perhaps its IPv4 that they need to let access through.

I know I know..... it could be the software (App), it could be Apple. I've done this dance. However, in my testing, on 3 different phones, I swapped SIM cards from my T-mobile, my wife T-mobile, and 2 separate Verizon and 1 AT&T SIM cards. The software reaches the server on Verizon's network, AT&T's network, but both T-mobile SIM's, and the error message appears.

After about 2 months of troubleshooting (November and December) and escalating at Apple, Market Circle and T-mobile, each company blaming the others, T-Mobile said, it was a problem with the IPv6 setting and that because Apple does not allow user access to those settings, that I needed to wait until a carrier update for the fix to take place. And what ever they did to the carrier settings fixed the problem in Feburary.

I was a happy camper, until yesterday when I ran the update of IOS and now it was back to the same old problem. Perhaps it was something else that t-mobile changed. I just hope they fix it again. It's a bit frustrating. The guy from support today said that I should just buy an Andoid to fix the problem. He was half joking. I get the joke, but you know... it's still kind of frustrating.

Thx again for your thoughts.

You ran an update from Apple which they completely control and it's T-Mobiles doesn't want IPv6 access?  That's what I am trying to understand.  Apple controls almost every aspect of the phone, and people have said other OEM's should follow suite.

Here's the problem with the assumption you make about T-Mobile changing something.  How does that happen when Apple supposedly only be able to touch their own code, and Force carriers to comply with their standards in order to sell their phone?(Carriers around the world have pointed this out)

You also have to consider millions of users have access and do everything under IPv6.  The 4 devices I have that are setup IPv6 has no trouble, and I can try the iPhone later as soon as my wife comes home to see if it is just the iPhone.  Something tells me it is something Apple has done more than T-Mobile has done.

added: wife just came home and the iPhone 7+ most recent update, and it works just fine with all the examples you have shown.

• sigmapifsc

Well, I can only report what T-Mobile support told me.

But, I think the support rep may have it wrong.  Or rather backwards... I've been on the phone and web trying to troubleshoot this all over again.   I think the problem is not with IPv6, but rather with IPv4.

I've learned that the software that our company is using ( Daylite self-serve server which is made by MarketCircle)  is ONLY IPv4 comparable.

So, in Feburary, when my ticket was escalated at T-mobile, and they told me they had to enable the IPv6 in the next carrier update, they probably meant IPv4.

Anyway, their next carrier update, fixed the problem.  I've not updated my iphone since.  Until a few days ago.

I totally know what you mean...  I did an update with Apple and the network connection stopped working.  How is that T-mobile's fault?  I have no clue.  What I do know is that when I put in an AT&T or Verizon SIM and try to connect using their network, it works.  but with T-mobile it does not.

I can only suspect that something is either blocked or not configured properly in the settings to work over their network for IPv4 traffic.

In an ideal world, Apple would allow user access to change the network settings.  Urggg...  I can't even downgrade.  Apple prevents that.

I'm a very long time apple fan, early adopter, but in the past 5 years, Apple has been slowly going down hill (IMHO)  very frustrating.

Either way, I believe that the only fix, is for T-mobile to do what they did before to the carrier settings, which fixed the problem.

Oh...  just for kicks, maybe you can test something for me.  This is strange... but ironically, the website for company who makes the software, also will NOT connect from my phone using T-mobile's network (www.marketcircle.com)  it works over wifi, and it worked after their last fix.  So, I don't know if it's related, but both this time and last time, when the software would not work, neither would their company website.  Very strange...

• sigmapifsc

Just a quick addition.

A test of the IP Address using "Net Analyzer"  shows that when I pin the computer (it lives in our office)  using the T-mobile network, it only shows an IPv6 address (Our software is only compatible with IPv4).

When I turn on wifi on my phone and run the same Ping, it shows both the IPv6 and IPv4 addresses.

So, I'm guessing that something in the T-mobile network settings needs to turn on the IPv4 support.  I just wish I could do it...

• sigmapifsc

One more piece of interesting information:

T-Mobile support, kind of made it a point to say this is all because Apple will not allow Users access to the APN settings.

However, this support ticket from Apple, clearly shows that it is up the Carrier to allow or not allow access to the APN settings

View and edit your Access Point Name (APN) on your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

Just an interesting addition here...

• tidbits

sigmapifsc wrote:

One more piece of interesting information:

T-Mobile support, kind of made it a point to say this is all because Apple will not allow Users access to the APN settings.

However, this support ticket from Apple, clearly shows that it is up the Carrier to allow or not allow access to the APN settings

View and edit your Access Point Name (APN) on your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

Just an interesting addition here...

That's only their unlocked ones.  Outside of that no matter where in the world you can't modify the APN unless the device is unlocked.  Apple has it setup that way. 

Think about it why would you need the change the APN if it is locked to specific carrier?  Apple could allow what a lot of other devices do and allow you to at least make your own if you can't modify the original

• stevetjr

Apple used to allow the APN to be updated on all of their devices but it was with IOS 8 update if I remember correct that they locked it.  I remember because it was a big issue for some people roaming internationally in countries that still only had IPv4 infrastructure and the trick was to go change the IPv status and the fast to epc t-mobile to solve the problem.  A pilot friend of mine who had switched to TMO just for the international roaming and was an Apple fanatic even switched to Android because of that stunt by Apple.

• tidbits

sigmapifsc wrote:

Well, I can only report what T-Mobile support told me.

But, I think the support rep may have it wrong. Or rather backwards... I've been on the phone and web trying to troubleshoot this all over again. I think the problem is not with IPv6, but rather with IPv4.

I've learned that the software that our company is using ( Daylite self-serve server which is made by MarketCircle) is ONLY IPv4 comparable.

So, in Feburary, when my ticket was escalated at T-mobile, and they told me they had to enable the IPv6 in the next carrier update, they probably meant IPv4.

Anyway, their next carrier update, fixed the problem. I've not updated my iphone since. Until a few days ago.

I totally know what you mean... I did an update with Apple and the network connection stopped working. How is that T-mobile's fault? I have no clue. What I do know is that when I put in an AT&T or Verizon SIM and try to connect using their network, it works. but with T-mobile it does not.

I can only suspect that something is either blocked or not configured properly in the settings to work over their network for IPv4 traffic.

In an ideal world, Apple would allow user access to change the network settings. Urggg... I can't even downgrade. Apple prevents that.

I'm a very long time apple fan, early adopter, but in the past 5 years, Apple has been slowly going down hill (IMHO) very frustrating.

Either way, I believe that the only fix, is for T-mobile to do what they did before to the carrier settings, which fixed the problem.

Oh... just for kicks, maybe you can test something for me. This is strange... but ironically, the website for company who makes the software, also will NOT connect from my phone using T-mobile's network (www.marketcircle.com) it works over wifi, and it worked after their last fix. So, I don't know if it's related, but both this time and last time, when the software would not work, neither would their company website. Very strange...

I will check it out when my wife comes home from work and I will let you know my findings.

• tidbits

wanted to add.  I can't see it being an IPv4 issue.  If it was then it would be a lot more websites would be having more trouble.  I believe the last statistic was the internet still had 85% of it's destination still only support IPv4.  T-Mobile having millions of subscribers on Android and iOS using IPb6 only we would see a much larger issue if you know what I mean