Texts won't send.  Reoccurring problem.

perfetduck

I have an lgg4 and for the past month some of my texts will be on sending mode and eventually fail.  I retry multiple times but it won't work.  I have turned the phone off and on,  turned off and on airplane mode but out of nowhere the texts will  either send or get stuck in the chat with an annoying error message.  These are not media messages but simply word messages.

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Re: Texts won't send.  Reoccurring problem.

Thanks so much for reaching out!

Are you using the default SMS app? Do you have a large number of SMS saved on the device? We find failures and messages getting "stuck" tends to happen more often when there is an excess of messages on the device.

Thank you!

-Lauren

• tduemig

I am having the exact same problem. LG G4 randomly goes into a mode of not able to send txt's. Just says sending for several minutes until failed appears. I then retry multiple times until it goes through usually on 4th or 5th try. Signal is 4/5 or 5/5 bars when it happens.

• Try going to Settings - Apps - Messaging - tap Storage and then tap Clear Cache.  If no dice, do the same steps then tap Clear Data.

• doekna

I figured out one reason for texts not wenorking several years ago when i was dealing with an (ex) bf.  he was blocking some of the callers from being able to call me, he was changing the way i had my phone set up so some texters were blocked, at one point he changed the last number of the text message official phone number that is supposed to be left alone, thereby totally wiping out all text message ability, and at one point he got one of those computer software programs that is supposed to claim it is for keeping track of your kids, and what it did was to intercept all text messages, and if he decided he wanted me to recieve it, he would then send it on to me after he had a chance to read it, and even could change it.  there are a lot of reasons like this that calls and texts dont go through and you should keep track and review your settings every once in a while to monitor things like this.

• j3nnybangbang

Hey!  Did you ever get this fixed?  i am also having the same problem.  I cannot text to my bf phone, but i can receive his texts, he is on the tmobile network.  I can text other people on and off the tmobile network.  I checked my APN settings and they are all to the default network. 

• perfetduck

I installed the Google messenger app and it has helped but not completely

fixed the problem.

• tduemig

I installed Textra and changed it to be my default messaging app and not had a problem since. The stock app is the problem. I'm hunting around to see if I can find the APK for the LG G5 stock app to see if that works better.

• perfetduck

That's disappointing to know that the g5 has the same problem.  I will have

to look to upgrade else where.

• tduemig

yeah I noticed that while searching forums. Apparently G4 and G5 have same issues with stock app. tmo_lauren can we please have a support representative address this? There have been no replies since early last week.

• j3nnybangbang

i have the lg v10... lg issue?

• tduemig

yes, G4, G5 and V10 all have this problem with marshmallow. XDA forums confirm this as well as reports here. T-Mobile needs to make LG fix

• Never had issues with messaging on G2 or G4, on any OS version.  Must be a user thing.  Certainly not LG.

• tduemig

Stop trolling. If you're not having the problem great, I'm happy for you now move along. Don't insult people by saying its a user thing, especially without knowing the intelligence of the person on the other end. Have a nice day.

• tmo_lauren

Things are getting a little heated here towards the end of the thread! snn is one of our regular users and has a reputation of being immensely helpful, I don't think it was intended to be any sort of trolling or an insult, just possibly an indication that something else on the phone may be a factor since it's not a reported known issue.

That said, I can send this off to our LG contact and have them take a look.

Anticipating questions they'll ask me, can you try temporarily running the device without any third party apps to see if it's still having the same issue? Does this issue happen everywhere, or are there areas it seems to persist more or less?

Thanks!

• tduemig

The issue ONLY happens in the LG msg'ing app, and it doesn't matter if it's sms, or mms, nor whether wifi is enabled or not. My LG G4 is only 3 months old, in fact it's my second one. The first one I had, worked perfect pre-marshmallow with no send failures. My current LG G4, has minimal apps installed, has had marshmallow installed since day 1, cache has been cleared, both dalvik cache, and msg cache, including msg data. The only thing I can think of is at beginning of May, I chose to unlock the device via the t-mobile unlock app since I was travelling to Bermuda, and I have been having a problem pretty much since then, but it could be a red herring being that the device was only a month old at that point and no other changes were made. I have been using Textra as my default msg'ing client for almost a week now and have had 0 problems sending any type of msg, so to me, all signs point to the LG msg'ing app. Further research on other forums show others having the same issue and changing msg'ing apps fixed it.

Coincidentally, on my flight to and from Bermuda last week, gogo inflight was connected and my messages wouldn't go through, my wife was sitting next to me with her samsung note4 and had no issues. I opened a chat support in-flight and the support reset something on his side and it worked for allof 15 mins and then went into "sending" mode again.

As for snn, it was a pretty bold statement to make, and certainly wasn't helpful. My only hope is that someday when he/she has a problem and has exhausted all efforts to resolve, someone tells him it was a user issue for something completely out of his control... I mean c'mon, how the heck could msg's not sending be a user issue? It's either the App or T-mobile's network... last I checked when I sent a txt message I didn't jump into the code and say "ok, send to this tower and this relay point".

• j3nnybangbang

Well thank you for the patronizing post.  In no way did your statement help the issue.  I actually called and they said it seems to be an LG issue from the marshmallow update.  My boyfriend has a LG V10 as well and does not have this issue, so it is not all LG phones.  To presume that because we have issues with our LG phones makes us "inferior users" as compared to you, is asinine and inane.

Please see my post below from what i posted earlier.  This includes everything ive done on top of factory resetting my phone to fix this issue myself.  Thank you.

"I have lg v10, within the past few days i haven't been able to text my boyfriend who is also on the tmobile network.

