NEW BUG with Group Messaging?

makarios

Since the latest update, I noticed that the "group conversation" checkbox is missing from the messaging screen when messaging multiple recipients, and it would appear that none of my group texts are actually being sent.

The option to send as a group message is still in messenger settings, but toggling it also seems to have no effect.

This is with the stock Samsung Messaging app.

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Re: NEW BUG with Group Messaging?

Thanks so much for reaching out!

Have you tried clearing you messaging cache and then rejoining to conversation to see if this resolves the issue?

-Lauren

• tidbits

Did you use a backup?

• tidbits

The reason why I asked. I did this test a long while back. When using a back whether a Samsung, Google, or 3rd party backup it would mess up settings. 

For example.

Tapping DND settings and even turning it on would crash settings.

Quick charging would never happen and even lost the settings.

Wifi calling wouldn't place calls through.

There's a lot more and I tested 9 different devices and all had some weird quirk. Doing a clean install every time I have yet to run into any problems.  You may need to start from scratch and do a factory reset and not use any backups. Syncing doesn't count as backup.

• makarios

Just checking in to see if you have heard anything from your contact at Samsung yet Lauren.

I notice the question has been marked as "assumed answered", though I'm not sure why since the original issue has no answer yet, except to abandon the stock messaging app and download another app from the store.

I see that there is a new July 5th update -- and I'm holding onto hope that it will somehow fix the issue, but it seems to have not rolled-out to me yet, as my phone still claims it is up to date.

• tmo_lauren

I'm still monitoring, so I haven't gone anywhere. I will send another follow up, last time I heard it was going down the chain, but I will poke again to see if the update has any fixes included!

-Lauren

• makarios

Thanks for that.

I looked around to see if I could find a change-log for the update, and didn't come up with anything.

The only other option would be to wait and see if Google's new Allo messenger will be an improvement . However looking at their previous Messenger and Hangouts apps doesn't really give me much encouragement.

Messenger doesn't even have group support at all, and Hangouts is a total cluster-bomb in my option.

• makarios

Updating this again to inform of the current status.

Since nothing was ever heard from Samsung, and Google's Allo is still forthcoming I went ahead and got ChompSMS from the store. It seemed to be the only one that supported the Contact Groups, as well as the option to send to group via individual messages or chat.

$2.99 from the store.

It is sad that this was the only resolution. Not the price of the app, but the fact that I had to actually go purchase an app from the store to replace a feature Samsung removed, and then didn't even bother responding, to me, or to a T-Mobile rep, when a customer requests a response... especially for their "flagship" phone.

Well, Here's hoping the current Visual Voicemail issue gets fixed. I have more faith in T-Mobile than Samsung.