Unhappy New T-Mobile Customer

modriven

I switched over from ATT to T-Mobile recently because I thought it would be an easy transfer.  Unfortunately it has been a stressful and disorganized change.  I followed all their rules and guidelines for ETF submission from ATT.  I switched over 4 lines thinking that T-Mobile would cover the fees.  Almost 60 days into the change and a bill from ATT for $1500, I received a Mastercard from TMobile for $13.99.  How could this be?

I called T-Mobile which explained to me that my last bill which was submitted did not show ETF fees.  I was told before I switched over that my bill would be covered once all my numbers were ported over.  I was transferred to the reimbursement department but I was unable to reach anyone.  Why was I told one thing and then the outcome is another.  Now i am responsible for a $1500 bill from ATT which I was never late to pay ever and that price does reflect our phone pay offs, service, and taxes.  I feel like I was decieved from TMOBILE in order to switch to them.  If i knew this was going to happen I probably still would be ATT.  I am not a very happy customer. 

All replies

• e2k

Re: Unhappy New T-Mobile Customer

People often do not fully understand how the Carrier Freedom program functions. This may be due to a misunderstanding (on the part of the customer and/or the sales rep) or deliberate misrepresentation.

To clarify, T-Mobile does not pay your ETF or EIP directly. You must be prepared to pay your previous carrier's final bill out of pocket. The amount of reimbursement that you receive from T-Mobile depends on whether you have an ETF or EIP, the type of device you but from T-Mobile, and the trade-in value of your previous device.

I suggest reading through the details of the Carrier Freedom program, and calculating how much you should get vs. what you received. If there is a discrepancy, contact T-Force.

To contact T-Force

Go to the Contact Us page and use the Facebook, Twitter or Google Plus link under in the “Social Support” section.

• modriven

Well if its an often misunderstanding then the policy or wordage should be changed.  To clarify, I understand that T-Mobile does not pay directly the last bill.  I solely went ahead and paid the last ATT bill but where is my reimbursement?  There seems to be a giant loophole to get customers.  T-Mobile reps need to be trained properly in order to prevent this from happening.

• tidbits

Did you submit your phones or submit a phone for the ETF? If it was for the Next it had to be the exact device, but if it was for an ETF it had to be a device.

• drnewcomb2

T-Mobile used to get a lot of complaints about their trade-in & reimbursement program. There has been an issue in the past that some of the contractors that T-Mobile used to verify the customers' final bills found it easier to disallow the reimbursement than to wade through multiple pages of a bill to look for the ETF/EIP charges. It might help to copy the bill, circle or highlight the appropriate line items and resubmit. I would also start dealing with T-Mobile in writing (on paper), although it might help if T-Force were to take a look at the situation. One of them will look in on the thread before too long.

• tmo_mike_c

Switching shouldn't have been this stressful modriven and I'm sorry this didn't go smoothly for you. I do hope the Carrier Freedom page paints a clearer picture. T-Force is a great resource for having this looked at further. Have you given them a shot at this?