cmartin240

I recently contacted Sony customer support about the Marshmallow release for the Xperia Z3 since it is posted all over the manufacturers website that the phone received the update.  Obviously they are referring to the international version of the phone since the USA T-Mobile spec phone didn't receive it.  I asked Sony if they had any information on the release for the US spec phone:

"

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Sony Xperia™ Online Support.

In regards to your inquiry, we understand that you would like to have information in regards ot the release of Android™ Marshmallow on the T-Mobile variant of your Xperia™ Z3 (D6616) and I'll be glad to assist you. However, I am sorry to inform you that we don't have vast information on the software of this particular device as it contains a modified version for T-Mobile.

In this case, the best we can recommend is to contact T-Mobile directly for the possibility of more information. We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause you though.

As part of Sony Mobile's commitment to excellent customer service, we offer a wide variety of mobile products to suit your lifestyle. If you require more information, or have any other questions, please visit www.sonymobile.com or call us at 1-866-766-9374.

Kind Regards,

Sony Xperia US Customer Services"

Based on that information it sounds like T-Mobile needs to get the ball rolling and give us some answers on this release.  If it is already out there for the international version, how much more effort could it possibly take to make it work on the T-Mobile edition.  Please let us know if there is any discussion on supporting this phone past Lollipop.

All replies

• stevetjr

Re: Marshmallow for Z3

There are discussions all over this forum regarding MM for the Z3.  T-Mobile other than testing has nothing to do with Android updates and all the programming is done by the manufacturer.  Sony pulled out of the US market and left the T-Mobile and Verizon (the only 2 US carriers that carried the Z3) versions without the update so it is not just T-Mobile but also Verizon customers that got left out of MM.

Sony is just passing the buck and the low level rep probably doesn't even know that the manufacturer is the only one that does the custom modifications to the OS that most us carrier devices require to be 100% functional on their networks.

• cmartin240

Yes I have read the entire string started by gocow125 that you made multiple posts in.  I would like an answer from a T-Mobile employee in response to the Sony employee.  Thank you for your input. 

• stevetjr

The only answer you will get from them was said on the other posts which is

to check the update website and they don't see any pending updates for it.

I would be glad to see them throw Sony under the bus but thanks to to many

lawyers on this planet that will sue for anything I doubt they will cross

the line. It's one of the benefits of this being a user support forum

because we are not T-Mobile employees so we can offer opinions, facts,

tricks and advice they never would be allowed to. While I have an S7 on MM

I have a Z3 also and would live to have MM on it although it works fine on

LP but have resigned myself to the fact that Sony has scr**ed us US Z3

owners and have lost my future business.

You can try John Legere on Twitter or FB and see if he will say but I

highly doubt you will get the answer you want here.

• kevlarheart42

Both TMO and Sony should be ashamed for their treatment of D6616 owners. Face it, the phone was orphaned as soon as TMO pulled it from sales. Customers were thrown a bone with an update to Lollipop, albeit a version 5.0.2 which was not the final release of the OS. My D6616 is a backup phone purchased at an extreme discount precisely because neither TMO nor Sony will directly address customer concerns. For those who shelled out $600+ for the TMO branded phone, you are getting shabby treatment to say the least.

For TMO apologists, the carrier and the carrier alone certifies functionality, given the various bells and whistles TMO added to the device (VoLTE, WiFi calling to name a couple). Sony is not innocent here as they could and SHOULD provide a way to migrate the phone away from the TMO variant to the International version D6603. Neither party has an incentive to providing support because the handset is already reached the end of the product cycle (not life cyle....but product marketing). The Z3 is yesterday's news.

You know what would be refreshing? A simple statement that NO FURTHER OS UPDATES for the D6616 will be issued. The handset is already 2+ years in the market, so maybe it's about time both parties own up to the obvious.

The lesson to be learned here is that unless you're getting an iPhone or a Samsung, don't count on carriers to provide support through the EOL for the product. I brought another Sony to TMO when I switched, the Z3 Compact (D5803). I knew from the beginning that aside from service, I would not have certain TMO-specific  capabilities. That's a small trade off compared to having the device ignored when the carrier/handset mfr relationship sours.

Sorry for the rant, but reading the various threads on TMO and Sony Community pages is mind-numbing in the non-statements offered about the status of the D6616.

• tidbits

Sony is defocusing on the US market. They pulled their store front, and delegated it to 3rd party only. In their focused market they laid off 1,000 employees in their mobile division. They stripped features fr their flagships for the US market.

I don't think Sony is making an update for T-Mobile.

• stevetjr

You keep saying T-Mobile should resolve this but Sony not only did this to

T-Mobile but also Verizon customers with their Z3v and Verizon is the

largest carrier in the US.

As you said T-Mobile just certifies the updates, if Sony won't do the

programming there is nothing for T-Mobile to certify.

• kevlarheart42

For a company that markets itself as the UN-carrier, TMO is acting  remarkably the same as the others as far as going the extra mile for its customers. They are in effect a systems integrator with Sony providing the device and TMO the service. Years ago I worked for an automation systems integrator. When a robot supplier changed or discontinued a model in our welding system, we didn't tell our customers...so sorry, you'll have to bring that up with XYZ - it's their device. We made sure the system worked and was maintained and then provided the customer with alternatives moving forward. One could say that by providing an entry level version of Lollipop (5.0.2, which exists nowhere else to my knowledge), T-mobile made an attempt at mollifying its D6616 customers. I would be curious to know who did the 5.0.2 development -- T-mobile or Sony.

A little honesty and less bluster would go a long way here. That goes for both Sony and T-mobile.

