maciejkoziol

Is it better than lolipop?

How is battery life?

All replies

• sclarson

Re: How is marshmallow on your Galaxy S5??

So far so good, it's only been less than 24 hours but it appears the battery life is better.

• garbanzo99

Agree with @sclarson. Just updated last night but so far it's great. With last update my S5 was dog slow; now it's back to being very fast. Won't know about battery life for a few days.  I've been using Snapdragon Battery Guru app to manage battery drain; hope upgrade to Marshmallow will improve battery life.

• acy

Where can I see what changes will this update do?

• nathany395

My phone crashed after marshmallow update and is not moving past the t-mobile logo screen.

• justin_almeida

So far I've experienced some issues with Google Play and updating - as in, it refused to update and I kept getting the "Google Play needs to update" notification. Also the device reset itself multiple times. However, it is now acting normally (Play finally updated) so I'll just chalk it up to the update process. I'll chime in later after I play around with some of my apps and the camera.

Cheers!

• dougc

It took a while for Google Play Services to update on my wife's S5, but once that finished, the phone has been much snappier.

• soapbox55

It's much better than lolipop. No more memory leaks and it boots very quickly. This is likely due to Google helping Samsung on Touchwiz.

• sam9978

I upgraded then did a full reset and wiped the cache as well. So far it's pretty decent, though that's too be expected, but I'll have to wait at least a week or two before I make up my mind. I did notice the battery drain is a bit worse than before even with all the much hyped battery saving features of Android 6. But it's not too bad so far and I will report back how it's going in a week.

Otherwise there's really not a big difference between Android 5 and 6 besides a few extra security permissions and other little fixes and tweaks but nothing big that I've found yet, though I haven't really gotten into it.

• garbanzo99

Now that I've had MM installed for several days I'm updating my observations. I haven't done a full reset so keep that in mind.  My GS 5 is much smoother and faster than it had been on the final Lollipop version.  It had gotten to the point where it would sometimes hang for 5 seconds when I tried to switch apps.  Now it's almost instantaneous; no glitches or hangs. However, the battery drain hasn't improved. I don't know if it's just that my battery is getting old but when the phone was new I could easily get through a full day and still have 20%. Now I'm barely able to make it a full day.  Even if I'm hardly using the phone it's dropping 7-8% per hour.  Not sure what's draining it so quickly.

I couldn't live with how unresponsive my phone had become before the upgrade and had considered getting a new one. Now that that's resolved I can live with the battery drain issue and hope future updates will help (or I"ll try a fresh battery).

• safi12345

For people with bootloop after update (stuck on tmobile logo), go to recovery (home+power+volume up) and factory data reset and wipe cache and restart a couple times. If that doesn't work flash s5 tmobile rom from sammobile using Odin and then try. If it does not work then try to wipe cache again. Do not worry if your phone doesn't come out of bootloop. One of the above methods would get you through.

• justin_almeida

So it's been a week now, and so far I am very impressed with 6.0

My phone is incredibly responsive/fast, multitasking with ease. I don't know what was going on with 5.1 but whatever it was, I'm glad the upgrade fixed it.

The only issue I've been having is a weak/inaccurate GPS and the camera autofocus has a hard time working for about 10 seconds after I launch the camera app. But those issues have been around since 5.1 so I don't know if I just have a defective phone?

But overall I would give the marshmallow update a thumbs up!

• cccmikelee

Ditto with everything including the GPS.  Battery was much better on the first day but then went back to draining quickly after that.  Also I have an Issue where Now on Tap doesn't really work and everytime I launch it, it thinks it's the first time and I get prompted to agree and say I'm in.  Oh and the quick settings revert back to original after a reboot.

• maciejkoziol

Yeah i am experiencing same issues.

The quick settings thing is driving me nuts.

• sam9978

It's been a week now for me and while I did a complete reset so I don't have the issues mentioned above I am starting to experience the slow phone issues now especially with unlocking the phone which can take several seconds sometimes. Also chrome is very slow and freezes a lot but that might just be chrome, I've never seen it run well on any phone.

Light usage isn't too bad still but any heavy usage brings the phone to its knees, even stuff that worked fine on Android 4.

Oh, also typing is really buggy, and I've tried several keyboards, Google, Samsung and a few others but it can be very jumpy and sometimes jump positions when deleting letters with the backspace, etc.

Battery life was horrible but it's getting better now especially as app battery usage gets optimized etc.

Long story short, Android 6 is better than 5 but still no where near 4 in my opinion.

• safi12345

God this update is so crappy. My phone is heating up while charging, more than usual. Notification panel toggles get reset after a restart. Sync issues are there. 5.1.1 was so much better. At least I could root it and unlock the mobile data toggle and have it not revert back after a restart.

So guys should I revert back to 5.1.1? Or wait for a bug fix?

• joshsc

All these comments just reaffirm why I will never update my phone again.  Now that I've downgraded to the original OS, I've learned upgrading only brings headaches.  There's two things I won't sacrifice - Battery life how well the phone works and it seems no matter what update come, they seem to kill the battery life and make the phone laggy.