How often do I have to refill a prepaid plan to keep the number and SIM alive?

libove

I keep a T-Mobile USA Prepaid SIM for my occasional visits to the US. How often do I have to refill this account to keep the SIM and phone number alive, even if I'm not using it at all during several months? Once every month? .. 3 months? 6? year?

thanks.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Funds expire 90 days after being deposited.

Account expires 90 days after funds are empty.

The best thing I suggest to people is to deposit $10 every 89 days and go on the $3/mo plan.  That's the sure fire way to guarantee nothing happens to it.  If you do the "funds are empty" route, things get messy because it means you have 60 days after that month completed if you had exactly $3 in your account (e.g. funds ended Jan 1 even though the month ended Jan 30, so the account would expire Mar 30 [assuming 30 day months])

Also, understand that a "month" for prepaid IS 30 days.  So, you need to take this into account with your timings.

• libove

Hi smplyunprdctble

That's how I've been doing it (I think), and I wanted to be sure that T-Mobile haven't changed the rules.

Thing is, in the fine print (referred by jfuente11 in the following post), I don't see the "90", and the "120" which jfuente11 points out does not seem to apply to Pay As You Go but rather to Simple Choice Prepaid.

Can we find clear text supporting the $10-every-89-days idea, or get a binding statement from a T-Mobile person to agree with it? (Most likely, it is not possible to get binding answers here, so, back to searching for comprehensible "fine print").

Thanks everyone!

• jfuente11

Bottom part of page Pay in Advance (Prepaid) plans

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • libove

I think this is the test to which you're referring:

Simply Prepaid and Pay In Advance Simple Choice North America Monthly Service: Features available until 30th day; if sufficient balance, services automatically renew at expiration. If balance is insufficient to renew for 120 days, account will be suspended for 30 days. If you have a balance, your plan will convert to Pay As You Go for 30-day increments with $3/mo. for 30 voice min./SMS messages. After your balance is depleted, then account is suspended. Pay As You Go:Service available for 30 days after activation/refill/conversion; then account is suspended. If you have a balance, your plan will resume for 30 days with 30 voice min. or SMS messages. After this 30-day period, your account is suspended. If funds available, additional minutes/messages @ $0.10/minute or message.

It's not super-readable.

Since I'm using Pay As You Go, I don't see the 120-day thing, rather, 30 days after a refill, then when insufficient funds are available for refill a 30-days period during which any available funds .... actually, I totally can't figure out what this badly written text is trying to say.

So, concrete case:

I refilled ($3) on June 1, 2016. I made one call. Current balance is $2.53.

On July 1, 2016 (give or take a day), it will be time to re-fill .. but there is not sufficient balance. So, I think, according to the illiterate person who wrote the fine print above, "the account is suspended". But since some funds are available, it could be used at $.10/min or $1.0/message until funds are fully exhausted.

But, when would the phone number actually be LOST so that I'd need to re-fill a bit before that time?

Should be a simple question. T-Mobile's "Simple" makes it complicated :-(

• matureox

The best way is plug in your T-mobile sim card and dial #225# and it will tell you when the card will be expired.

then you just need to refill the basic to keep it active.

• jfuente11

It is not safe to log in through third party websites using your T-Mobile log ins. It might compromise your account's security.

• magenta1550993

The terms and conditions [un]clearly state;

Pay As You Go: Service available for 30 days after activation/refill/conversion; then account is suspended. If you have a balance, your plan will resume for 30 days with 30 voice min. or SMS messages. After this 30-day period, your account is suspended. If funds available, additional minutes/messages @ $0.10/minute or message.

translation; That is, I recharge on Jan 1, whereupon it is cancelled on Feb 1 (unless you recharged with MORE than $3.00 in which case you 'live another day' (1 month to be exact) and THEN it dies, on Mar 1 if no further credits occur. But this is only 2 months.

But contractually and practically this must NOT be true.

- Contractually because when I recharge, I get the option of 90 days (3 months) 'availability' for $70 and under, or 365 days (for $100).

- Practically because I recharged on 28/12 and again on 24/3 (my bad). Shouldn't the account have died on 28/2?

recharge screen.jpg

If 90 days credit is possible, and a 30 day 'discretionary' window exists, then I assume a recharge on Jan 1 should see you through until until  May 1??

Even T-mobile's tourist SIM gives you 90 days without worrying about your credit.

Does T-Mobile monitor this forum? Can they somehow mange to clarify what should be simplicity itself? Is it necessary that I waste my day explaining T-mobile's conditions back to them?

Here let me try for you T-Mobile; "Your service availability is the same as your recharge validity (in days). When your recharge term expires, you have a 30 day 'grace' period to recharge your account - unless your balance is zero, in which case your SIM is cancelled immediately."

YES or NO, T-Mobile?