....and yes I DO keep saying that T-mobile should be doing more. I'm their customer. Be the UN-carrier and explain why the device is dead as far as the carrier and Sony are concerned. Hey it works great in 5.0.2, but it's capable of running MM. I've taken the soapbox to Sony as well believe me. They could provide a means of migrating to the International version  (D6603), letting customers know that they would lose some of the T-mobile features. With Sony having released the Z5 and now the XA, I know my plea will fall on deaf ears.

• e2k

kevlarheart42 wrote:

They could provide a means of migrating to the International version  (D6603), letting customers know that they would lose some of the T-mobile features.

I don't think any carrier has ever offered its customers the option of flashing an international version of a ROM (or one slightly modded to use the hardware variant) to a carrier branded device. That's just not how the industry works. In some cases, it might be possible to flash such a ROM, but it would never be officially mentioned or supported.

kevlarheart42 wrote:

I would be curious to know who did the 5.0.2 development -- T-mobile or Sony.

Manufacturers always do the development work. Carriers just test.

kevlarheart42 wrote:

A little honesty and less bluster would go a long way here. That goes for both Sony and T-mobile.

Agreed, but it's not really a matter of honesty, its a matter of disclosure. Carriers and manufacturers just don't tell customers "there will be no more updates for device X." Developers are bound by NDA's and carrier keep their mouths shut because they don't want to get sued (as has happened before).

Personally, I'd hedge my bets on there being no more updates for the Z3.

• tidbits

The difference carriers don't control the software or the hardware like you think they do. Manufacturers do. You can blame T-Mobile for whatever you want and that's why our device support is lackluster. At least Europeans blame the manufacturer. Yes they have contracts and yes there are carrier bloat and testing as well. Look who gets better support not to mention they pay more than we do for devices.

• kevlarheart42

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. My last job was developing camera phone image quality standards. Lots of contact with carriers, component suppliers and handset manufacturers. The USA model of carrier subsidies has always been broken as far as getting carriers intertwined with handset vendors. The USA model lures customers with a "free" phone supported by an onerous service contract. That model got customers in the door. The world model where you buy the device and service separately lets each entity do what they do best. Devices cost more sure, but devices get to market faster and have support from the party that should be supporting it.

I guess my frustration is based on experience of carriers abandoning devices in mid-stream. Somewhere else I posted that I had a similar experience with the Samsung Infuse and AT&T...so the T-mobile/Sony situation with the Z3 (D6616) is far from unique. In that instance AT&T REALLY pushed the Infuse and bundled all sorts of accessories (dock, mobile mount etc) only to stop supporting software upgrades with zero explanation or recourse.

I feel kind of ridiculous flogging this dead horse. My D6616 was purchased at an extreme discount based on the fact that the poor little phone was an orphan. It's a shame too, with 32GB internal memory and a great screen, the Z3 (D6616) is a pretty cool handset. My hackles were raised when both Sony and T-mobile pretended not to notice that a prime handset would be left behind. The non-answers from both parties is practically Orwellian in nature.

I'll wait and see....and never buy a carrier-branded handset again unless it's capable of being unlocked and upgraded.

• tidbits

Its not T-Mobile job to support devices. They have no legal bearing to touch the code. Every lawsuit since 2009 against carriers has fallen flat by the courts on the simple reasoning. They have no control over the code. Carriers have no idea what manufacturers are doing and what they plan in the future. The carrier branding is nothing more than a marker to show consumers that it'll work on this carrier without having to go through researching things like what spectrum, does this feature work, does it have GSM or CDMA, and things like that.

Carriers would rather not sell devices. The only reasons why they do is because of consumer expectations. Do you know how much money they'd save if they didn't sell devices? Carriers make practically no more than $30 off a device if that at full retail cost. They actually take a loss as the devices get older. There was a court case a while back I don't think I can find the article where they had documentation showing that the iPhone for example only made carriers $8 per iPhone. When you factor in subsidiaries they take an initial loss and at the end of the contract it was $8. Courts ruled ETF were justified, and must have diminishing returns(which wasn't at the time).

I have owned every Z series phone from Sony. They are slow when it comes to releasing phones in the US. They are slow releasing updates for their devices. They are slow to even support their products(see Xperia care). I imported a Z5 Premium and sold it 2 months. I told myself after all the devices I bought from Sony that was it. Not going to buy another Sony phone. They wonder why their sales are bad in the US, and are removing focus in the US. The reason is they spend up to 8 months(Z Ultra) releasing a product and have a 6 month device cycle. People import from some other country which bolsters their numbers instead. Just look how long the Z5 was out and how long it took to show up in the US market and without a fingerprint scanner. They never had focus in the US market anyway.

Z5 release date September 2015

In the US without fingerprint February 2016

• e2k

kevlarheart42 wrote:

You know what would be refreshing? A simple statement that NO FURTHER OS UPDATES for the D6616 will be issued. The handset is already 2+ years in the market, so maybe it's about time both parties own up to the obvious.

Yes, that would be refreshing, but it's just not how things work. In fact, T-Mobile is more forthcoming than any other carrier I know of insomuch that they disclose which updates are in progress. Most carriers are completely silent regarding updates. However, even T-Mobile will never say if/when an update will be released until they contract with a manufacturer to develop one.

My S3 is over 4 years old, and T-Mobile isn't telling me whether I'll receive an update. However, given that the development life cycle is typically 1.5-2 years, I think a safe bet would be "no."

• tmo_mike_c

Hi cmartin240 and thanks for posting.

We don't have info about this phone getting any other updates. Sorry if that's not the answer you were looking for. Just like our other devices, the Z3's homepage will have the latest info we have about software.