Can VoLTE work between carriers

kivel

I would like to know, if  VoLTE  would be useable, if I called someone from my T-Mobile to someone on Verizon, ATT, etc

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Can VoLTE work between carriers

VoLTE works on it's own. Does not rely on others on the other line.

• kivel

LTE does but VoLTE needs interoperability between the carriers according to what I have read.  T-Mobil announced over a year ago that they were working on gaining agreements with other carriers.  I wanted to know if this has been done and if so which carriers.

• tidbits

VoLTE does work even when not talking to a person

Go ahead and call a landline with your phone. If you phone supports VoLTE the. You will never drop LTE.

If you are thinking HD voice then you would have a point as there is not real standardized protocol for HD voice.

• kivel

This is what I am referring to:

From RCR Wireless News -

“AT&T Mobility and Verizon Wireless announced in late 2014 <http://www.rcrwireless.com/20141103/carriers/verizon-att-to-partner-on-volte-interoperability-tag2>  plans to work on cross-carrier VoLTE interoperability, with T-Mobile US also adding it was working with those carriers to further interoperability.”

From Fierce Wireless

“Currently, Verizon customers can only make VoLTE calls if they have a VoLTE-enabled smartphone and are calling another Verizon customer with a VoLTE-enabled smartphone.  Likewise AT&T customers with VoLTE-enabled smartphones can only make VoLTE calls with another AT&T customer with a VoLTE-enabled smartphone.”

• matesny

You must be referring to ViLTE, not VoLTE.

You can not do video calling with people not on T-Mobile network. You also need a device that supports ViLTE (H.264 codec on IMS)

• tidbits

^^That makes more sense

• kivel

No, I'm not talking about Video Calling. I am talking about Voice over LTE. VoLTE

• matesny

I make VoLTE calls to home, my landline company has nothing to do with it. If you are talking about HD Voice over VoLTE, that may require interoperability, but VoLTE itself does not require interoperability.

• kivel

I'm not talking about landlines. I am taking about calling from T-Mobil to a 'cellular phone' on AT&T & Verizon. If I they have not yet completed interoperability with T-Mobile then the call will not go over VoLTE it will go as a regular call, not over LTE. Which brings me all the way back to my original post.  Has T-Mobile worked out VoLTE interoperability with other carriers like Verizon & AT&T?

• matesny

VoLTE is not a VoIP solution. T-Mobile can carry your voice communications on the LTE Network while the other network can carry it on 2G on their end. These companies aren't looking to make VoLTE interoperable, they are looking to reduce their costs.

• tidbits

If a call doesn't go over LTE it will drop you down to HSPA for data do to the fact the other radio needs to be be active and use the antenna over LTE. This increase battery drain and production costs if you wanted a 3rd antenna. Make the call go over LTE then you don't need the extra antenna nor do you need to have the radio active unless your device can't connect to LTE.

Try it. Turn off VoLTE and then place a call. :)

• kivel

Let me make this as clear as possible. I am not talking about 'Data', nor 'Video Calls' nor 'Landlines'. I am taking about a cell Phone Call with Voice Over LTE sent from my T-Mobile cell phone and received on a Voice over LTE capable cell phone on another cell phone carrier such as AT&T and Verizon. T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon ALL announced LAST YEAR that they were working on VoLTE interoperability between them . Interoperability is required for a call to go end to end between carriers on VoLTE.  Has this interoperability been completed.  If so which carriers will VoLTE work with T-Mobile.

• matesny

You are confusing two things. VoLTE works in its own and yes we are talking about Voice over LTE, where landlines and data are completely RELEVANT.

VoLTE carries voice on data networks using IMS. In case of internetwork communications, there needs to be an NNI (network to network interface) for VoLTE to be truly VoLTE in its entirety. However, one network can carry all voice communications on its own LTE network if they deem appropriate (currently VoLTE is not even available in all markets). In this sense, VoLTE does not require interoperability. If an NNI is introduced between the core networks, VoLTE would be interoperable in a sense that the voice data packets can be transmitted between the core networks AS-IS. This makes things like HD Voice possible between inter-network calls.

Introduction of an NNI requires networks to add device and network parameters to all of their handsets and network devices, possibly through a SIM update.

I have not heard anything on T-Mobile's end whether they are working with other networks or not but T-Mobile is usually the first to introduce service based on the standards.

Your question may not be worded correctly as VoLTE is not something that "requires" interoperability.

• tidbits

I am telling you it already happens on our end. Doesn't matter their end. The only reason why it mattered was the fact was HD calling over VoLTE.

Like I said turn off VoLTE and place a call. You will drop LTE BECAUSE the antenna is needed GSM to place said call. Turning on VoLTE the GSM doesn't need the radio because the call goes over LTE.

• tidbits

The whole VoLTE thing is because of IMS needs to be standardized. VoLTE is part of it but doesn't need interloping. The parts like RCS(advanced messaging) for example needs interloping.

• matesny

There are many players out there making standards for the future of the communications. Whichever way you look at it, there will be no need to maintain voice only networks and IoT will be swallowing the voice communications as well.

VoLTE, while being convenient to users, is very limited in features and implementation, while RCS can, in principle, fill the little void VoLTE may leave behind and be fully interoperable. There will probably no significant push to deliver NNI solutions to LTE networks to facilitate inter-network VoLTE, but RCS is definitely the path communications will follow in near term.

There are also things like WebRTC, what may completely disrupt the communications industry or complement it. Yet to be decided.....

• segin

There's a major and stark difference between the VoLTE deployments of T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon

Verizon's and AT&T's VoLTE system only support placing calls to other VoLTE customers, and only whilst those customers are on LTE. If you're not both on LTE, then the call drops down to 3G (AT&T) or 2G (Verizon) and carries out the old fashioned way.

T-Mobile is different, VoLTE on T-Mobile has no such restrictions, and has absolutely no problem processing ALL calls, regardless of who or what you're calling. If a T-Mobile VoLTE handset is used to call an AT&T VoLTE handset, the T-Mobile handset remains on LTE, whilst the AT&T handset will drop to HSPA+ for legacy 3G voice.

Once full interoperability is established between all the major carriers, VoLTE calls will work both ways. It also will open the doorway for VoLTE calls from Verizon and AT&T phones to home phones served by cable companies using IMS-based VoDOCSIS.

TL;DR: T-Mobile VoLTE can call anything. Verizon and AT&T VoLTE can only call other VoLTE phones.