I am able to text other people, and I am also able to receive his messages.

I checked my APN settings and they are all to default.

I've restarted my phone multiple times, and it will send him a message after 4-5 tries.

No, he has not blocked me, i know i have access to his account and we live in the same household.

Yes, I did clear out my Cache, and any old messages, i only have about 20 messages on my device currently.

Yes, i tried with wifi on and off."

• tmo_lauren

Would you be able to link me to any of the other forums where other users are having the same issues? I just want to compile as many examples as I can before I send it in. Response time from the manufacturer liaisons can be lengthy, so I try to get as much into the initial message as I can. If you don't answer by EOD, I will try to carve some time out to go searching myself, otherwise a link will help me collect info fastest.

I don't see why an unlock would make a change, but I can still make a note. Have you tried running the device with no (or as few) third party apps as possible? I don't mean just messaging, for any apps. We see issues sometimes where an utterly unrelated app interferes with the network (despite this being something that shouldn't happen) and disrupting basic functions like sms. If you have, wonderful, if you haven't, can you try at least temporarily just so I can mark that on the "already completed" list when I send the info off to be investigated?

j3nnybangbang we don't have a reported known issue at this time with LG, but I am trying to collect some info and get it sent off! It does seem like there may be a greater issue.

And again with snn, he's been on the forums for quite awhile here and typically has some great answers for those in need. I know tone doesn't always translate the best on the internet, and of course I can't speak for him, only to the reputation he's held other places on the forums which has typically always been helpful. Aaaand, you'd be surprised at some of the things we see out here that end up being user issues. The forums can be a fun place. That said, I am not sure that is indeed what's going on here, which is why I'm going to be reaching out to some contacts and seeing what we can fine.

Once I know more, we'll go from there!

-Lauren

• I can say that with each OS update, I have used the LG Bridge app on PC linked to the phone, which installs a fresh OS copy, instead of the usual OTA update that basically adds the new OS info to the old version.  Now, I had heard that LG had discontinued this feature, however, I am still able to check for updates as I always have.  Typically, users install updates OTA and that's that.  Others, install and factory reset.  I however, wait till notice comes that an update is available, then proceed to factory reset, then take the update, install, then reset once more.  Seems like a lot of hassle, however this has prevented me from having issues.  I have done this on Verizon LG G2s, and T-Mobile G4s.I have had astounding success with this method on Verizon G2s especially.  I reference VZW because, just like T-Mo, they are a carrier and also carry LG phones.  Yes, I believe the update procedure should be as easy as installing and it be 100% automated, however, none of this tech-speak is fool-proof.  Just like when buying a device you should be educated, so should you also be when attempting to rectify issues after the fact. 

• lemlaw

I have been having the EXACT problem with my SMS and MMS texting for the past month and I have spent hours and hours and hours scouring the forums trying to find a solution. Primarily, it has been with MMS messages - none of my group messages were going through at all.  I tried changing the APN settings and then reset to default; installing alt texting apps and uninstalling and using stock app; I have always used Chomp for texting and my group messages were not going out using the app either; I also tried Textra and Mood and Secure and none of them would work as well. I was ultimately able to get most of the SMS texting to work but MMS messages would still get stuck and then all go through at once, even with the same APN setting.  Incidentally, the APN default settings that show up on my Lg G4 are NOT the same as what is displayed on the TMobile device site - some of the options do not even appear.

FINALLY, on Friday, it seemed like things were working again.  And then tonight, after receiving a text and trying to open it, my phone emitted a loud buzzing noise that I have never heard before and shut down. It is now stuck at the LG Screen and after having a useless chat discussion with TMobile where he told me to CALL tech services (HOW CAN I CALL TECH SERVICES WHEN THE WHOLE REASON I AM CONTACTING TMOBILE BY CHAT IS BECAUSE MY PHONE DOES NOT WORK!!!), I will have to try to figure out time during my work day to actually GO to the tmobile store to have my phone replaced.  I have already dealt with the G4 boot loop manufacturer defect once and I am on my second g4 already...but I am seriously just SO fed up with T-Mo, LG, technology in general to tell you the truth!! After spending more than $700 on a phone that has frozen up twice, the hours I have spent trying to fix the texting problems I have had (which caused me to miss several critical work texts, which in turn, caused me to LOSE money), I just don't know what to do anymore!  BUT, TMobile should not make me go to the store and lose MORE money due to lost work! I have been a TMobile customer since 1998!!!  I have ALREADY HAD this boot loop issue - I am already facing additional lost data that I had not had a chance to back up (i.e. pictures!! because my Amazon auto upload was duplicating every single photo upload every time it would get interrupted in the middle of an upload! - not Tmobile issue of course, that is part of my "technology in general" comment) But seriously, I pay every month for the EXTENDED WARRANTY! JUST SEND ME A REPLACEMENT PHONE ALREADY!!! Don't make me waste more time!!!

And the reason I bring up the full G4 failure in this stream, is that I have read on the forums that the boot looping failure of the G4 is due to a manufacturer defect of the motherboard which is somehow associated with data usage. So...since my texting is data dependent, I thought perhaps, if the texting issues were not related to T-Mobile service, then perhaps they were a symptom of the G4 motherboard getting ready to crash....

ANYways...

• magenta2975183

I could send to one addressee but kept getting "Resend" when I tried to send/reply to a group. T-Mobile store could not figure it out. Found something on U-Tube & tried it - it fixed my problem. In settings => Mobile Manager => Access Point Names => T-Mobile US LIE => MMSC was set to http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com I changes it to  http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc and group messaging  started working